Am i reading this correctly?

Quinn

First Post
Ok, in the "real" world, this would be impossible because the human body isn't built to run that fast (muscle damage, problems with friction, etc.)

But since D&D nowhere resembles the real world, we'll just say that it's possible, and leave it at that. I mean, if you accept magic, and dragons, and the undead, surely you can accept this.

As for it being broken, I don't see it. Sure, you can move REALLY fast. To what end, though? Despite your speed, you still start your turn depending on your initative roll. No matter how fast you run past enemies, they still get their AoOs. You can run into trouble, just as fast as you can run out of it. A wizard or a sorcerer with Dimension Door or Teleport could go farther than a monk in one round. And last, if Dash and Run is how you want to spend your feats, then god bless ya.

Zhure

First Post
Nezumi 40 feet
Barbarian 1 +10 base
Psychic Warrior 1-19
Feats
1st- Weapon Focus (whatever, to take advantage of free Weapon Specialization at PsyWar 6)
Psywar 1- Speed of Thought
Psywar 2- Speed of Thought x2
3rd- Run
Psywar 5- Speed of Thought x3
6th- Endurance
Psywar 8- Speed of Thought x4
9th- Speed of Thought x5
Psywar 11- Speed of Thought x6
12th- Speed of Thought x7
PSywar 14- Speed of Thought x8
15th- Speed of Thought x9
Psywar 17- Speed of Thought x10
18th- Quicken Power

Powers: Burst, Skate, Hustle

Normal = (40 (Nezumi) + 10 Barbarian + 100 (Speed of Thought)) = 150, x5 Run = 750 feet per round.
As long as the character doesn't spend any power points, he can run at 750 feet per round. 85.22 mph.

All out, he can use Burst 21 times a day for free (+10), spend 1 PP to use Skate (+30 if downhill) and spend 9 PP to Quicken a Hustle to get an extra partial action (the hustle is from the round before). That's 190 x 5 = 950 feet per round, + 190 feet per round is 1140 feet per round. That's 129.54 mph. He spends 10 PP so he can do this burst of speed 10 times a day before he has to start to worry about slowing down his speed by dropping below his 36 PP minimum for his Speed of Thought.

All of this is without any magic items at all.

Other approaches are to use Boots of Speed (backed up with potions of haste and a monk's belt (activated with Use Psionic Device emulating being a monk)) in lieu of the complicated and tricky Quickened Hustle and adding Speed of Thought 12 in place of Quicken Power.

While this character has few "useful" feats, he has a lot of useful powers, only consuming 3 of his 27 powers known for this tactic. He can also strike an easy middle ground and drop half of these Speed of Thoughts and still have a great movement of 100.

Greg

Stalker0

Legend
Isn't there something in a monk book or the epic ph that talks about varients for extra things for high speed?

I mean at that speed, I'd have to give the guy something:)

Belen

Adventurer
Boots of Springing and Striding only double speed up to 50. Therefore a Monk using the books could move at 100/ round MAX!

Remove ads