An Open Letter to Dragon and Dungeon Readers

jokamachi

Explorer
Keith,

I have a question regarding Living Greyhawk. Will the absence of Polyhedron in Dungeon allow for more frequent installments of Greyhawk material such as the LGJ?

Thanks,

jokamachi

Last edited:

storyguide3

First Post
Samothdm said:
Anyway, since Dragon is now just player material and Dungeon is just for DMs, but about articles like "Campaign Components" (such as Knights, Swashbucklers, Spies) that had content for both players and DMs? How will these articles be handled in the future? They are one of my favorites and I always read them when they're in the magazine.

From what Keith said a few pages ago, the Player/DM split is not absolute. To quote from his earlier post
Dragon will still have material that will be useful to DMs, but Dungeon will become even more focused on providing DMs the tools (advice, crunchy bits, and, of course, the adventures) they need to provide an awesome experience for everyone involved in their game.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I've not bought Dungeon in awhile, but the inclusion of Wil Save will get me to buy it regularly.

Now, I hated the character of Wesley Crusher as much as anyone, but judging by his Blog, his interviews and the reports of people I know who know him, Wil Wheaton is a super-cool guy.

No, he's better than Super-Cool, he's super-cool and he is one of us.

Check out HIS BLOGand see if you don't agree with me.

Good job Paizo

Henry

Autoexreginated
C. Baize said:
...I simply lament the days that a company would look past the profits at the end of TODAY, and instead look at how to increase those profits TOMORROW by supporting a dynamic and exciting new product...
Ah well.
Polyhedron will be missed.

Actually, they profit-hunted back then, too - but given the turn-around demanded in business cycles now versus 20 years ago, businesses don't have time to invest in growing a product. Heck, look at the turnaround time for Network Television in the 2000's - if it's not a hit within 4 shows, it gets pulled! :)

I do wait with interest to see the changes. One thing that has hallmarked my Dungeon and Dragon mag purchases of late was picking them up, leafing through them, and putting them back down. The amount of interesting topic in them was choked off by YET MORE prestige classes, YET MORE feats, YET MORE adventures where the plot was almost transparent in a desire to appeal as generically as possible. For instance, after the third or fourth "Cauldron" adventure path module, that series became like so many other small-press and 1990's series modules with forced paths and simplified endings that I found very little of use to me. Great start, but it couldn't hold my interest further in.

More feats, classes, and weapons are not useful to me. Articles like "Campaign Components" with the Swashbucklers, and Chivalric organizations, etc. were useful to me. SO I'll still be evaluating case by case - I'm just hoping I'll see more than I've been seeing this month.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Poly was useles..thank god for it's depature. Been asking for that since day 1 since it merged. Make it web content for crying out loud! Put it in the magazine where people who subscribe can go there.

low medium high? Now that is something useful. I can use that. I can do stuff with that. One mag to take my players from level 1-15. Now if they could tie them all together somehow! Heck that would be spectacular!

Graf

Explorer
I just wanted to chime in indicating my support.
(A meaningless gesture I suppose but given that the page count is 11 I'm not so worried about the noise ratio).

The poly mini-games were, at times, shockingly brilliant. Both the most recent ones that I recall (trapped in a video game and Hi-jinks) were never going to see the light of day with my group; but they were very stimulating from a system perspective.

I'm also cautious about the changes to dragon. More crunch sounds like a wretched thing. But I have to admit that as a DM I find myself refering more and recent dragons. The last 5 issues see more combined use than the prior 10 and a lot of articles that seemed banal when I first looked at them (cassed were-creatures and the scrying magic items) have turned out to be extremely useful in my last game.

So you still have my subscription. Good luck.

Welverin

First Post
I hate the loss of Poly, the rest of it I'll have to see first.

Erik Mona said:
Since people have to convert the proper nouns in a "generic" adventure anyway, we might as well make those proper nouns usable to a large number of our readers.

It also helps everyone who's converting them, it'll be easier to convert a consistent set of names than a new set for every adventure.

Graf

Explorer
I just wanted to chime in indicating my support.
(A meaningless gesture I suppose but given that the page count is 11 I'm not so worried about the noise ratio).

The poly mini-games were, at times, shockingly brilliant. Both the most recent ones that I recall (trapped in a video game and Hi-jinks) were never going to see the light of day with my group; but they were very stimulating from a system perspective.

I'm also cautious about the changes to dragon. More crunch sounds like a wretched thing. But I have to admit that as a DM I find myself refering more and recent dragons. The last 5 issues see more combined use than the prior 10 and a lot of articles that seemed banal when I first looked at them (cassed were-creatures and the scrying magic items) have turned out to be extremely useful in my last game.

So you still have my subscription. Good luck.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Paizo people:

Dragon: Thanks
Dungeon: Thanks even more

Another touch of feedback: Please get 'your-subscription-expires-on-issue X' on the mailing label

Thank you, thank you, thank you and great job.

Jay Hafner
Denver, CO USA

Remove ads