Am i reading this correctly?

Garrett

First Post
Check out the Blade Dancer from the OA.
Base speed is 40, at lvl 10 your base speed is now 120.
one level of monk makes the difference( or barb, or anything with faster move, incl. feats). (90 spd as opposed to 120)
however, add in all that jazz, and what do you have? some sick movement.
now do the jump thing.
I wish I had kept that scrap when I did the jump distance calculation. Blade dancers get a +30 I believe to jump and tumble. plus insane people like me would max out the skill anyways (and tumble for some fancy acrobatics) . If I remember righ I got something like 450 feet on a bad roll...But I was doing some wishful thinking with the ninja spy from the OA as well (for an additional +20 to jump and tumble).

I dont see a problem with it, if thats the kind of charcter you want. Then thats the kind of character you should make.

If your looking for a cap. Sure I'd cap it eventually. I doubt that I would cap it before the charcter reached the speed of sound. Assuming its possible.
Besides, most those classes mentioned (mon, Ninja spy, and Blade dancer) are supposed to be quick and agile. its what sets them apart from the fighters and paladins.
Speed is not power.

Taloras

First Post
Hmm..haste would work.....that would put him up to 100 miles an hour or so :D Expeditious retreat would not work, as its essentially the same as boots of striding and sprining and would overlap, but not stack.

Andion Isurand

First Post
At this point, I think the wind would be making the Monk's eyes water. He needs goggles.

Multiclassing into a level of Shadow Scout (OA) will also add +10 ft. to movement.

Last edited:

Spatzimaus

First Post
One level of Psychic Warrior, taking Speed of Thought as your bonus Feat. It's a lot like going Barbarian, except no need for an alignment fudge.

Demon Knight: Expeditious Retreat doesn't stack with the Boots of Springing & Striding, since they replicate its effects and use it as a prerequisite.

But, I'm with Crothian here... you're really fast, but how is this broken? Even when you consider jumping, it's still inferior to flight. A Psion can use the level 6 power Improved Fly to get a movement of 180' (150' in heavy armor); that's more than enough for most uses. Or Teleport/Dimension Strike/Shadow Walk/Dream Travel.

Now, if charge damage increased based on your movement rate, then this'd be impressive, but under the core rules it doesn't help too much. I've found that a base movement higher than 50' or so just isn't needed; you can pretty much get anywhere on the map you need to go.

bret

First Post
Taloras said:
Im just saying this. If you are moving that fast, and put your foot down, its gonna hurt. Plain and simple friction.

D&D doesn't have physics as we know it.

Reference: Sage Advice reprinted in 2nd printing of PHB.

First two columns, same page as the Powerplay with Whip + Animate Rope.

An0nymo|_|s

First Post
If you want to blow this out of the water take a level of blade dancer...so 19th level monk, 1st level blade dancer.

it doubles your movement again (well, adds the base, wutever) so he has a base movement of 200. hrmmm

Demon Knight

First Post
Ok, go with me here.

A 19/1 level Paragon Centaur Monk/Barbarian.

Base speed: 150 ft
Fast Movement: +70
Boots of Striding: x2
Dash
Run

Total Speed: 445 ft/round
Running Speed: 2225ft/round, 22250ft/minute, approx. 252.84 miles per hour.

I may have the math wrong, as I'm not sure if the Paragon's tripling of the base speed is also doubled by the Boots of Striding...

pingpong

First Post

monk movement above 50' is considered supernatural.

Boots of Striding and Springing double your normal (non-supernatural) movement.

a monk with these boots tops out at 100' movement.

i dont know how Dash works in to this.

Remove ads