• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Animal Companion Advice

svwilson

First Post
What's a good animal companion for a ranger-7 cleric-1 FistOfRaziel-6 who's a front-line combantant? What tricks would I teach him?

nittanytbone

First Post
Unless you are willing to invest in a bunch of Natural Bond feats (Complete Adventurer) or Beastmaster levels, I'd second the above advice. Your companion will be far too weak to stand on the front line with you, so it needs some other role.

I'd suggest either a mount if you do a lot of traveling or outdoor adventures or perhaps a scout/spy (such as the owl).

If you are set on trying to make it a meleer, a Riding Dog is the toughest thing you can get. Teach it to "aid another" and help your attacks or your defense; perhaps you can also get it to flank.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I concur that you need to look for defense or your Companion will effectively become a throwaway piece of fodder at your power level when it comes to combat

AC-wise, the Riding Dog or Dire Bat are very strong.

Dire Animals have good Will saves.

Drowbane

First Post
1a) Convince your DM that Ranger's Companion should be Druid -3...

1b)... or that Ranger's should be at level and Druid's should be Ranger -3! (Compare both classes without looking at Animal Companion at all... Druid is way better!)

2) Invest in Natural Bond feat (don't think you can take more than once)

3) Grab 1 or more (1 about do ya) level(s) of Beastmaster.

Then, and only then, can you realistically consider using the Ranger's Companion in combat...

And then look for something with either Decent AC and one really good attack (Dire Wolf?) or something with alot of attacks (any big cat... mmm... Tigers...)

FalcWP

Explorer
svwilson said:
What's a good animal companion for a ranger-7 cleric-1 FistOfRaziel-6 who's a front-line combantant? What tricks would I teach him?

Get a riding dog, and teach it to play dead. Think of it as practice.

Whimsical

Explorer
Ranger animal companion is a good way to buff up your horse so that it can survive higher level combat when you are on the road. Everyone elses horse will die with the first fireball, but yours has a decent chance of surviving.

Whatever you get, put some barding on it. Barding prices are in the Player's Handbook.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads