TSR Am I The Only One Buying Up the DMs Guild Reprints?

Voadam

Legend
one problem... IIRC, for DTRPG to do those great scans, they have to essentially destroy an original copy to get them (I think one of their people said that on another website I hang out on). Destroying one of those early copies seems a bit... like heresy. :p
So a sacrifice is required?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
If you already have Tsojcanth, I'd pick up Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun - it's connected, although neither is dependent on the other.

Also, maybe someone else already mentioned it, but DMs Guild is having a sale on these old adventures.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I am not sure that's true. You could well be right, but OTOH if Friends can be stupendously popular with people who weren't born when it originally aired, why not old D&D books?

The vast majority of current D&D players are supposed to be new to 5e, so would have not have played Spelljammer the first time around. But WotC are still producing Spelljammer for 5e (some of use might grumble that it is "in name only", but even so they obviously feel that name has value to their current audience).

_
glass.
Yeah, but they can get their curiosity filled by the POD and PDF versions. No need to get originals. People aren't looking for the original DVDs of Friends...

glass

(he, him)
Yeah, but they can get their curiosity filled by the POD and PDF versions.
True, but the same can be said of older fans who missed them the first time around (or lost them since), yet someone is buying them.

Once something becomes collectible, logic leaves the building. See late 70s/early 80s guitars which now command vintage prices, despite the fact that the vintage guitar market became a thing due to those guitars being considered inferior to 50s and 60s guitars when they were new.

_
glass.

Nope, you aren't the only one. I'm buying all of the BECMI books that they offer. My goal, since I was a 6th grader, is to have all of the Basic D&D books, and now with Print-On-Demand services it looks like it might finally be possible!

They aren't offering the boxed rulebooks yet, but I was able to grab a reprint of the Rules Cyclopedia. I have the originals, which I collected slowly and at great expense over the years, but I would like to have a clean POD copy of all four.

I have acquired all of their Gazetteers (except for "Orcs of Thar," which I'm not interested in).

The modules are the next major push for my collection:
  • I have all of the Basic modules except for B2, "The Keep on the Borderlands" (I had ordered it, but had to return it because it arrived damaged and I'm waiting on them to reissue it), and B3 "Palace of the Silver Princess." So close!
  • I have all of the Expert modules except for X1, "The Isle of Dread" (seriously?! It's probably the most popular adventure ever published, in any edition. How is this not available in print-on-demand?! -ahem. Sorry.) X3 "Curse of Xanathon," and X9 "The Savage Coast."
  • For the Companion modules, I just ordered CM4 "Earthshaker," and I still need CM5 "Mystery of the Snow Pearls" and CM6, "Where Chaos Reigns."
  • I have all of the Master modules except for M2, "Vengeance of Alphaks" and M3, "Twilight Calling."
As for the Accessories, I have barely started. I've only gotten AC10, "Bestiary of Giants and Dragons" so far. I'd love for them to reprint AC9, because it's my favorite...

I have PC3, "Creature Crucible: The Sea Folk," but it is the only Creature Crucible being offered in POD at this time.

I'm not super-interested in the Immortals set; in my opinion it was more of a superhero RPG than a fantasy RPG, and that's just not my thing.

...anyway. You're definitely not alone. :)

View attachment 249163
Weird question: how thick is the whole Gazetteer stack? Trying to see if it would fit in my bookshelf…

Thanks

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Weird question: how thick is the whole Gazetteer stack? Trying to see if it would fit in my bookshelf…

Thanks
They stack perfectly. With the exception of one book (CM1, "Test of the Warlords", which was an obvious misprint and was replaced free of charge), all of the POD copies that I've ordered from DriveThruRPG are the same height and width.

Andvari

Hero
I got the Rules Cyclopedia reprint because I remember borrowing it from the library as a kid, the awesome beholder artwork, and I wanted a good OD&D rules reference.

Interestingly, they botched it the first time around and gave me a book with the Rules Cyclopedia cover but with the contents of the 2E Dark Sun Campaign Setting.. They of course sent me a proper version when I raised the problem with them, but now I own both a mutant RC/DS reprint and a real RC reprint. :)

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I believe it is without Lovecraft and Moorcock, just the Erol Otus cover and word swap of Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore in the text as differences.

My PDF version is from Paizo though so I can't say from personally seeing drivethru's files. I have the drivethru PDF of the OD&D Gods Demigods & Heroes anniversary reprint and it does not have the Howard or Moorcock parts from the original.

I have physical photocopies of the two 1e missing mythoses from a friends' older book and I am glad I have them.

It seems like there is no legal problem with them putting out the older full version, but I will not be holding my breath.
Yes, I can confirm that the PDF from Drivethru doesn't have those two sections.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases