An "appropriate" system for LOTR?

Jeph

Explorer
WizarDru said:
Not if he's planning on playing in the Third Age or acting as any but one of the five Istari, he's not. :)

There's no reason they couldn't play another Valar, recently descended to Middle Earth for some task or other.

med stud

First Post
Jeph said:
There's no reason they couldn't play another Valar, recently descended to Middle Earth for some task or other.

I think you meant maiar, not valar ;)

I think this would be very possible in the far east or south of Middle Earth. The arrival of a maia in the west though would be bound to affect the story line of the books as there werent that many of them in Middle Earth in the third age (AFAIK there was seven of them in LoTR).

Of course, this doesnt matter if you dont care for the story line. It would be intimidating to role play an entity old as creation, though ;)

Myris

First Post
I agree that d20 can't really do LOTR justice. I've never really agreed with a lot of D&D's treatment of classes (for example, the Bard), and the standard D&D classes would not work with LOTR unless heavily modified.

I haven't picked up Decipher's LOTR game, but from what I've read here, I doubt if I will. Something that might work (and I hope this doesn't seem like plugging): Khan's Press is releasing within the next couple of weeks a campaign called ElfClash: Realm of Lanai. The Player's Guide has a couple of new magic systems that would work better with LOTR (they might need to be modified slightly, but a lot less than the standard system) and the standard classes are heavily modified, and would fit better with LOTR (for instance the Lanai Bard would be like Gandalf at high levels). There aren't many magic-using classes and magic's hard to come by as well, so a lot of the things mentioned for LOTR on this thread are present in the game. You might want to check it out, when it's out. With a little modification of it and Middle Earth's setting, you might be able to swing a good LOTR game :) I hope this can help a little!

I really hope they do come up with a better system for LOTR. I can't really think of one that would work (without modification of some sort). I think that if they came up with a good system for LOTR, it would likely be well worth the trouble...

Remove ads