D&D 5E Another Simulacrum question

Undrhil

Explorer
The spell Simulacrum specifies that the created Simulacrum cannot learn anything or become more powerful.

Is "preparing spells" (after a long rest) considered "learning"? If I give my Simulacrum a copy of my spellbook, can it prepare whatever spells I could normally prepare from the book?

mellored

Legend
I would say no.

However, he still knows the spells you had prepared when you cast it. And I would allow it to cast rituals.

Undrhil

Explorer
Follow up question: does a Simulacrum get reactions? The spell says it acts on your turn in initiative but doesn't really say whether it gets to do anything when it isn't your turn.

The spell Simulacrum specifies that the created Simulacrum cannot learn anything or become more powerful.

Is "preparing spells" (after a long rest) considered "learning"? If I give my Simulacrum a copy of my spellbook, can it prepare whatever spells I could normally prepare from the book?

It cant recover slots at all mate. The spell is explicit in this.

Undrhil

Explorer
It cant recover slots at all mate. The spell is explicit in this.

Spell slots and spell preparation are two completely different things. Even so, I'm past that already. My Wizard simply prepares the spells he wants the Simulacrum to have before creating it and then prepares his normal spells for the next day. :)

Last edited:

Spell slots and spell preparation are two completely different things. Even so, I'm past that already. My Wizard simply prepares the spells he wants the Simulacrum to have before creating it and then prepares his normal spells for the next day. :)

And then hands the character sheet containing the simulacrums stats over to the DM to be run as a (loyal) NPC.

Undrhil

Explorer
And then hands the character sheet containing the simulacrums stats over to the DM to be run as a (loyal) NPC.

Nah, I'll hold onto it myself, thanks. There's no need to put more work on the DM who is already busy enough controlling all of the monsters and the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Nah, I'll hold onto it myself, thanks. There's no need to put more work on the DM who is already busy enough controlling all of the monsters and the rest of the world.

You have a very lenient DM.

You wouldnt have the option in my games. From how I read it, you play your character, the other players play their characters, and the DM plays everyone and everything else.

The spell creates a loyal NPC who follows your orders 'to the best of its ability', subject to its own interpretation of those orders.

YMMV.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
I'm running every other person, place and thing in the campaign - handling a high level mage's Simulacrum isn't going to be a problem. Heck, I'd wager that it will actually make my life easier, as I can use it both as a plot device and reduce the chance of player-driven shenanigans.

[sblock]I mean, the Simulacrum is, ''..friendly to you and creatures you designate. It obeys your spoken commands, moving and acting in accordance with your wishes and acting on your turn in combat.''. When DMing, I'd take that as it'll have to do what the character commands it to do, but it's still a free willed creature, one that, while friendly at first, could rapidly become disgruntled if it considers its treatment unbecoming. Might not be able to do much about it of course (I COMMAND YOU TO NEVER BETRAY ME!!) but it's a lovely setup for potential betrayal. Of course, this is assuming the creator was being unkind/cruel - a kind/benevolent creator could enjoy quality time with their newly created best buddy.

This does raise the question of the Simulacrum's personality. Is it the same as the creator? Not so good news for less pleasant/evil/cruel creators. Sure it's loyal on command and friendly when created, but does it remain this way indefinitely, regardless of circumstance? How much agency can a Simulacrum exercise when not specifically being commanded? I'd assume all of this is in the hands of the DM-Player chat before the spell is cast (heck, when the spell is even considered.)

Hmm. Anyway, if I was given total control of my character's Simulacrum, I reckon I'd play a lovely creator wizard person, best buds with his creation - tea, biscuits, dynamic adventuring duo. There'd be tears if it/when it dies. But I'd also be sure to discuss matters of agency/free will and factors that may/may not affect its relationship between creator and Simulacrum. Juuuuust to be sure. [/sblock]

Remove ads