Angels ascendant

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Hmmm, it's too bad that they just didn't replace "Archon" with "Angel".

In some religions, archons are evil, and I always thought it was a bad match.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Well, Asuras being evil in the Ramayana didn't stop the 2e ones from being exemplars of Chaotic Goodness....

It's not hard to explain the similarity (stupid mortals!), or make it interesting (perhaps the demons and devils just WANT you to think they're evil....)....so no biggies.

talinthas

First Post
see, i'm not sure i like that. Deva is the sanskrit word for god/demigod, not really angel...

and don't even get me started on asuras (literally means demon)...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd only concern myself with it if the campaign setting used them as a major mythos element, in which case I'd change it.

Like if I were to run a more Ramayana-style campaign, you bet everythign Asura would be a wicked, wicked creature bent on messin' with the Heroes and their honor...:)

talinthas

First Post
true dat.

i run a dragonlance game, so this would never come up anyway =)

I don't trust myself to run a hinduism game, without flooding the PCs with my life's worth of info =)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Interesting. So is "angel" being used the same way "celestial" was? In that, any Good-aligned Outsider from the Upper Planes is one?

Olive

Explorer
Alzrius said:
Interesting. So is "angel" being used the same way "celestial" was? In that, any Good-aligned Outsider from the Upper Planes is one?

I don't think so. If you look at the scan from gaming report, it shows that the deva is listed as an angel, but at least one other celestial is listed as an eladrin. so i suspect that it will be devas=angels, and the others stay the same...

EDIT: looking at it again, there are seperate entries on the contents page for eladrin, angel, archon and guardinal but not for deva. The contents page only goes up to Inevitable so i can't see if planatars and solars are called angels as well. There's also a listing for celestial creature, which is almost certainly the template.

In addition, all the specific examples of these types are lsited as well e.g. Bralani (eladrin) 93.

HEre's the link the the scan: http://www.gamingreport.com/modules...le=index&req=ShowFile&file_wrap=html/dd24.htm

Last edited:

Merlion

First Post
On the Wizards board, I asked Andy Collins about this. If I understand him correctly, he said theres no longer going to be a "Celestial" heading in the MM. Its going to be by alignment grouping..so Archons, Gaurdinals, Eladrins, and Angels...angels being plantetars solars Devas etc.

Remove ads