Another Immortals Handbook thread

What do you wish from the Immortals Handbook?

• I want to see rules for playing Immortals

Votes: 63 73.3%
  • I want to see more Epic Monsters

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • I want to see Artifacts and epic Magic Items

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I want to see truly Epic Spells and Immortal Magic

Votes: 50 58.1%
  • I want Immortal Adventures and Campaigns Ideas

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • I want to see a Pantheon (or two) detailed

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I want to see something else (post below)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I don't like Epic/Immortal gaming

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Poll closed .

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Anabstercorian said:
Under Akishira, in the High Epic adventure idea, there is reference to something called an astral hydra, which is not mentioned anywhere elsewhere in the document.

There are several places where monsters are or were referenced without entries. Heck, the Akishra itself didn't appear in the version I originally edited. As for the astral hydra, I'd just 'advance' an 8-headed hydra to the specified number of HD and add astral movement abilities (flight and manifestation) -- I don't know that it's ntended as a different sort of creature.

Anabstercorian said:
How does Seventh Sense work in play, precisely - does the time dragon only replay IT'S action, or everyone's?

Everyone's actions, I believe. I think this and other time-travel mechanics are covered in Apotheosis and the Grimoire.

Anabstercorian said:
What if more than one person attacks a character with Shining armor?

I'd have all creatures who attacked such a character act in their normal initiative order, together at the bottom.

Anabstercorian said:
If two Void Dragons attack each other, and Abrogate each other's Abrogation, do I burst in to tears? (Wait, I see this is mentioned as an adventure idea. Well done.)

Covered, as you mention.

Anabstercorian said:
The Orichalcum Sentinel probably doesn't need an attack rating, given that it wields an unerring weapon.

I think it should have an attack rating because DMs might substitute its standard weapon for a special one, or its weapon might be sundered/stolen/etc.

historian

First Post
U_K, I greatly enjoyed "thumbing" through the preview volume. Bravo! :D

This is truly outstanding work that exceeded even the lofty expectations that I had for it. Wonderful example of symmetry, bridging more technical concepts (virtual size categories) with more mystical (dimensions).

Hopefully, this release will give you the momentum to follow up quickly on subsequent editions.

While I am at it, I have two questions. First, the Kuvachim seem similar (but more interesting) in conception to the IGs, but come off feeling decidedly more powerful. Can you comment on this? Second, it appears that an increase in virtual size categories confers a one-half bonus in HD (ex., a density that would justify a +10 increase in virtual size category would only provide a +5 size category increase in HD). Am I judging this accurately?

Thanks again.

By the way I have just emailed everyone* the update. If you haven't received it (in a zip file) yet then email me.

*everyone who has so far bought the document that is. :p

Plecak said:

Hey there Plecak! :)

I apologise for taking so long to reply to you here, I just needed to focus to solve the formatting issue.

Plecak said:
I have been following the Immortal Handbook threads for three years now, although I have never actively participated in the discusssion.

Well, better late than never...although I suppose I am one to talk, that phrase could be my motto. :eek:

Plecak said:
It is good to see that you have finished the very first part of the book Upper_Krust :)

It is indeed. Slight hiccup at the end there as well, but thats to be expected with my luck.

Plecak said:
However, judging from the latest Immortal Handbook thread I think that you would need a good manager :) (well, Anabstercorian fits nicely for that position :p ).

That'll teach me to ship the pdf before checking over it. :eek:

Plecak said:
By the way, would it be possible to pay for the book by check (it would be very easy for me, since I am in UK at the moment)?

Sure, email me and I will give you the details of how to pay by cheque instead. Of course I'll have to wait for the cheque to clear before I send you the document.

Anabstercorian

First Post
CRGreathouse said:
There are several places where monsters are or were referenced without entries. Heck, the Akishra itself didn't appear in the version I originally edited. As for the astral hydra, I'd just 'advance' an 8-headed hydra to the specified number of HD and add astral movement abilities (flight and manifestation) -- I don't know that it's ntended as a different sort of creature.

Well, that's a decent stopgap, but it's not really a solution. An 'astral hydra' should either be statted out or briefly described. Alternatively, one could simply replace it with 'cogent'.

CRGreathouse said:
Everyone's actions, I believe. I think this and other time-travel mechanics are covered in Apotheosis and the Grimoire.

Coolness. I look forward to it.

CRGreathouse said:
I'd have all creatures who attacked such a character act in their normal initiative order, together at the bottom.

