• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Always on Time - allies on the train

coreydshaw

Explorer
Our group is going to start Always on Time tonight, and in going over the Planning Montage I noticed that there are a few contingencies the party can use to get allies on the train, but no stat blocks are provided for those allies. I'd like to figure out at least what levels those allies would be so I could be upfront with my group about what they'll get for their time (and possibly rolls) during the montage. Currently I'm thinking an Allied Passenger would be a level 1 minion (since it requires no check), and the low-level RHC agents would be a level 5 minion for the first, and a level 8 minion for the second (as part of the security detail, he'd be more armed). Is this in line with what you had in mind, Ryan? I could also make the agents lower-level goons or use the two-hits-to-kill trait so they last a bit longer in a fight. I'm just trying to strike a good balance between making them worth spending the action during the montage, but also keeping them out of the spotlight and simple to manage during combat.
Also, note that this is for the 4E version so the PCs will be level 8-9. Thanks for your input!

Normally allies for the PCs come in the form of allied officers (level 1) or allied soldiers (level 5). Stats are in adventure 2.

Level 8 folks, as minions, would be slightly less powerful than a standard level 1 person, XP-value-wise. But the Allied Guys are designed more as set dressing and speed-bumps than as full on companions. They go down after one hit, grimacing in pain and wishing they were as brave as those guys from the RHC, but even though they're not dying they just can't bring themselves to keep fighting through their injuries. It takes 'em a little while (short rest) to gather their strength.

But sure, a level 8 minion, representing a well-trained RHC agent who nevertheless doesn't have as much grit as a full PC, would work for me. Give him a bit of personality, though. The Allied Officers and Soldiers are more cannon fodder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads