D&D General (Anecdotal) conversations with Asian gamers on some problems they currently face in the D&D world of RPG gaming

Now there's an idea for a multi-video Youtube series! 'Druids Read... AD&D Moonshae'

I mean, Moonshae is pretty offensively stupid, not so much to Druids as y'know, anyone who is actually from Ireland, Scotland or a variety of other places. It's part of this weird American-centered (but not limited to there) Celt-o-mania that had been going for decades but made a comeback in the 1980s. I think it's fair to say it was pretty freakin' lame.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Factually - Asians are raised to grin and bear things.

No, that's not a fact. It's a stereotype. As someone who's lived for several years in an Asian country, it sure seemed to me like it was an individual parent thing rather than a hivemind culture thing to "grin and bear it". There were just as many Asians who complained about things as there were Americans, or Europeans when I lived in Germany. People are people. Ascribing a stereotype convenient to your argument is bad. Stop doing it. And while I can't speak for others, if I were one of these Asian posters in these threads who didn't agree with you, and you dismissed my feelings based on you telling me how my culture actually is, I'd probably feel insulted.

Edit In fact, I'd go further and say it's a harmful stereotype on similar grounds to the "Asians are good at math" stereotype. I.e., it sets up an unfair expectation. An unfair bar raised higher than anyone else has to reach. "Your culture is to just grin and bear it" means "you shouldn't complain about things and if you do you failed somehow, when others are allowed to complain and it's socially acceptable for them."

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
No, that's not a fact. It's a stereotype. As someone who's lived for several years in an Asian country, it sure seemed to me like it was an individual parent thing rather than a hivemind culture thing to "grin and bear it". There were just as many Asians who complained about things as there were Americans, or Europeans when I lived in Germany. People are people. Ascribing a stereotype convenient to your argument is bad. Stop doing it. And while I can't speak for others, if I were one of these Asian posters in these threads who didn't agree with you, and you dismissed my feelings based on you telling me how my culture actually is, I'd probably feel insulted.

I know we don't often agree, but thank you.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Stop accusing me of dismissing the opinions of all Asians not finding the material offensive by stating they were just grinning and bearing it.
That is a false and offensive conclusion.
Stop that.

I've said my piece. No need to continue this back and forth.

Undrave

Legend
Do we really need to defend Oriental Adventures? I mean, aside from the fact none of us really control WotC's decision.

Those who really enjoyed it back in the bad already have it... what, exactly, would be lost by not selling it anymore? Does every literary works needs to be available all the time for purchase? Beyond preserving the existing physical copies, is there a need to 'protect' OA by allowing to be still be sold? What is the value being defended here when someone opposes taking it down?

Regardless if you think the complaint is genuine or simply a move to grab attention (the former, and call me naive if you want, I am more inclined to believe).

Immeril

Explorer
Do we really need to defend Oriental Adventures? I mean, aside from the fact none of us really control WotC's decision.

Those who really enjoyed it back in the bad already have it... what, exactly, would be lost by not selling it anymore? Does every literary works needs to be available all the time for purchase? Beyond preserving the existing physical copies, is there a need to 'protect' OA by allowing to be still be sold? What is the value being defended here when someone opposes taking it down?

Regardless if you think the complaint is genuine or simply a move to grab attention (the former, and call me naive if you want, I am more inclined to believe).
I refer to post #42 (the answer to life, the universe and everything) by Snarf Zagyg. Who has the authority (and on what grounds) to decide which books/movies/series/... are allowed to remain and which should be removed/banned. Even if the books we keep are just as questionable as the books that we remove.

Remove ads