I agree, and feel this should be clarified somewhere in the IH collection. Possibly it already has been, in which case, ignore my complain.

CRGreathouse said:
I think it should have an attack rating because DMs might substitute its standard weapon for a special one, or its weapon might be sundered/stolen/etc.

Good point.

Verequus

First Post
On page 7, Base Damage Modifiers by Skill:

A creatures skill, or lack thereof, also governs its base damage. Those creatures not accustomed to combat with a given appendage should be treated as if one size category smaller for the purposes of attacking with that appendage. A feat could be used to eliminate this penalty.

I've been thinking about such a feat and like to hear some comments about it:

Battle Training

Unlike other members of your race, which are not accustomed to combat with at least one given appendage, you have experience in the use of those appendages.

Prerequisite: At least one attack form, which base damage has been reduced due to the lack of skill.

Benefit: All attack forms, which base damage is reduced, have their base damage increased by one step.

Special: Improved Natural Attack can be only taken for those weakened appendages, if this feat has been taken first.

Hey Fieari mate! :)

Apologies for the slow reply.

Fieari said:
With regards to the kosmos thingy... not bad.

Thanks. Theres a lot of general occult, book of Enoch, and a hint of real world science in there.

Fieari said:
Very interesting take on dimensions, which I personally like to think of as significantly more physical.

Would extra dimensions necessarily be physical though. ;)

I think theres more potential in exploring avenues other than the purely physical.

Fieari said:
I can understand the rational though. I think I may have mentioned before the dimensional progression I use in my games....

1-3 Prime
4 Time (Possibilities)
5 Impossibilities (all different rule systems, different laws of physics, etc... you call this the multiverse, I think)
6 Metaverse
7 Omniverse
8+ (????)

Well your 5-7 look like my higher dimensions, of a fashion at least.

Fieari said:
My thought was to work with a geometric progression so that even if I couldn't define exactly what the higher dimensions are, I could have rules for dealing with creatures in one interacting with creatures in another.

Well much of the higher dimensional stuff was inspired by the Book of Enoch, with a hint of comic book cosmology thrown in.

Fieari said:
Those with Time Freedom, for example (not limited to traveling in one direction in time, can just as easily stay still, go backwards, etc. Not "porting" to another point in time then resuming forewards progress, but actually having complete time freedom at every moment) are those who are in the 4th dimension, but are directly interacting with the first three (which is entirely unfair, but I've got rules for it). But each level of advantage you can get in this manner can be topped by simply going one higher in an infinite progression, even if I can't actually understand how vastly vaster than the previous stage this new level of vastness is. Infinitely more vast, in fact.

Maybe you could comprehend it by making the other dimensions smaller when juxtaposed.

eg. How a 3D being would view a 2D being.

Fieari said:
You've stuck a bunch of dimensions inbetween what I've listed as 4 and 5 though, and I'm not sure those work with my geometric progression thingy. Perhaps they could work out... it gives more layers in which maybe you can understand exactly what's going on... interesting.

Indeed. :)

When I go into more depth I can tie in how gods are tied to dimensions and the implications that has on the universe, but thats for another time.

Fieari said:
I find the purpose of your Nuetronium Golems interesting though. Defending the borders between dimensions...

Actually only the borders between higher and lower dimensions.

Fieari said:
you have this marked down (with your plot hook ideas) as fighting against, say, an invasion of psuedo-natural creatures...

See below.

Fieari said:
but looked at in another way, it might be said that they're defending against people doing exactly what I described above. Directly interacting with a lower dimension from a higher one, which is insanely powerful and more or less bypasses a lot of the normal rules in favor of the one on the dimension higher. If those area effects were to "leak" into higher/lower dimensions (as physics suggests black holes might anyway, which is why time travel via black hole is such an oft visited topic in scifi and other speculation) they would make pretty good enforcers against people doing just that.

It might be made to work, I wouldn't necessarily make it arbitrary though.

Fieari said:
Incredibly nasty enforcers. INCREDIBLY NASTY enforcers. OH MY GOD THAT'S UNBELIEVABLY WACKED OUT NOTHING CAN SURVIVE OR STAND A CHANCE AAAAAAAARRRRGHHHHHHH enforcers.

Glad you liked them, they get slapped by Black Hole Golems though. :p

Fieari said:
Something for me to ponder. I don't think I'll be using them in my game though. I want there to be more inter-dimension interaction...

