D&D General (Anecdotal) conversations with Asian gamers on some problems they currently face in the D&D world of RPG gaming

The issue is more like ...

Tomorrow, this restaurant with all of its Non-Mexican foods, starts calling itself a "Mexican restaurant" pretending to serve Mexican food.

Even the ingredients of the recipes that resemble actual Mexico, are seriously wrong.

In the mean time, it takes all the leftover food that should be thrown out, and instead mixes it all together, tries to sell it, and calls it "Tacos".

But this happens all the time with food (leftover food bit aside---I think that part of the analogy doesn't really work)---and it is totally fine. I said elsewhere, I've been to countless Italian restaurants that serve foods I ate at home, using the same name and they are visibly nothing like the homestyle dishes (and the stuff I ate at home, was very different from the stuff I had in italy when I went there). Foods evolve and change across culture. Is a taco bell taco an authentic taco? Absolutely not. I love tacos, and grew up in an area where we had real mexican food all the time. But taco bell tacos are a type of taco now, and occasionally I crave them. I wouldn't want taco bell to go away because it isn't a perfect representation of mexican or even tex mex cuisine. Same with American pizza. We've done all kinds of things to pizza in the US since it was first introduced here, and in a lot of ways, I like American style pizza more than authentic italian. It is okay for people to borrow ideas, even just the kernel of an idea, or a name, if it leads them somewhere interesting. It doesn't hurt anyone when you put ground meat with "mexican flavoring" into a pre-bought taco shell and throw shredded monetary jack cheese, tomatoes and lettuce on it and call it a taco. To me the position you are taking on cultural exchange seems rather extreme, particularly if you are applying it to food.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm reminded of a kerfuffle in Portland OR a few years back, with a taco food truck run by two white women accused of "stealing" and cultural appropriation. They ended up having to close.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
That isn't what I am saying. I am saying that the request to take it down from sale, is a request that others not be allowed to buy it, and in my opinion, crosses the line from criticism, to censorship. He has every right to ask them to take it down, but people who disagree with that kind of request have a right to label it censorious. These kinds of pressure tactics do have an impact. So while a given person on twitter doesn't have authority to take books down, they can use the medium to put pressure on WOTC to take down content (which is exactly what is happening here).
to WotC: for far too long you've ignored the contributions of Scott Bakula to television programming. every time someone buys a product on your online store there should be a written tribute praising his lifetime of work at the checkout page for all customers to see. u better litsen to my demadns!

oh no! D: I've crossed a line, now everyone who buys ANY D&D book on drivethruRPG is forced to read about Scott Bakula, whether or not they didn't like Enterprise. don't you know that show sucks??

/s

to WotC: for far too long you've ignored the contributions of Scott Bakula to television programming. every time someone buys a product on your online store there should be a written tribute praising his lifetime of work at the checkout page for all customers to see. u better litsen to my demadns!

oh no! D: I've crossed a line, now everyone who buys ANY D&D book on drivethruRPG is forced to read about Scott Bakula, whether or not they didn't like Enterprise. don't you know that show sucks??

/s
If what was being requested was a written tribute this might make sense. But what is being requested is the book stop being sold by WOTC

(leftover food bit aside---I think that part of the analogy doesn't really work)

Taking garbage − Evil, stupid, ridiculous − and identifying it with a reallife identity is harmful.

The analogy doesnt mention:

To take a sacred concept of a reallife identity, and misrepresent it as something that it is not, is inflammatory.

Taking garbage − Evil, stupid, ridiculous − and identifying it with a reallife identity is harmful.

The analogy doesnt mention:

To take a sacred concept of a reallife identity, and misrepresent it as something that it is not, is inflammatory.

But people shouldn’t be beholden to the religious taboos of faiths they don’t believe in. There is plenty of misrepresentations of Jesus and the cross in Chinese media for example. I just find it interesting when I see that, it doesn’t inflame me. And I don’t think if it did inflame me they have any particular reason to heed my anger

Remove ads