D&D 4E Am I crazy? I've just gotten a hankering to play 4e again...

I often think about running a bit of 4E again, but with the DDI dead, my enthusiasm just dies again. 4E was a great game, but the DDI is what kept quite a large, complex game properly organised and accessible to the players, and as it got shut down permanently not so long ago, I just can't really face leafing through books trying to find stuff, not when the DDI was there in one form or another for most of the time we seriously played 4E. I have copies of most (not all, sadly, I couldn't log in during the free period near the end, it just wouldn't take my login) of the characters we played and actually I think all of the monsters I created/modified (as PDFs) but... I want that lovely online rules encyclopedia and so on.

I guess 5E will eventually see the same fate with Beyond and stuff, but I suspect it'll last a long time after any 6E.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I often think about running a bit of 4E again, but with the DDI dead, my enthusiasm just dies again. 4E was a great game, but the DDI is what kept quite a large, complex game properly organised and accessible to the players, and as it got shut down permanently not so long ago, I just can't really face leafing through books trying to find stuff, not when the DDI was there in one form or another for most of the time we seriously played 4E. I have copies of most (not all, sadly, I couldn't log in during the free period near the end, it just wouldn't take my login) of the characters we played and actually I think all of the monsters I created/modified (as PDFs) but... I want that lovely online rules encyclopedia and so on.

I guess 5E will eventually see the same fate with Beyond and stuff, but I suspect it'll last a long time after any 6E.

It's really not as bad as you think, without DDI. We played a lot without it, and it's an adjustment, but not that bad. I've wanted to play Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I think it would go well on Roll20, even without the DDI. Once the players have their PCs entered into the Roll20 character sheet, there isn't much they'd need outside of their power descriptions, and there are online resources for those. And the DM will have the adventure in-hand, and the maps to upload can be found. In fact that same guy uploaded Assault On Nightwyrm Fortress Encounter Maps.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
It's really not as bad as you think, without DDI. We played a lot without it, and it's an adjustment, but not that bad. I've wanted to play Madness at Gardmore Abbey. I think it would go well on Roll20, even without the DDI. Once the players have their PCs entered into the Roll20 character sheet, there isn't much they'd need outside of their power descriptions, and there are online resources for those. And the DM will have the adventure in-hand, and the maps to upload can be found. In fact that same guy uploaded Assault On Nightwyrm Fortress Encounter Maps.

Hey, I was feeling same as @Ruin Explorer ; but you have given me hope that maybe R20 or FG supports 4e?

Remove ads