• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Angels and Angles, Part One: Cupid & Psycho

The Shaman

First Post
Ricky is waiting at his desk when Trask returns. He looks like he’s dressed for dinner at Chasen’s.

“The vic was found downtown. Metro Division’s just a few blocks from here. We’ll take a look at their case records,” Ricky says, putting on his overcoat and hat. “Her body was released by the coroner to the family, but we can get a look at the report.” He picks up his briefcase. “Ready to go?”

The drive from the U.S. courthouse and federal building to the police headquarters across from the monolithic L.A. City Hall is brief but jarring. Ricky bites his toungue at Trask's horseplay behind the wheel, silently wondering under what lonely rock the Bureau had found this clown.

On arriving at the police station, Ricky approaches the desk sergeant and shows his badge and identification. “Good morning, Sergeant. I’m Special Agent Garces, this is…” Ricky hesitates briefly – is Trask an agent? Must be. “…Special Agent Trask. The Bureau has been asked to look into a homicide here in Los Angeles…” – Ricky pulls out his notebook, flips open the cover – “…of Michelle Dowling, age 27. I was told the investigation was handled by Metro Robbery-Homicide. We would like to see the report and if possible speak with the detective who caught the case.” (Diplomacy 20 – 22 if +2 synergy for Knowledge (behavioral sciences))

Last edited:

Committed Hero

Adventurer
"No problem, sirs, that's a public record anyway."

After taking you to the file room, the duty officer gives you a sly look.

"What's the Bureau's interest in the case?"

[After responding, you can make a Spot check while you peruse the file.]

Candide

First Post
Trask seems to be sporting a cane and a bowler hat(or is it boller? anyway).

"Ready, when you are chap." Trask says, adding "What's the briefcase for? You look like a barrister. They might think we'll press charges." Trask laughs to himself. "

As they walk down the hall to the car, Trask mentions in a more serious tone "the game is afoot".

As the two get into the agency car, and get situated, Trasks pulls out of the garage. Artemis turns to Ricky and asks "You fellows drive your motorcars on the left side right?" Then Artemis hits the gas.

(OOC: I didn't want to go fast enough or do any tricks that would involve making drive checks. Just so you know. Just wanted to jar Ricky a little, a bit of humor and all)

Trask drives a slight bit faster than what Ricky would feel comfortable with. However, the drive is smooth, and short.

The Shaman

First Post
"What's the Bureau's interest in the case?"

Ricky smiles and leans forward conspiratorially. “I was hoping maybe you could tell us, Sarge, ’cause right now your guess is as good as mine.” He shrugs. “We just go where they send us. You know how it is dealing with the brass,” he says, rolling his eyes. Sense Motive 17 and Bluff 21 – 23 if +2 synergy bonus…

Ricky sets the report down on the table where both he and Trask can read it. He opens his notebook to a fresh page and begins taking notes. Spot 28 (natural 20! plus 1 AP)

Among the things Ricky will want to know is the location, time of day, nature of the victim’s injuries, the victim's physical description and clothing, what she was doing when she was killed (if known), weapons and other clues found at the scene, names of witnesses interviewed including patrolmen at the scene, names of the investigating detectives, and the victim’s home and work addresses, if available.

Last edited:

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Michelle Dowling dod February 4th, late pm (cf Coroner's rpt Kafesjian Mark). Cause of death asphyxiation. Body found in a rubbish bin 2/7 behind a line of stores on Vermont Avenue by an employee of a clothing store. ID confirmed with fingerprints. Last known address 1418 Tularosa Drive. Most recently employed as a waitress, Hideaway Lounge on Pico. Initial investigation by Tpr. Daniel Rypien. Last seen at 347 Woodruff Ave, Westwood 2/4 approx 7:00 pm.

Dowling's car was found 2/8 at Olive & W. 3rd street and taken to the impound lot. No signs of violence in car. Keys missing.

Rypien's interview with the clerk is perfunctory. Clearly no indication she was involved.

The most interesting thing is the lack of any detective assigned to this case, although it is certainly open.

Neither of your characters seem like the type who would be starstruck in LA, but if I am mistaken they can make a K:pop Culture roll.

After about ten minutes, Ricky notices an officer discretely checking in on the two of you.

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Ricky studies the report closely. On his notepad he writes, “TIMELINE: Last seen 2/4 1900 347 Woodruff Westwood.” By whom? Ricky wonders. “TOD 2/4 (Weds.) late p.m. asphyxiation ---> murder weapon? bare hands?” Hopefully the coroner can tell us something about this. “Found 2/7 (Sat.) Vermont Ave. in rubbish bin – WITNESS: clothing store employee – no obvious connection to deceased, location, &c.” Two days ago. “2/8 (Sun.) Dowling car located at Olive and 3rd – no sign of struggle, keys missing ---> how far to dumpster? intersection ---> business? residential?” Ricky shoots a glance at Trask. We’ll need to check the car at the impound lot – Carroll Shelby here should enjoy that. “Body ID: fingerprints ---> previous arrest?” If she was in trouble before, known associates are worth a look. “LKA 1418 Tularosa Dr. ---> waitress at Hideaway Lounge on Pico.” Talk to her landlady and her co-workers. Ricky looks at the report again - other than the clothing store employee who discovered the body, there is no list of interviewees. From where did the investigating officer get this information?

Ricky jots down the case number and the reporting officer, “Daniel Rypien,” a patrolman – no mention of a detective. Ricky rereads the report top to bottom, in case he missed it – no luck. Strange.

There’s something else, hovering around the edges of his memory. Ricky racks his brain for the connection. Knowledge (pop culture): 15

As he glances over the report, insuring that his notes are complete, out of the corner of his eye Ricky sees a blue-clad shape trying to remain out of sight near the doorway to the file room. Ricky stands up and stretches and walks nonchalantly around the table, then looks directly at the officer and says, “Excuse me, could you tell me where I could get a good cup of strong coffee around here?” Sense Motive: 8 (natural 1…)

Candide

First Post
"How can she die via asphyxiation, with no signs of violence?" Trask asks Ricky.

Trask sees Garces racking his brain on the starlett connection (Pop Culture roll =23)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads