And The ENnie Goes To... (merged)

DaveStebbins

First Post
My friend Tonya and I were VERY impressed with the job that was done by everyone. I'll add that Rel was doing the video and Michael Morris did an excellent job with the presentation slides shown on the huge screen above the stage, so that every nominated product was shown to the whole room as it was announced.

Great job everyone!

-Dave

romp

First Post
Psion said:
There were some funny moments to relate, too. Like Erik Mona's war with PDF publishers, and some rabble rousing woman yelling out "take that Ryan Dancey" when one of Black Industries' awards was announced.

But I am sure you will hear more about that later. Must run now.

That was me hooting and holllering from the side as WHFRPG won its umpteenth award, I did not go quite as far as shouting "take that ..." but was veryyyyyy tempted to do so (evil grin)

there ceremony was very well done, the guys at Fiery Dragon were effuvescent in their praise about it when I congratulated them on Sunday.

BTW, I have a pic of the Gelflings in their costumes on Saturday that I will upload to Flickr... hehe :)

physicscarp

Explorer
kingpaul said:
Oh well. I was hoping Pandahead would win something.

Me too, as I was there representing them. Truthfully, they were up against some stellar products, so I can't be too unhappy about the awards that were given. Everyone that won really did put out great products. I even got a chance to talk to Teflon Billy (Hi Jeff!) after the awards though about XCrawl, as he and I are both big fans of the game.

As many have said already, the awards were very well done. I'll admit to expecting to be sitting in the standard seminar room at the conventionc enter, but the venue turned out to be really slick. Professional, but fun. Kevin did an excellent job presenting, and all of the publishers seemed geniuenly happy to be there. The winners always mixed the right amount of humor with heartfelt gratitude in their speeches. I even ran into some of the Green Ronin folks on the street later, and they were still emotional about the entire night. I think they were all very touched by the amount of support from the community.

I'm happy that I bid on the Pandahead dreamdate auction, and I'd gladly do so again next year for the chance to participate in the event. Good job everyone!

Last edited:

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Eosin the Red said:
Anybody know where we can find a list of past winners

Why yes. I typed it up for the FAQ we used at the booth. Here you go:

Best Aid or Accessory
Gold Roleplaying Tips GM Encyclopedia (Roleplayingtips.com)
Silver Counter Collection Gold (Fiery Dragon Productions)

Best Art (Interior)

Gold Nocturnals: A Midnight Companion (Green Ronin Publishing)
Silver Bestiary of Krynn (Sovereign Press)

Best Cartography
Gold Thieves' Quarter (Green Ronin Publishing/The Game Mechanics)
Silver Redhurst: Academy of Magic (Human Head Studios)

Best Graphic Design & Layout

Best Art (Cover)
Gold Grimm (Fantasy Flight Games)
Silver Arcana Unearthed (Malhavoc Press)

Best Official Website
Gold Hero Games
Silver Green Ronin Publishing

Best Publisher (Overall)
Gold Green Ronin Publishing
Silver White Wolf

Best d20 Game
Gold Arcana Unearthed (Malhavoc Press)
Silver Grimm (Fantasy Flight Games)

Best Adventure
Gold Lost City of Barakus (Troll Lord Games/Necromancer Games)
Silver Black Sails Over Freeport (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Campaign Setting
Gold Dawnforge (Fantasy Flight Games)

Best Setting Supplement
Gold Crooks! (Green Ronin Publishing)
Silver Thieves' Quarter (Green Ronin Publishing/The Game Mechanics

Best Rules Supplement
Gold Crime and Punishment (Atlas Games)
Silver Torn Asunder (Bastion Press)

Best Monster Supplement
Gold Crooks! (Green Ronin Publishing)
Silver Bestiary of Krynn (Sovereign Press)

Best Revision/Update/Compilation
Gold Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc Press)
Silver Book of Fiends (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Non-d20 Game
Gold Cthulhu Dark Ages (Chaosium)
Silver HARP (High Adventure Role Playing) (Iron Crown Enterprises)

Best Non-d20 Supplement
Gold Fantasy Hero (Hero Games)
Silver 50 Fathoms (Pinnacle Entertainment Group)

Best Non-d20 Setting or Setting Sourcebook
Gold The Turakian Age (Hero Games)
Silver To Go (Unknown Armies) (Atlas Games)

Best Non-d20 Adventure
Gold Champions Battlegrounds (Hero Games)
Silver Shades of Black (Champions) (Hero Games)

Best Licensed Product
Silver Babylon 5 RPG (Mongoose Publishing)

Best Electronic Product (not free)
Gold Sidewinder: Recoiled (Dog House Rules)
Silver Roleplaying Tips GM encyclopedia (Roleplayingtips.com)

Best Free Product or Web Enhancement
Gold Initiative cards (The Game Mechanics)
Silver Ezine Archives (Roleplayingtips.com)

Best Fan Site
Gold Roleplayingtips.com
Silver SWRPGnetwork

Best d20 Game
Gold Mutants & Masterminds (Green Ronin Publishing)
Silver Sláine RPG (Mongoose Publishing)

