And The ENnie Goes To... (merged)

Psion

Adventurer
Krug said:
Details! Details!

Okay. Dextra did a pretty good rundown of the flow of the show.

The PDF thing: Erik Mona, while accepting an award, said something to the tune of "Thanks to our subscribers, without whom we'd be broke and trying to sell .pdfs." The PDF sellers/fans in the audience start good humored booing and hissing, and as Erik leaves the stage, Hellhound blurts out: "You're dead at recess, Mona!" It was hilarious. There were references to it for the rest of the night, including a statement later by Erik to the effect of "Really, PDFs are great, and I am not just saying that because I am backpedalling."

The "take that Ryan Dancey" thing (I could not help but think of Queen D and how Nicole's name should be Queen Ryanpopolis... BID and apologies to Queen D), I forget if it was after the award was announced or was being accepted, but a female sounding voice rings out from the Green Ronin table "take that Ryan Dancey!."

The day after I posted my prior post, I passed by the Green Ronin booth and Nicole saw me and yells "Rabble rouser!??". And I'm like "hey, you aren't supposed to check the boards until after the con!" :D

Truth Seeker and Xath were shutterbugs durring the event and I can't wait for them to post the pics.

On a slightly more serious note, I was really pleased that both Blue Rose (Stephanie Pui-Mun Law) and Beyond Countless Doorways (rk post) were recognized, as they are two of my favorite artists.

I got a chance to speak with Ms. Law in the exhibition hall where I congratulated her there, as I purchased a little Faeries d20 book which she sketched a little Faerie in the front of on the spot (which was a total fanboy moment for me).

Alan, ditto on the Stephanie Law fanboyism. I've loved her stuff since I first spotted her work in some old Talislanta book, and I got a groovy evil faerie in my copy of the book (I /so/ did not realize it was a game book; I'm honestly a little miffed about that, because I was expecting something more along the line of Brian Froud's book on fairies, but I haven't actually read the whole book yet, so I'll withhold judgment).

I got an ENnies Yearbook. At the WotC booth I won one of the special edition leather-bound PHBs, and I got folks to sign it. I believe Xath wrote "Have a great summer!", and Bridgett Harrington (photographer who was at the White Wolf booth) signed my crack. *grin*

Claudio, let me tell you that Gabriela was a dream.

/me swoons.

Anyway, back to the ENnies, I felt a bit like a fifth wheel, but that's most on account of how well things were going. I was expecting to have to run about and deal with complications, but the worst I had to deal with was a group of drunken exhibitors who were reluctant to leave after the previous event. Oh, and when I swung by the White Wolf table to ask if they needed anything (expecting, perhaps, for them to ask questions about the ceremony), I was asked for whiskey. I got a bit flustered and almost went and ordered one for them, before Denise told me to stop being a waiter and to go find her husband.

"Take that Ryan Dancey!" and the following snorting of scotch out of Teflon Billy's nose was a highlight of the evening.

The only complaint I heard -- from Matt Milberger, who designed the covers of the new World of Darkness book, and who sat next to me on the flight back to Atlanta last night -- was that we should have had some ambient music to play as people were heading to and from the stage. The silence was the only real issue I had, though I do have a list of small ways to tighten things up for next year. Most of it would involve a rehearsal to catch little things like power point snafus.

It was fun, and the 'afterparty' at the RAM, though it consisted only of 6 people, was the start of a . . . well, let's just say the rest of the con got progressively more wonderful. I might post details, but most of it is personal as opposed to EN World related.

Denise, finally, I need to thank you for sending me off early yesterday.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
RangerWickett said:
It was fun, and the 'afterparty' at the RAM, though it consisted only of 6 people, was the start of a . . . well, let's just say the rest of the con got progressively more wonderful. I might post details, but most of it is personal as opposed to EN World related.

Holy cow. I think this is an insinuation that Ryan got biz-zee. :p

To be serious for a sec, Ryan, thank you again for your help. As the "go-to" guy for problems you helped keep me sane, and the very fact that you were there helping meant that I *didn't* have to worry about those things. It's appreciated.

The only complaint I heard ... was that we should have had some ambient music to play as people were heading to and from the stage. The silence was the only real issue I had, though I do have a list of small ways to tighten things up for next year. Most of it would involve a rehearsal to catch little things like power point snafus.

Interesting point on the music. I'm not sure we need it if it slows anything down, but if it doesn't then that would be okay. One challenge is that the same snippet of music played 25 times would have peoples' ears bleeding. We'll have to ponder that. We'd also like to make sure that there's easy handicapped access to the stage for anyone who wants it.

The powerpoint glitch might be a bad example, as a hardware-related error (sticky mouse) caused the slide jump; Dextra, Michael and I actually had a rehearsal before the event that was tremendously helpful.

Anyways, good ideas.

Klaus

First Post
TerraDave -> I'm utterly proud of how those two turned out, and I'm really glad the voters thought the same. :)

RangerWickett -> Funny thing is, I didn't even know she was going! :)

Psion

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Alan, ditto on the Stephanie Law fanboyism. I've loved her stuff since I first spotted her work in some old Talislanta book, and I got a groovy evil faerie in my copy of the book (I /so/ did not realize it was a game book; I'm honestly a little miffed about that, because I was expecting something more along the line of Brian Froud's book on fairies, but I haven't actually read the whole book yet, so I'll withhold judgment).

For all practical purposes, it isn't a game book. It's got one creature on two pages.

But yeah, I saw your copy of the book in the suite. I didn't really give it a second thought until I saw her sitting in the booth.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
we kind of got split up after the ennies. since i wasn't sure who was going to the RAM (if anyone), but i did know who was going to Hellhound's little circle of evil, i decided to get Canadiaized. :)

Dextra

Social Justice Wizard
BOZ said:
we kind of got split up after the ennies. since i wasn't sure who was going to the RAM (if anyone), but i did know who was going to Hellhound's little circle of evil, i decided to get Canadiaized. :)

And let's face it, our party was where the Kool Kids were at! I'm not going to name names, cuz it'll sounds like total name-dropping, but the Canadiana Suite was a nice place to be that night!

Crothian

First Post
Dextra said:
And let's face it, our party was where the Kool Kids were at! I'm not going to name names, cuz it'll sounds like total name-dropping, but the Canadiana Suite was a nice place to be that night!

The one night I go out gaming to......

Psion

Adventurer
Dextra said:

So would I be a bad person if I already dropped one of those names in another messageboard. ;)

It was a very cool little party to be at. Not too noisy, great company, classy food & drink.

Remove ads