• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Animal Companion

Athelstaine

Explorer
I have recently bought a copy of the Humblewood Campaign. The premise is that the characters races are anthropomorphic animals. The typical PHB classes are allowed. My question is how to figure appropriate companions for characters that are already animals. Just seems weird to have a Vulpin (wolf) ranger with a wolf companion. I may be overthinking this. So what would be to animals as animals would be to humans. Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I have recently bought a copy of the Humblewood Campaign. The premise is that the characters races are anthropomorphic animals. The typical PHB classes are allowed. My question is how to figure appropriate companions for characters that are already animals. Just seems weird to have a Vulpin (wolf) ranger with a wolf companion. I may be overthinking this. So what would be to animals as animals would be to humans. Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you.
Hmm...maybe insects? Other, dumber animals? We're animals too so what animals are to us is basically what animals are to animals. Animals follow our lead because we provide food and shelter. Maybe an animal that can eat the scraps of a wolf like a vulture or a hyena?

Hmm...maybe insects? Other, dumber animals? We're animals too so what animals are to us is basically what animals are to animals. Animals follow our lead because we provide food and shelter. Maybe an animal that can eat the scraps of a wolf like a vulture or a hyena?

Had an awakened cat wizard once who had a flea as a familiar.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
  • Bugs? (eg, butterfly, centipede, firefy, spider)
  • Little reptiles or amphibians? (eg, gecko, tree frog, skink, grass snake,)
  • Tiny fey, possibly look like humblefolk or other animals? (eg, sprite, tiny hover-bear, winged elk)
  • Animated plants or plant creatures? (eg, toadstool, "twigling", tuft of dandelion fuzz)
  • Nature spirits in unique forms? (eg, a crystal, a raindrop or snowflake, a "star")

Weiley31

Legend
If you think that's weird,Pugmire has Dog Characters that can have pet dogs and Cat characters can have pet cats.

Athelstaine

Explorer
Well, DND 5E seems to make ALOT of animal summons as Fey Spirits taking on the form of animals. So ya, you can have them be fey spirits of the Forests.
I did not really think of a fey aspect, that is a good idea. I was in tunnel vision mode, looking at MM for small and tiny critters to fill in. I will have to ponder that. I was also thinking of using the monster creation rules from the DMG to see if I could wing it (pun intended).

Athelstaine

Explorer
  • Bugs? (eg, butterfly, centipede, firefy, spider)
  • Little reptiles or amphibians? (eg, gecko, tree frog, skink, grass snake,)
  • Tiny fey, possibly look like humblefolk or other animals? (eg, sprite, tiny hover-bear, winged elk)
  • Animated plants or plant creatures? (eg, toadstool, "twigling", tuft of dandelion fuzz)
  • Nature spirits in unique forms? (eg, a crystal, a raindrop or snowflake, a "star")
That is some of the thematics I am looking for. Just not well represented in the monster manual. Is there a 3PP supplement that has mundane animal stats by chance?

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
That is some of the thematics I am looking for. Just not well represented in the monster manual. Is there a 3PP supplement that has mundane animal stats by chance?
Unfortunately, I'm not (* ahem *) familiar with any publications that focus on little beasty stats. But it looks like there are a few supplements on DMs Guild:
But personally, I'd probably just start buy reskinning existing ones by swapping out movement modes, attacks, and traits. Given how familiars & companions operate in 5e, I doubt you'd accidentally unbalance anything mechanically.

Remove ads