Best Non-Open Gaming Product
Gold Unknown Armies 2nd Edition (Atlas Games)
Silver Spaceship Zero (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Publisher (Overall)
Gold Malhavoc Press
Silver Green Ronin Publishing

Best Art (Cover)
Gold Monsternomicon (Privateer Press)
Silver Midnight (Fantasy Flight Games)

Best Art (Interior)
Silver Freedom City (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Cartography
Gold Lock and Load (Privateer Press)
Silver Necropolis (Necromancer Games)

Best Graphic Design & Layout

Best Campaign Setting

Gold Midnight (Fantasy Flight Games)

Best Setting Supplement
Gold Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe (Expeditious Retreat Press)
Silver Book of the Righteous (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Rules Supplement
Gold Dynasties & Demagogues (Atlas Games)
Silver Toolbox (Alderac Entertainment Group)

Best Monster Supplement
Silver Tome of Horrors (Necromancer Games)

Best Adventure
Gold The Banewarrens (Malhavoc Press)
Silver The Vault of Larin Karr (Necromancer Games)

Best Aid or Accessory
Gold GM Mastery: NPC Essentials (RPG Objects)
Silver Kingdoms of Kalamar DM Shield (Kenzer & Co.)

Best Electronic Product
Gold Magical Medieval City Guide (Expeditious Retreat Press)
Silver Mindscapes (Malhavoc Press)

Gold Magical Medieval City Guide (Expeditious Retreat Press)
Silver Initiative Cards (The Game Mechanics)

Best Official Website
Gold Malhavoc Press

Silver Wizards of the Coast

Best Resource Fan Site
Gold SWRPG Network
Silver 3rdEdition.org

Best Campaign Fan Site
Gold Conan d20
Silver World of Inzeladun

ENnies Peer Award
Mutants & Masterminds (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best D20 Game

Winner: Call of Cthulhu (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Adventure

Winner: If Thoughts Could Kill (Malhavoc Press)

Best Campaign Setting

Winner: Oriental Adventures (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Setting Supplement

Winner: Freeport: City of Adventure (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Rules Supplement

Winner: Manual of the Planes (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Aid or Accessory

Winner: Dungeon/Polyhedron Magazine (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Cartography

Winner: Freeport: City of Adventure (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Art (Interior)

Winner: Deities & Demigods (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Art (Cover)

Winner: Lord of the Iron Fortress (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Graphic Design and Layout

Winner: Call of Cthulhu (Wizards of the Coast)

Best Monster Supplement

Winner: Creature Collection II: Dark Menagerie [Scarred Lands] (Sword & Sorcery Studios)

Winner: Portable Hole Full of Beer (Ambient)

Best Official Website

Winner: Wizards of the Coast

Best Fan Resource Site

Winner: SWRPGNetwork

Best Fan Campaign Site

Winner: Conan d20

Best Publisher

Winner: Wizards of the Coast

Special Award for Contribution to Open Gaming: Ryan Dancey

Best Adventure

Winner: Death in Freeport (Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Rulebook or Accessory

Winner: The Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc Press)

Best Setting

Winner: Iron Kingdoms (Privateer Press)

Best Writer
Winner: The Book of Eldritch Might (Monte Cook -Malhavoc Press)

Best Art (Interior)

Winner: The Longest Night (Matt Wilson & Brian Snoddy -Privateer Press)

Best Art (Cover)
Winner: The Longest Night (Matt Wilson -Privateer Press)

Best Cartography
Winner: Madness in Freeport (Todd Gamble -Green Ronin Publishing)

Best Editor
Winner: The Book of Eldritch Might (Sue Weinlein Cook -- Malhavoc Press)

Best Free Product
Winner: The Wizard 's Amulet (Necromancer Games)

Best Official Website

Winner: Malhavoc Press -- www.montecook.com

Best Fan Website
Winner: Jamis Buck's RPG Generators (James Buck) -- (Lost Site)

Best Publisher

Winner: Privateer Press

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Best Gen Con EVAR

Dextra here. For some unknown reason, I can't convince my sweet baboo's confuser to log him out and let me in, so I'm just going to have to post under his account lest I forget some of the things I want to say. I'll be posting pics when we get home and a more comprehensive report later, but I just had to pipe in.

First and foremost, the ENnies rawked Indy. When I'm raving about how awesome it was, it's not totally a self-aggrandizing exercise: we drew from a fabulous talent pool that is the ENWorld community, and we shone as a result. Through a lot of hard work and planning, we built upon past years' achievements and orchestrated an experience of which we can all be proud.

