An good ECL 0 cat races

Old One

First Post
Saar from Faded Glory Campaign

Here is the Saar a felinoid race from my homebrewed Faded Glory metioned by Darklone above, commentary/critiques are welcome...

Saar

Saar Racial Traits
  • + 2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence: Saar are quite nimble, but not as hardy as other races. In addition, they are not quite as intelligent as some, but often have very strong personalities.
  • Medium-size: As Medium-sized creatures, Saar have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
  • Saar base sped is 30 feet.
  • Lowlight Vision: Saar can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
  • + 2 racial bonus to Listen checks: Saar have keen hearing and often pick up sounds that others miss.
  • +2 racial bonus to Balance, Tumbling and Escape Artist Checks: Saar are sure-footed and flexible.
  • May take Scent as a feat at 1st level: Many Saar have keen senses of smell, so Scent (see DMG) is available as a feat, but it must be taken at 1st level.
  • Illiterate: Saar cannot read or write at 1st level. Saar have a strong oral tradition, but no written language. Saar may spend 2 skill points anytime after 1st level to become literate in Tradespeak or another written language.
  • Favored Class: Bard or Sorcerer. A Multiclass Saar’s bard or sorcerer class does not count when determining whether it suffers an XP penalty for multiclassing (see PHB page 56).

Game Information

Background: Saar are feline humanoids that typically live in small, nomadic bands that constantly travel from place to place in brightly colored wagons. Many bands are actually troupes of touring players, traveling from town to town and entertaining folk for a living. They are equally at home in urban or rural settings, but rarely stay in one place for more than a few seasons. No one is quite sure where the Saar originated, although their strong oral storytelling tradition speaks of a “Great Father” that gave life to the Saar (some sages speculate that the Saar where created by a powerful wizard from his feline familiar in ages past, but no one knows for sure).

Appearance: Saar are tall, usually half a foot taller than humans, and slender. Saar have muted feline features and are covered by a fine layer of soft fur. Their appearance varies widely, with all of the markings of common house cats and large hunting cats in evidence. Saar tend towards bright colored clothing and are fond of jewelry. Most Saar that use weapons prefer edged weapons to blunt, and all Saar carry at least a trusty dagger. Saar sorcerers almost always summon a cat to be their familiar (although they are not required to do so).

Relations: Saar get along well with most other races, although the do poke fun at Khazardyn, whom they feel lack the proper sense of humor. They do have a special affinity for halflings and a Saar troupe will often accompany a halfling trading caravan on its journey. Saar have a special enmity for Gnolls and the antipathy is returned many fold by the Gnolls, who have destroyed many Saar troupes. A Saar ranger must choose Gnolls as their 1st Favored Enemy.

Religion: In general, Saar are not very “religious”, although most revere the “Great Father”, whom the Hierarchy of the Church of Light rule is an aspect of Osirian, so the Saar are accepted into the Church of Light. Saar druids and rangers often revere the Great Earth Mother. Saar may also revere an aspect of one of the Archangels or a greater angel. They shun the followers of the Cult of Shadow and will generally leave an area that the Cult is active in.

Language: Saar speak their own language and most know Tradespeak as well. The Saar do not have a written language, instead relying on a rich tradition of oral storytelling. Literacy is not widespread among the Saar, as they have little use for it. Saar often pick up numerous other spoken languages in their travels.

Adventurers: Saar adventure for a myriad of reasons. Their troupe could have been wiped out by a Gnoll attack, they may have tired of the nomadic life typical of Saar or they might just be strange! With their high charisma, Saar are often the spokesperson for their adventuring band. Saar do tend to get bored with inactivity, so they are constantly pushing to “get back out there”, although they sometimes have trouble staying focused in a specific goal and can get side tracked easily.

Last edited:

~Joseph~

First Post
the Saar

:confused::eek: WOW!! that's weird I've never seen that race before but the simalerites are uncanny. On the point of wis vs. int, the reason I chose wisdum is because tigrans still have hightened scences, +2 to listen spot and search, but they are just unattentive, intelligence is your ability to reason and learn, wisdum is comon sence and perceptiveness, they can see things they just tend to be to buissy with their new toy to pay any attention. but I will take that in to consideration
:)

graydoom

First Post
The reason you see similarities is probably that you two both have the same basic idea of what a cat race should be.
Cool races, everyone... I'm tempted to use one for my next character :D.

Breakstone

First Post
If I were to construct a new campaign world with none of the core classes (except for human), I'd just change the Elves to a cat race.

Just my two cents.

Darklone

Elves = cat race

Hey right... Never thought about that one.

But then ... the cat race and dog race I used for quite some time were kinda different ... ka'taa were small like halflings. But heck, they WERE nimble.

I did it kinda this ...

Small sized humanoids, -2 str, +4 dex, -2 int
low light vision, spot+2, listen+2... natural armour +1, scent allowed... -2 penalty on weapons cause of their clawhands. +2 move silently, +4 climb. No medium or higher armour proficiency at the beginning, no matter which class...
Natural weapons: 1d4 normal damage, improved unarmed strike and flurry of blows as virtual feat if light armoured.
Ranged weapons: hard to use. Crossbows sometimes. but those too at -2 to hit.
Favored class: rogue.

Sorry for the bad writing. Ka'taa were usually merchants or thieves in my campaigns. Usually both :)

What do you think about them ? Sorry for highjacking the thread though :)

Remove ads