• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

amazon: Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress: A Hip Girl's Guide to the D&D Game

drscott46

First Post
Good lord. This thread is pretty strong evidence as to why WotC would need to publish pandersome books to get girls involved in the first place. Because some of you sure ain't gonna get the job done.

dcas

First Post
drscott46 said:
Good lord. This thread is pretty strong evidence as to why WotC would need to publish pandersome books to get girls involved in the first place. Because some of you sure ain't gonna get the job done.
Well, in all honesty I don't care whether women play D&D or RPGs in general, anyway. And I'm not sure why one would care (I know why WOTC might care; I suppose they view women as a huge, untapped, and potentially profitable market). D&D is a game; it's not like the women (and men, for that matter) who don't play will be missing out on some valuable education or life experience.

iwatt

First Post
Cutty Sark said:
And I have met a couple of Latin American women who were pretty close to apoplexy about how sexist Spanish is.

Well, I have met more than a couple of Latin American women (see my location) and I can tell you that the perception of sexism in language is so far down the ladder of relevant debate topics that until I came to ENworld I never knew this was something worth discussing. And before you ask, I'm Chilean, I lived 10 years in Ecuador and a large part of my family lives in Argentina, so my sample base is pretty extensive and diverse.

Almost every noun has a gender in Spanish, with about half the words been male and the other female. Every once in a while there is a discussion about the gender of some new words (La Presidente v/s La Presidenta), which soon get settled.

werk

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Okay, you:
Haven't read the book.
Haven't met the author.
Know nothing beyond the title of the book in regards to content.

And on the grounds of your complete lack of knowledge you go and rate the book as '1', on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10?

Very good. You have renewed my faith in human nature.

The Auld Grump

Did you go to the page linked in the OP? If not, go there, and tell me how you rate the material found there.

I rated it a 1, because that was as low as the rating system would allow...it is more appropriately a zero due to lack of information...or negative due to initial impressions of the product from the information provided.

I would consider that a thorough review. If you want marketing, at least write a product description or something...anything.

Last edited:

werk

First Post
Dunno if anyone else dropped her into google, but here's her bio.

"Shelly Mazzanoble
Shelly Mazzanoble believes her childhood was too functional to become a really good writer, so she has decided to go insane. She likes to think of herself as the Snow White of Seattle, living among loads of personified inanimate objects and imaginary friends, including her teddy bear Pooh and her condo, Betty. "

Dunno why I'm having trouble taking her seriously or giving her due credit for such a thought provoking title.

werk said:
Dunno if anyone else dropped her into google, but here's her bio.

"Shelly Mazzanoble
Shelly Mazzanoble believes her childhood was too functional to become a really good writer, so she has decided to go insane. She likes to think of herself as the Snow White of Seattle, living among loads of personified inanimate objects and imaginary friends, including her teddy bear Pooh and her condo, Betty. "

Dunno why I'm having trouble taking her seriously or giving her due credit for such a thought provoking title.

She's written articles in Seattle publications. She's entertaining. I like her. She's not trying to sell herself as a writer for the Economist or Jane's Defense for f***'s sake.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
werk said:
Maybe because the title isn't thought provokingly serious? Or because authors rarely get to pick the title of their books, especially authors hired by large publishers (WotC in this case) to write a book whose subject was chosen by committee?

Kid Socrates

First Post
While I'm not exactly the target demographic for this book (being a 24-year-old male), I look forward to snagging it off the shelf of Barnes & Noble and reading it for a few minutes to see what it's like.

Heaven forbid an author crack a joke in her bio, too.

Aus_Snow

First Post
dcas said:
I don't know what the academic world is like now, but when I was in high school and college using "they" as a third person singular was definitely not permitted.
Well, this particular academic recognises the widespread use and legitimacy of the singular 'they' in the English language: Geoffrey Pullum, Professor of Linguistics at the University of California, Santa Cruz, and co-author of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language.

Suffice it to say, he is not the only one.

If you wish to discuss this further, I am willing, but perhaps this is not the right thread. :)

Fishbone

First Post
Forget hip, she looks like she has child bearing hips.
I'd nail it twice every day of the week, three times on the weekends and four times on federal holidays.
But I do like them a little older.
/I put on my robe and wizard hat.

Remove ads