• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

America's Stonehenge???

JamesDJarvis

First Post
I live a few miles from there (in the same town). i've been there a couple of times over the years, it used to be called "Mystery Hill" and i like the old name more.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Not likely. It's likely the remnants of early colonial farmers.

Early colonial farmers seldom bulit anything out of stone aside from the stone marker walls that still thread along long forgotten property lines. Not that I'm saying "it was the Celts" but it is certainly curious and doesn't follow construction patterns of any of the likely suspects (local native americans and colonial farmers).

sniffles

First Post
JamesDJarvis said:
Early colonial farmers seldom bulit anything out of stone aside from the stone marker walls that still thread along long forgotten property lines. Not that I'm saying "it was the Celts" but it is certainly curious and doesn't follow construction patterns of any of the likely suspects (local native americans and colonial farmers).

Maybe it was the Colonial equivalent of Carhenge? :p

JamesDJarvis

First Post
sniffles said:
Maybe it was the Colonial equivalent of Carhenge? :p

Nah that would have been a bunch of overturned wagons or maybe a ring of outhouses.
America's Stonehenge is really just a bad name as it looks nothing like stonehenge, carhenge does it much much better.

JamesDJarvis said:
From the Wikipedia article. Granted, it's just wikipedia, but still:
The site has become a popular tourist attraction, with appeal to believers in New Age systems. Some say the site could be an astronomical observatory built by some unknown, pre-Columbian civilization. They point to the fact that some stones are encased in trees that sprouted before the arrival of the first colonists, and to similarities between the ruins and Phoenician architecture. On the other hand, artifacts found on the site lead many mainstream archaeologists to think that the stones were assembled for various reasons by farmers in the 18th and 19th centuries. For example, a much-discussed "sacrifical stone," which contains grooves that some say channeled blood, looks very much like "lye-leaching stones" found on many old farms. As the name suggests, these stones were used to extract lye from wood ashes, the first step in the manufacture of soap.

The site's history is muddled partly because of William Goodwin, an insurance agent who bought the area in 1936 and became convinced that Mystery Hill was proof that Irish monks lived there long before Christopher Columbus. He moved a lot of the stones around to support his idea, and the current owners, the America's Stonehenge Foundation, say his efforts are "one of the reasons the enigma of Mystery Hill is so deep".

I guess I misspoke when I said early colonial formers. 18th and 19th century farmers are certainly post-colonial farmers.

Torm

Explorer
I was worried that this thread was referring to something that was brought to the attention of my pagan discussion group a while back.

As featured on Crank.net, under Apocalypse. Got a "Crankiest" rating. :D

The "America's Stonehenge" you're referring to seems like a much more reliable landmark. ;)

Torm

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
I guess I misspoke when I said early colonial formers. 18th and 19th century farmers are certainly post-colonial farmers.
Depending on which part of the 18th century, that's still colonial, so its all good. :)

Theron

Explorer
People build anachronistic stuff. It plays hell with archaeologists sometimes, but usually a bit of digging into the historical record will unearth the truth.

Take this place:

comanche.jpg

It is, for all intents and purposes, a Norman shell keep standing on a hill in northeast San Antonio, Texas. When I was growing up, there were all sorts of crazy legends about it, that it dated to frontier times and was part of a larger fort built to fight the Comanche, that it was the site of devil worship, all matter of things. In truth, it was built around 1923 or so by a man who liked castles. It's a city park now.

Remove ads