The Neutronium Golems would only invade a universe on the brink of becoming dominated (51%) by one lower dimension. So if the Far Realm was dominating all the other dimensions they might step in to prevent the demiurge becoming a nutcase, because otherwise he might become a threat to other universes.

But Neutronium Golems wouldn't generally interfere with interdimensional or interuniversal matters.

Heya matey! :)

Anabstercorian said:

Well I would prefer to wash my dirty laundry in private mate, but since we're here now. :D

Anabstercorian said:
Under Akishira, in the High Epic adventure idea, there is reference to something called an astral hydra, which is not mentioned anywhere elsewhere in the document.

Yes. The sub-name for the Akishra is Astral Worm. Therefore an 8-headed version would be an Astral Hydra.

Anabstercorian said:
How does Seventh Sense work in play, precisely - does the time dragon only replay IT'S action, or everyone's?

It replays all actions, although the DM will control those beings without 7th Sense, since it knows what they are going to do/attempt to do that round.

Anabstercorian said:
What if more than one person attacks a character with Shining armor?

Simultaneous.

Anabstercorian said:
If two Void Dragons attack each other, and Abrogate each other's Abrogation, do I burst in to tears? (Wait, I see this is mentioned as an adventure idea. Well done.)

:)

Anabstercorian said:
The Orichalcum Sentinel probably doesn't need an attack rating, given that it wields an unerring weapon.

What if you wanted to change the sample weapon. ;)

Hey historian matey! :)

historian said:
U_K, I greatly enjoyed "thumbing" through the preview volume. Bravo! :D

I still say you need the art to really visualise a monster, but I am glad you like it. :)

historian said:
This is truly outstanding work that exceeded even the lofty expectations that I had for it. Wonderful example of symmetry, bridging more technical concepts (virtual size categories) with more mystical (dimensions).

I appreciate the love dude. :eek:

historian said:
Hopefully, this release will give you the momentum to follow up quickly on subsequent editions.

Indeed. :uhoh:

historian said:
While I am at it, I have two questions. First, the Kuvachim seem similar (but more interesting) in conception to the IGs, but come off feeling decidedly more powerful. Can you comment on this?

I could if I knew what IGs were. However, I anticipate you might mean Infinity Gauntlets? If so Kuvachims are a dimension. Mazzaroth are the guardians. Whose power is similar to the Robes of the Almighty on page 21. ;)

historian said:
Second, it appears that an increase in virtual size categories confers a one-half bonus in HD (ex., a density that would justify a +10 increase in virtual size category would only provide a +5 size category increase in HD). Am I judging this accurately?

More or less, although I didn't want to open that can of worms too much. ;-)

historian said:
Thanks again.

My pleasure.

Anabstercorian

First Post
Neutronium Golem

My socially inept MIT friends and I stayed up for 24 hours and delved in to the pits of madness as we found ourselves alternatively fascinated and disgusted by the spectacle that is the Immortal Bestiary Volume 1. We got on to the topic of the Neutronium Golem, and Gravity, and 'why you don't understand gravity'.

I quote: "All I'm saying is that your super-massive neutronium golem isn't really all that massive. I've seen bigger. It's only about a quadrillionth the mass of the sun. What a little bitch! I've seen small children take on neutronium golems bigger than yours!"

Anyway, once I stopped paying attention to his demoralizing rambling, we noted how the golem worked with gravity, and it's gravitational field.

Basically, as I'm sure yo'ure well aware, the gravitational field of the golem can be accurately approximated by the equation F = G*M/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the golem (4.5 x 10 ^ 15 Kilograms), and r is the distance from the golem in meters, the gravitational intensity can be plotted as such:
10000g's: ~5.5m from golem
1000g's: ~17.5m from golem
100g's: ~55m from golem
10g's: ~173.2m from golem
1g: ~548m from golem
0.1g: ~1732.5m from golem

The practical upshot of all this is that the 140 mile radius for the gravitational crush is, while an understandable abstraction, not so good.

S'mon

Legend
Hi Craig - been looking through my copy, very nice! :) I like your treatment of my mercury golem (esp the reference to guarding relics of long-dead empires ;)) , although making it vulnerable to acid makes it a bit easier than IMC :) Looking forward to seeing the Krangar (I noticed you included Summon Krangar spell) and Prismatic Puddings (Chaos Pudding) in the next iteration. :)

Remove ads