An "appropriate" system for LOTR?

nharwell

Explorer
Decipher's game is an excellent adaptation -- perhaps the best game "representation" of a series of books/films that I've seen.

Here are some sample information from the book:
http://www.decipher.com/lordoftherings/rpg/products/corebook/index.html

And some useful forums:
http://forum.trek-rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=24

It's a skill and ability based system with "orders" (similar to classes) that help determine what one has access to; orders are much less rigid than D&D classes, however, and can be changed. Magic in the system is subtle but powerful (as in Tolkien's work). Most notably, the mechanics encourage the values of the books (honor, valor, etc.) without being tied to any kind of alignment system. It's very well done. My only complaint is that the core rulebook isn't particularly well organized.

As a side note, I believe that you could certainly make a D20 Middle-Earth game; I don't think, however, that you could really make any kind of D&D adaptation that would feel right. Levels, alignment, and classes, while sometimes irritating, could all work well in a Middle-Earth game. Other "core" aspects of D&D, though -- armor class, hit points, flashy and powerful magic -- are antithetical to the setting, IMHO. You could easily use something like Mutants and Masterminds -- or maybe adapt D20 modern if you created an appropriate magic system.

Last edited:

med stud

First Post
I think Riddle of Steel would be a nice system for LoTR, especially the spiritual attributes. The magic system would have to be modified though.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Galeros said:
Well, as most of us know, d20 just does not work for a LOTR style game.

Err, who is this "most of us"?

There are plenty of people who think otherwise. Check out the site in my sig for the work some of them have done.

Last edited:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
johnsemlak said:
The Middle Earth d20 site is hosted at EN World, and administered by EN World member Colonel Hardisson. I'm not very familiar with the site. Just looking briefly it appears to be a collection of house rules to give Middle earth flavor rather than a comprehensive system.

Essentially, that's what it is. Some people did attempt to give a comprehensive treatment, but others contributed bits and pieces.

Given how Decipher's LotR game bears a very strong resemblance to d20, and has been praised for how well it evokes the setting, I think saying d20 can't handle LotR, or any given setting, is simply making an assumption based on little actual research into the system and setting. Decipher's CODA system is essentially "d20 Lite" using 2d6 as the core mechanic, with simplified combat and somewhat more customizable classes. If anyone wants to see my extensive review of the game, including some notes I made after running a 2 month campaign using the game, and which compares CODA and d20, let me know and I'll post it.

Ysgarran

ColonelHardisson said:
If anyone wants to see my extensive review of the game, including some notes I made after running a 2 month campaign using the game, and which compares CODA and d20, let me know and I'll post it.

My first no-brainer of the day. Of COURSE I'd love to see it. I'm pretty sure that I'm not just speaking for myself.

kengar

First Post
Decipher's system does an excellent job of capturing the feel of Middle Earth. I don't believe d20 is incapable of modelling a ME game, but d20 != D&D. Dungeons & Dragons is the wrong game for Middle Earth, IMO. Yes, you can make house rules, etc. but there's a point at which it simply makes more sense to play a different system.

Endur

First Post
I think you could run D&D in a Middle Earth setting.

Here is a copy of my house rules for Middle Earth D&D 3.5 (loosely based on the En World Middle Earth conversion site)

Middle Earth Races (Hobbits, Dwarves, Elves, Humans):

Hobbits, as per halflings, but +2 to will saves instead of +2 to fear saves.

Dwarves: as per PHB.

Noldor Elf: D&D Gray Elf with Half-Celestial Template (LA +4, No wings, no DR, but elf bonuses below).
Sylvan Elf: D&D Wood Elf (LA +1 including elf bonuses)
Sindarin Elf: D&D High Elf (LA +1 including elf bonuses)
All Elves have the following additional traits:
Immortal.
Immune to natural cold, normal and magical diseases, Immune to Fear from Undead, can not be transformed into undead, immune to scarring.
Can communicate silently with other Elves, and Maiar and Valar, by direct thought. This is similar to the psionic power Mindlink.
+2 racial bonus to perform (sing) checks
Automatic language: Sindarin

Dunadan: LA +1, +2 wis, +2 chr, extra skill points and extra feat like a human, and all half-elf traits.

Other Men: Human

Ranger and Paladin classes: Use Complete Warrior non-spell casting variant.
Fighter and Rogue: no changes
Bard: available (and exempt from the half-spell casting requirement).
Sorceror, Wizard, Cleric, and Druid: need special permission (see below for spells)
Monk: Not available.

Characters can be spell casters only with special permission from the GM. Maximum of half levels can be in Sorceror, Wizard, Cleric, or Druid. Other levels must be in racial LA, racial hit dice, other classes, etc.

Nazgul radiate terror in a large area. Anyone with less hit dice than the Nazgul is panicked if they fail a will save; those with equal or more hit dice are shaken. The Will Save DC is 10 + ½ Nazgul hd + chr modifier.

Neowolf

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
The fighter, barbarian, and rogue classes could be kept as-is. I would replace the ranger class with the non-spellcasting variant from Complete Warrior. It's possible that Bards could still be a class, since music seems to be a major part of Middle Earth. Druids, Clerics, Paladins, and Monks would not be suitable for this setting.

Sorcerers and Wizards would need some drastic changes, considering that magic in Middle Earth seems to be a lot more subtle than in other settings (otherwise, Gandalf could have singlehandedly inflicted massive casulties on Sauron's armies with a few well-placed evocation spells).

I've got to take issue with a few of your points. I feel that Druids would fit pretty well, if kept within reason. Same with Paladins.

One idea I had in order to keep magic in check was to say that for every level someone takes in a spellcasting class, they have to take one in a non-casting class (alternating). That would ensure that even if the game went to 20th level (which is inappropriate for LotR anyway), you wouldn't have more than 10 levels in any one caster class.

It could be argued too that Middle Earth has no arcane magic, only divine. How often do we ever see Gandalf studying a spellbook? For that to work though, you'd have to assume that not all clerics are religious figures, but could perhaps be classified as those who bring hope in dark times.

Anyway, enough of my jabbering, just thought I'd throw in my two cents. :)

Remove ads