Mad props belong to the Gen Con Indy folx first and foremost for providing us with such great support. We had a great booth, wedged between GAMA and the Great LukeSki, and far enough from those chair-thieving Klingons and their jail to be able to maintain our sanity (and hearing). The GAMA booth peeps were wondering how we were able to get power, to which I smugly replied "We ordered it, and Peter delivered." Heh. The booth was gorgeous. A former boss loaned me one of those nice backdrop booth things. I was at first leery when I discovered it was grey and green, but it actually worked quite nicely. Special thanks to Gabriel and Cindy for their help in its assembly! They also busted out the l337 sk1llz when it came to putting together our two glass cases for the display and containment of the nominated (then winning) products. A new banner under lights and a couple of ENP banners on the table completed the new and improved image for the Awards.

Then the venue. OMG was it ever lovely! Not to say that the Crowne Plaza wasn't beautiful either, but they really went above and beyond when it came to this location. It was within easier walking distance, classy as all getout (more pics and descriptions later), and very well run. The ceremony started a full fifteen minutes late, largely due to the delay of shooing out exhibitors from the hall (they'd had the exhibitor dinner just before, and it took awhile to get everyone settled), and finding one of the Gelflings (who had discovered she could get to the upstairs part... I think she mentioned something about following Justin Achilli). Anyhoo, the ceremony went smoothly and quickly, awards were handed out, and I'm pretty sure I saw a tear in Monte Cook's eye after the youngest Gelfling gave him a hug after handing him a medal. For those not in the know, this is how things went:
PirateCat would describe the category then read out the nominees. All the meantime, some beautifully done powerpoint was going on overhead. From my viewpoint (at the back of the stage, passing the medals to the girls), it was actually quite comical, because most everyone was busily staring up at the screen above the proscenium arch. The silver award was announced, the winner came up to the stage, the youngest Gelfling put a medal around their neck, and the eldest Gelfling handed over a certificate. A brief speech was made, the gold announced, lather rinse repeat.

I heard a few comments about the disappointment of some of the utterance of the F-word by one of the winners, but honestly, I was more personally offended by seeing nominated designers showing up in just t-shirt and jeans- to me it felt as though the ceremony wasn't worth dressing up for, and was more disrespectful than a chance utterance.

But I digress.

The Gen Con Indy peeps were fabulous, being responsive to our needs, and honestly asking how we were doing- including the mogul himself. This served very well to reinforce how much of a cherished part of the Gen Con experience the Awards are, and gives me great hopes for the future!

The publishers certainly didn't fail us either. They showed up en masse for the ceremony and were good sports about helping with the fundraising, and weren't stingy on the positive feedback, either. On Friday afternoon, I took my newfound friend Don from pulpgamer.com around the dealer room and got a few guys to do a little trash talking about the competition. I can't wait to hear it! At the end of the 'Con, we were given a bunch of extra product to dole out for swag. Special credit goes to Kate Flack from Black Industries/Sabertooth Games for handing over two full boxes of Lord of the Rings minis boosters for swag/auctioning as well as complete starter boxes. It certainly made the day of those who stuck around to help with teardown! A few of the publishers managed to drop by the booth for photo ops under the banner, and for that I owe them a debt of gratitude as well, because I know how difficult it is to get away from one's booth!

Hand of Evil was a fabulous soul and shipped up a box of corrected flyers that arrived on time and were very useful at the booth (thank you thank you thank you!!!).
We had some brilliant booth volunteers who did a great job, and were a credit to all ENWorlders.
It was absolutely brilliant to see so many ENWorlders come up, and I cherish every moment I got to spend with my new old friends.

Several times throughout the convention, people would grab a copy of the flyer (which had a web page address on it as well as a booth number of the publisher) and say that they now had their shopping list. Saturday morning was brilliant as people came by to check out the results.

Every morning I would arrive shortly after 8:30 to set up the booth, and every evening (except Saturday, cuz I was at the costume contest with the Gelflings) I tore down. And every night (save this one) was a party at the Canadiana Suite. Friday was my personal favourite, because JediSoth (sp?) was kind enough to pick up some champagne for me and drop it off at the Suites... so I had the pleasure of being able to invite some friends up after the awards for "Champagne and Chocolates". The bubbly flowed, the nanaimo bars served. I had some great chats with people whom I respect and love dearly. I'm not usually into alcohol, but it was a brilliant evening, and a pleasant end to the ENnies stress.

Anyhow, it's almost midnight on the first night that I haven't had a party in my suite, and I can't believe I'm still up! I have tonnes more to say- about how awesome so many people were, and do a whole wack of name dropping, how much fun my entire family had, but I'm going to go to bed now and let Hound have his laptop back so he can post away.

I'm really happy- it's a bit bittersweet feeling, because I'm sad about missing friends already, but I can't get over the feeling of a job well done, and of contentment with the universe.

G'night.

FickleGM

Explorer
HellHound said:
<snip>
Special thanks to Gabriel and Cindy for their help in its assembly! They also busted out the l337 sk1llz when it came to putting together our two glass cases for the display and containment of the nominated (then winning) products.
<snip>

You are most welcome. If only I can get Cindy to create an account on here (I appreciate Dextra's thanks, but I can only accept a small portion of them - my wife is the one with the l337 sk1llz - I was just manual labor... :D ).

Remove ads