ANOTHER monster book??

Vrylakos

First Post
A-ha!

It's the Climb speed coupled with the Climb skill. Is that it? Have I solved your riddle, oh King of Monsters? :)

Thanks for the lesson! There are so many little things in the MM's first few pages, it's easy to miss some things.

Vrylakos

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Vrylakos said:
A-ha!

It's the Climb speed coupled with the Climb skill. Is that it? Have I solved your riddle, oh King of Monsters? :)

Thanks for the lesson! There are so many little things in the MM's first few pages, it's easy to miss some things.

Vrylakos

:D Very good.

One/two more things in the above quote I did and you will graduate. :)

Last edited:

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Dragongirl said:
hehe Sorry, thought of the world imply and could not resist.

Yeppers- that was part of it. There are two more things.

EDIT: Well...you edited your post after I replied I see. Anyway- yeah, the Climbing thing was part of it.

There is still two other things I noticed.

Last edited:

Dragongirl

First Post
Grazzt said:
EDIT: Well...you edited your post after I replied I see. Anyway- yeah, the Climbing thing was part of it.

Sorry, started to reply, got sidetracked by a naughty kitty, posted then saw you did answer him so edited my post. :D

Let's see...

"Small Vermin".... sounds right.
"Hit Dice: 1d8+2+3 (9 hp)"....d8 is right for vermin, +2 for having 14 Con, +3 for toughness feat, so sounds right.
"Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft." Seems that the climb speed should be lower than the normal speed, maybe a 30 ft/ climb 20 ft would be better.
"Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 14, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 1" .......Other than a Cha of 1, which I would make 2 to match other vermin, I don't see a problem.
"Skills: Climb +7, Hide +5 (+10 when attached to a dragon), Jump +6, Move Silently +7" .......Anyone with a climb speed has an automatic +8 bonus to climb skill, as pointed out before. If there is a problem with total number of skill points, I don't know. Never gotten the hang of it.

So, are the other 2 the climb speed not being lower than normal speed, and the Charisma thing?

TBoarder

Explorer
Grazzt said:
Small Vermin (Host’s Subtype)
Hit Dice: 1d8+2+3 (9 hp)
Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft.

Abilities: Str 12, Dex 10, Con 14, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Climb +7, Hide +5 (+10 when attached to a dragon), Jump +6, Move Silently +7

Hmm... this is tough. The type and subtype are obviously okay. Hit Dice and Hit Points...

Vermin don't get feats, so no toughness feat for the 3 extra hit points?

The ability scores seem okay. Int is a non-ability for Vermin. The only thing I can see as sorta problematic, in a really picky sorta way, is that there are 4 even numbered ability scores, when the default is usually 3 odd numbered scored and 3 even numbered ones.

Skills are a nightmare to figure out for Vermin though. The advancment table in the MM says that they get 10-12 skill points. Is that total, or per extra hit die? Reverse engineering the Vermin from the MM isn't helping me at all... A hint maybe? :)

Vrylakos

First Post
TBoarder said:

The ability scores seem okay. Int is a non-ability for Vermin. The only thing I can see as sorta problematic, in a really picky sorta way, is that there are 4 even numbered ability scores, when the default is usually 3 odd numbered scored and 3 even numbered ones.

Hm, I've never heard of this before. Is this stated somewhere in the MM or the How to Make a Monster article?

Vrylakos

Voadam

Legend
Re: Re: ANOTHER monster book??

tsadkiel said:
Dracotick, shmacotick. You're all missing the important monster description:

"So, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"

LOL!:D

I had the same thought from the opening description down to the picking the lock with a bit of wire.

Remove ads