And then there were 8! On Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke Wilkes' Layoffs...

I've seen quite a few people speculating that Chris Sims and Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes may not have been made redundant, but possibly fired for various reasons, or because contracts ended (given that Jennifer has been at WoTC for about 15 years, that latter guess was always going to be very unlikely!). For that reason, I feel it's a good idea to set things straight and find out exactly what happened; I'm sure neither want rumours like that to start! The short version: yep, they were lay-offs.

Chris Sims kindly shared with me that "Jennifer Clarke Wilkes and I were laid off on Wednesday the 28th. Our positions were eliminated, reducing the D&D team to eight people working directly on the tabletop game."

Hopefully that will put some speculation to rest! Here's the original article, for context.

Who makes up the 8 still working on the RPG? Mike Mearls, Rodney Thompson, Jeremy Crawford, Greg Bilsland, Chris Perkins, Peter Lee, Matt Sernett, Adam Lee.

The 8 does not include art or brand staff, including community manager Trevor Kidd, brand/marketing managers, Organized Play program managers and the like, which brings the number up to about 13.

As an interesting point of comparison, Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens kindly shared that "We don't have any part time employees. The 25 full-time were folks that worked directly on Pathfinder products in design, development, editing and art. Currently, we are pushing 60 employees in the company and growing. In the next few months, we will be hiring more editors and developers to support Pathfinder. 2014 was our best year ever in both sales and profits. Still going up!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Gecko85

Explorer
That's an interesting perspective, considering the eight now are comparable to those 12-4 employees back in the day. Am I wrong in understanding that Blume was responsible for the ballooning of the staff, and Gygax led the way in paring down to keep costs in line with revenue?
Yeah, pretty much. Blume also expanded into a bunch of crap including (I kid you not), a needlepoint business. Way too much expansion, way too fast. Gygax came back, regained his title for a bit, then was ousted again (permanently) in a stock option coup led by the Blumes and the woman who Gygax had brought onboard to help get the finances in order (Williams). The Blume's sold all their stock to Williams, making her the largest shareholder. Gygax was then ousted and wound up selling all his shares to Williams as well, then leaving for good.

interstingly, the biggest point of contention between Gygax and the Blume's was over expansion. Gygax favored slower, steady, planned expansion, while the Blume's were more of the "throw a bunch of stuff against the wall and see what sticks" types.

Last edited by a moderator:

mflayermonk

First Post
I've been reading "Designer's & Dragons - 1970's" today (which actually covers quite a bit of the 80's). Loving it because I remember that entire period well. Anyway, I'm at the part where Kevin Blume exiled Gary Gygax, took control of the company (TSR) then proceeded to run it into the ground, turning a multi-million dollar a year company into a pile of debt and bad investments.

An interesting thing to note is that from late 1982 to 1984, TSR downsized from over 370 employees to only 100. During 1983, the Design Department went from 12 people down to 4...So, this is nothing new.

This is a good article but might have some redundancy."Ambush at Sheridan Springs: How Gary Gygax Lost Control of Dungeons & Dragons" by Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World.

https://medium.com/@increment/the-ambush-at-sheridan-springs-3a29d07f6836

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
WotC shows its commitment to women gamers by removing the only woman on the team. I'm glad they're not sexist in their firings.
This sentiment irritates me. The position was eliminated. A woman held that position. The two are not necessarily and with all probability are NOT related.

I'm firmly of the belief that if a position is not longer needed and is eliminated then the person in that position should also gone, be they man, woman, black, Hispanic, straight, gay, what have you, unless there is another position already in existence that is open which they would be qualified to fill if they were willing. I say this as the straight white guy who was let go so that the downsizing company wouldn't have to deal with the backlash of letting a minority go.

Granted this was in my teenage years 30 years ago, but I'm still a bit bitter about it.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I don't like it that only men are working on the RPG.

That does not concern me as much as the brain drain that WotC habitually engages in. With every firing they lobotomize themselves, in this case losing 15 years experience with Wilkes alone.

They seem to be doing a good job not repeating past mistakes in terms of game design. I'd hate to see that end for want of someone who's been around long enough that can point out when when a seemingly new idea has already been tried and failed.

Mercurius

Legend
WotC shows its commitment to women gamers by removing the only woman on the team. I'm glad they're not sexist in their firings.

This would only be true--that is, WotC being sexists in their firings--if the fact that Wilkes is a woman had anything to do with their decision, which as far as I can tell there's no reason to think is true, so we probably shouldn't start such nasty, groundless rumors!

DongMaster

First Post
I don't like it that only men are working on the RPG.

I do!

I mean, now the nerds can finally concentrate on writing good D&D material instead of getting all nervous when the "hot girl" walks into the office, and ruins their lunch play with rubber swords and plastic doll princesses..

Evenglare

Adventurer
Basically our speculation was correct. Sucks. I can only draw from this that 5e didn't do nearly as well as we thought. I'd love to hear evidence to the contrary though.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I'd rather have setting and more classes and class powers than adventures from them, considering that there are already a whole bunch of adventures coming out for it from non-official 3rd party companies.

If all they are going to do is their own version of adventure paths than I'm going to get rid of 5e from my collection and switch to Pathfinder. It's quite obvious which company actually believes in their own product and which company doesn't.

I hope the two let go find new jobs somewhere and soon and do great wherever they end up.

dracomilan

Explorer
The comparison should be 13 vs 25 (the development in Pathfinder should include brand management roles, no?).
Since Paizo also produces card games et al., maybe we should now start comparing the 60 Paizo staffers to the whole WotC staff (on linkedin it shows 661 staffers, but usually some are ex staffers who didn't update the profile, freelancers etc.).
And regarding the presence of female staffers, I guess Shelly Mazzanoble is still onboard....

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases