Another Look at the D&D Essentials Kit

Here's a closer look at the upcoming D&D Essentials Kit.

519DX_EssentialsKit_ProductImgFullv1.png

D&D Essentials Kit (September 3rd; June 24th in the US)
Boxed Set

Everything you need to create characters and play the new adventures in this introduction to the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Dungeons & Dragons is a cooperative storytelling game that harnesses your imagination and invites you to explore a fantastic world of adventure, where heroes battle monsters, find treasures, and overcome quests. The D&D Essentials Kitis a new introductory product meant to bring D&D to audiences interested in jumping into a fantasy story.

This box contains the essentials you need to run a D&D game with one Dungeon Master and one to five adventurers. A newly designed rulebook on-boards players by teaching them how to make characters, and the included adventure, Dragon of Icespire Peak, introduces a new 1-on-1 rules variant.

SerHogan

Explorer
Is this going to replace the Starter Kit? Seems a bit confusing from a marketing standpoint. Maybe this is something new players can buy so they don't feel left out.

Curious about Dragons of Icespire Peak. Always welcome a new intro adventure. Phandelver was great fun.

I believe the intent is to replace the Starter Kit, without rendering it completely unsellable.

The main focus appears to be improving the clarity of the basic rules for the benefit of complete newcomers.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe the intent is to replace the Starter Kit, without rendering it completely unsellable.

The main focus appears to be improving the clarity of the basic rules for the benefit of complete newcomers.

Yeah, it seems to be a replacement, but Perkins also said he wrote the adventure to basically expand on Phandalin as a sandbox. So, somebody with the Starter Set can use this to extend the game.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I love starter boxes, and I'm especially eager for this one. While I never had an issue with the "empty space" in the Phandelver box (more space to carry more stuff!), it looks like this Essentials box will be plenty full! (including dice that aren't in the above pic).

Yeah, it seems to be a replacement, but Perkins also said he wrote the adventure to basically expand on Phandalin as a sandbox. So, somebody with the Starter Set can use this to extend the game.

It's worth noting that you can buy Lost Mine of Phandelver on D&D Beyond, so it's not going away completly. I expect Icespire Peak will also be available on D&D Beyond (although the Stranger Things adventure aint).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's worth noting that you can buy Lost Mine of Phandelver on D&D Beyond, so it's not going away completly. I expect Icespire Peak will also be available on D&D Beyond (although the Stranger Things adventure aint).

They announced that the Stranger Things adventure will be released on D&DB later this year.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Curious about Dragons of Icespire Peak. Always welcome a new intro adventure. Phandelver was great fun.

it probably doesn't help that Lost Mine of Phandelver has run its course after 5 years. almost every D&D night/intro to D&D DM will use it, and it also doesn't help most popular actual play groups have used it as well.

"oh man I watched my favorite streamer play D&D and now I want to play it too!" guess what adventure I'm probably gonna not use to help this friend learn D&D :U

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases