• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Animal Companion

jgsugden

Legend
Just do "fey spirits" as the familiars. Give them generic animal stats, but fluff descriptions that matches a pixie or brownie. Easy peasy.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
images.jpg

Joking aside, it would depend on the lore of the setting. Does Humblewood have unintelligent animals, and if so are they of the same species as the intelligent animals? What (or who) do PC wolves eat?

One approach is that the Vulpin character recognizes the similarities between itself and the wolf, but ultimately sees the relationship like we would look at a gorilla or chimpanzee. I walk on two legs, wear clothes, use sophisticated tools, etc. It walks on all fours, likes to smell butts, eats poop, kisses anyone whose face gets too close...

Another is to frankenstein the animals.

Step 1: come up with a nonsense name for the new animal.
Step 2: pick one or two traits to change about the animal, (color, limbs, horns, etc) or substitute an entirely different animal in the same "function" (the chocobo solution)

Example: Is that a cow? No, that is a Vack. It's like a cow, only purple and with 6 legs.
Is that a horse? No, that's a Slank. It like a giant rat with really long legs.

FXR

Explorer
We once played Mouse Guard witht the D&D 5e rules. We had rabbits as mounts, cricket as dogs, so I guess it's quite possible.

Athelstaine

Explorer
Thank you for the replies. I am just going to reskin a few things and go from there. No sense in trying to be realistic when you have crow necromancers and hedgehog paladins and so forth running around.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hmm...maybe insects? Other, dumber animals? We're animals too so what animals are to us is basically what animals are to animals. Animals follow our lead because we provide food and shelter. Maybe an animal that can eat the scraps of a wolf like a vulture or a hyena?
This, but I’d actually say rather than making it dumber, just accept that it’s a sentient follower or a Fey spirit that takes the form of a primal version of one of the forest races.

For Fey, use the Spirit of The [earth/air] from that UA article, probably.

If it’s sentient, give it a decent Int score, and a personality Trait or two, ideal, and a flaw. Otherwise keep it simple.

The Fey version could also be sentient, obv.

Remove ads