D&D 5E Angels/Celestials of Different Races

Yaarel

He Mage
Re angels and fiends, I consider them manifestations of the cultural patterns of human alignments. Angels and fiends lack freewill and mirror human behaviors. If an angel becomes Evil, or a fiend becomes Good, it is because some human community associating with it is behaving especially Evil or Good. The astral domains of Celestial and Fiend can be, and are, influenced by humans.

Yaarel

He Mage
For me,

• Lawful=Group
• Chaotic=Individual

So it is easy for me to imagine what the angels are about. The Lawful Good are about a just society and the Chaotic Good are about benevolent freedom and self-actualization. Neutral Good is pure Good, doing whatever it takes, whether via group or individual, to optimize for the maximum Good possible in any particular situation.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
For me,

• Lawful=Group
• Chaotic=Individual

So it is easy for me to imagine what the angels are about. The Lawful Good are about a just society and the Chaotic Good are about benevolent freedom and self-actualization. Neutral Good is pure Good, doing whatever it takes, whether via group or individual, to optimize for the maximum Good possible in any particular situation.
I don't know why or how this became a part of the thread, but Matt Colville has a great video on this. (It actually made me appreciate how he does alignment, even if I don't normally like alignment myself.)

According to Mordenkeinens, the elves are originally Celestial. The mercurial shapechanging of their parent came with instability and neglect as a parent. The parent banished them in a domestic dispute. From the Celestial Domain, they immigrated to the Fey Plane and to the Material Plane. The elves in the Fey Plane have no intention of returning, but many in the Material Plane still seek to reunite with their parent as Celestials.

Some of the Fey Elves have would prefer to become Archfey, but I don't think it's stated as a goal of all of them.

5e Elves basically stole their back story from Gnostism, Elves are literally bits of Corellon Larethian the Supreme Elven God that got trapped in the material universe thanks to Lolth (as Demiurge) and the rest of the Dark Selderine (Archons).

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Some of the Fey Elves have would prefer to become Archfey, but I don't think it's stated as a goal of all of them.

5e Elves basically stole their back story from Gnostism, Elves are literally bits of Corellon Larethian the Supreme Elven God that got trapped in the material universe thanks to Lolth (as Demiurge) and the rest of the Dark Selderine (Archons).
that makes elves so much better and could really help bulk them up in none Tolkien ways.

For me,

• Lawful=Group
• Chaotic=Individual

I see more Lawful being order and authority while Chaotic being more freedom and personal responsibility.

It occurs to me a way to explain Chaotic Good Angels in past editions is that a Lawful Good Angel of a Chaotic deity is going to treat their God's word as the highest authority/law so while they will go about it lawfully, their actions will still appear to be Chaotic because while they are lawfully obeying orders, the orders themselves are Chaotic.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I see more Lawful being order and authority while Chaotic being more freedom and personal responsibility.

It occurs to me a way to explain Chaotic Good Angels in past editions is that a Lawful Good Angel of a Chaotic deity is going to treat their God's word as the highest authority/law so while they will go about it lawfully, their actions will still appear to be Chaotic because while they are lawfully obeying orders, the orders themselves are Chaotic.
I assume cg celestials work with CG gods out of respect and admiration for what they do and is a fairly mutual relationship.

both types of law and chaotic seem fairly complimentary in what they do.

I tend to think of angels serving CG gods as being like Jeeves butlering to Bertie. Even if the Master (or Mistress) is seemingly incapable of being respectable, they (the angels) will do their best to bring them there. As long as the angels aren't too overbearing, the CG gods appreciate the efficiency (and handling of things that the gods don't want to deal with) of the angels, and occasionally, like Bertie, they put their feet down (although much like a Jeeves novel, the angels often get their way in the end).

I tend to think of angels serving CG gods as being like Jeeves butlering to Bertie. Even if the Master (or Mistress) is seemingly incapable of being respectable, they (the angels) will do their best to bring them there. As long as the angels aren't too overbearing, the CG gods appreciate the efficiency (and handling of things that the gods don't want to deal with) of the angels, and occasionally, like Bertie, they put their feet down (although much like a Jeeves novel, the angels often get their way in the end).

I don't know who these characters are.

Easy to avoid, just don't do an Angel of Hate.
You could use Muses as an overarching term for chaotics (like fiends for evil), with the idea that muses are trying to inspire mortals to think or act "big." Demons (evil muses) inspire people to evil acts (and thus a demon fills the role of "angel of hate"), CN muses inspire to act "big" regardless of whether the consequences are good or evil (romantic love would be a good fit, since it could lead to creepy stalker stuff or true love), and good muses (celestial eladrin?) could inspire people to impressive acts of goodness (like giving away your fortune to charity or joining a dangerous quest to save a kingdom).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases