ANOTHER monster book??

Grazzt

Demon Lord
TBoarder said:

Hmm... this is tough. The type and subtype are obviously okay. Hit Dice and Hit Points...

Vermin don't get feats, so no toughness feat for the 3 extra hit points?

The ability scores seem okay. Int is a non-ability for Vermin. The only thing I can see as sorta problematic, in a really picky sorta way, is that there are 4 even numbered ability scores, when the default is usually 3 odd numbered scored and 3 even numbered ones.

Skills are a nightmare to figure out for Vermin though. The advancment table in the MM says that they get 10-12 skill points. Is that total, or per extra hit die? Reverse engineering the Vermin from the MM isn't helping me at all... A hint maybe? :)

Heh- nope that isnt it. Basically here is what's wrong:

#1- Missing Climb bonus to Climb skill. Like Dragongirl mentioned, monsters with a climb speed gain a +8 bonus to Climb checks. Check the MM, it is added in to the score and listed in the block.

#2- Overall total skill points are off. Vermin have 10-12 skill points period. Remove this guy's ability mods (to skill ranks) and the +4 size modifier from the Hide skill and it leaves this:

Skills: Climb +6, Hide +1 (+10 when attached to a dragon), Jump +5, Move Silently +7

Total= 19

#3- Skill ranks are limited to HD+3. Removing all ability and size mods leaves ranks as above. Climb is too high. Move Silently is too high. Jump is too high.

(And yes I know it appears some monsters in the MM break this, but look again. A lot of monsters have racial bonuses to skills. These are listed at the end of the Combat text.)

(#4)True- vermin don't normally get feats. But look at the MM's vermin. Several (particularly the spiders and centipedes) have Weapon Finesse (bite). I didnt really count this one since the MM does this. Now, if this guy had like 12 feats or something :)

Krail Stromquism

First Post
SPPOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN!!!!!!

I had a tick once....it exploded.

It was terrible. I was at Red Lobster with Billy Blanks, the Tae Bo guy, and the lady sitting next to me almost upchucked when it blew.

Anyhows,

Who are the Artists working on this book?
Huh? Who?

Vrylakos

First Post
Re: Because you asked so nicely ...

Michelle_Nephew said:

Skills: Dracoticks receive a +3 racial bonus to Climb, Hide, Jump, and Move Silently checks. These bonuses are figured into the dracotick’s skill totals. In addition, they also receive a +5 racial bonus to Hide checks if they are hiding on the body of a dragon-host.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The name, stats, and special abilities of the dracotick, as well as the dracotick familiars section, are open game content released under the open game license. See www.opengamingfoundation.org/ogl.html for the full text of the license. The Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary is copyright 2002 Trident, Inc. d/b/a Atlas Games; author Darren Miguez.

Hello Scott!

By the way, I'm Darren Miguez, the author of the dracotick. Thank you for the scrutiny! It really helps get the nuances of the monster rules down.

The above is located in a strange place under the dracotick's write-up, right after Poison. I'm not sure if this is a goof from my manuscript (I'm at work right now, or I'd check), or something that occured during cut & paste, or editing, or what. It is in the post, but should be after the Special Qualities but before the misc./familiar info, where I place racial skill info in other monsters.

Remove the racial skill bonuses, and you've got 11 ranks in skills.

The climb speed thing is indeed an oversight on my part. I was familiar with the Swim bonus associated with having a swim speed, but I overlooked climb. Thanks for the tip. :)

The feat was indeed a judgment call. I wanted to add a little something to give the dracotick some oomph due to its dragon-connection. Toughness, rarely used as it is, seemed a good fit, so I decided to 'break the rule' (or not depending on your basis for monster design, as I did indeed examine MM vermin and, like you, noted the spider/centipede feats)

As for the Charisma issue, well, a it's a call based on my experience with spiders and ticks and so forth. *Shrug*.The Charisma scale gets a bit grainy that low, especially when you look at other vermin. I decided to place the tick as low as possible on the CHA scale. Good idea? Bad idea? I went with my personal feeling. But then, I hate ticks. ;)

Anyway, thanks for casting your fine eye over the dracotick. Perhaps we can start a discussion over in the Creature Catalog boards.

When's the Tome of Horrors come out again, btw? I am all for more monster books!

Vrylakos/Darren

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Vrylakos/Darren- missed that part of the text. Apparently I didnt read it as close as I thought. :) My apologies.

Yeah- the totals fall in line with the racial bonuses included. My apologies to the designer/editor. Wasnt my intention to point out errors/typos or anything...just sometimes...I can't seem to help it. :) I still go back and find typos/errors in stuff on the Creature Catalog on occassion (hopefully I nailed them all doing the edits for the Tome :))

Oh and I cant wait for the book. Like the consensus around here, I agree, ya can never have too many monsters.

Voadam

Legend
Re: Re: ANOTHER monster book??

tsadkiel said:
Dracotick, shmacotick. You're all missing the important monster description:

"So, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"

"I think so brain, but how do you flip over a Flumph? That's a funny word that is! Flumph! Flumph! Narph!"

"No, Pinky. With Heward's Mystical Organ, we can boost the power of that wand of charm person sufficiently to make me Mayor of Greyhawk City. With control of the economic hub we can move on to take control of the Flanaess. All we need is a bard or rogue with enough skill to tap and direct the artefact's power."

"Flumph! Flumph! Hah, hah, ha. Narph!"

"You realize I'm going to have to hurt you now."

Remove ads