• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Answering Questions about Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons (was: Primal Power Preview)

davethegame

Explorer
So, where can we ask questions about this, while avoiding the evil that is twitter? :)

Fire away! I'm about to head home for the night and when I come back I'll answer questions about the book.

Even though I loathe writing these types of posts, I want spoilers as well.

Who are all of the Hall of Fame Dragons?

• Andraemos, a brass dragon, who rules a desert thanks to some bandits known as the Sand Knives.
  • Bahamut, the big bad platinum himself, both as The Old Man with the Canaries and the level 36 Dragon God form, with his aspect, and Kuyutha, his exarch.
  • Jalaanvaloss, a steel dragon, who (according to her sidebar) originated in the city of Waterdeep in Forgotten Realms.
  • Niflung, a cobalt dragon, who hangs out in the frigid north with a barbaric tribe known as the Talons of Winter.
  • Silvara, a silver dragon, who is from Dragonlance (and the only one I previously recognized).
  • Valamaradace, a gold dragon, the "Dragon Queen of Silverymoon" from FR.

And in case anyone's interested, here are all the "new" metallics listed (new in quote since some of them are just new to the edition)

• Brass
  • Bronze
  • Cobalt
  • Mercury
  • Mithral
  • Orium
  • Steel

So, are there any cool alternate powers?

Is there any flavor text about useing good dragons as allies, and mentors?

How much of the book is useable if you never want the party to fight a metallic dragon?

davethegame

Explorer
So, are there any cool alternate powers?

Adding shapechanging is one easy one, but I also like the gold dragon's luck field (which is a cool callback), bronze dragons surrounding themselves with water (that gives vulnerable to lightning as well as forcing attackers to swim) and the mithral dragon's powers to go into extraplanar stasis to recover health.

Is there any flavor text about useing good dragons as allies, and mentors?

Some, it varies by dragon but strongly emphasizes that they're not always good anymore. There's a section called "Dragons in the World" that talks about metallic dragon patrons, dragons as mysterious strangers, and occasional allies. My favorite though is a section on using Bahamut's "Old Man with Canaries" as a supporting ally for the party taking on a big threat.

How much of the book is useable if you never want the party to fight a metallic dragon?

Hmm, depends if you still need the stats or not. There's 1 or 2 of the dragon lair mini-adventures that don't have you fight the dragons, and there's a few skill challenges for that too, as well as the stuff I mention above.

So how many of the "new" dragon types get full write-ups(i.e. different age categories)?

All of 'em, if I understand your question correctly.

How many different types of Draconians are in the book?

8, for Adamantine, Gold, Brass, Bronze, Iron, Copper, Cobalt, and Silver with appropriately Draconian names.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Most of the draconians death throes seem pretty easy to implement in 4e, but how does the baaz work? Do they still turn to stone and trap your weapon when they die?

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
All of 'em, if I understand your question correctly.
So there are seven new dragon types introduced in the way the three new chromatics were in Draconomicon 1? Good gravy! That is pretty awesome if that is true.

8, for Adamantine, Gold, Brass, Bronze, Iron, Copper, Cobalt, and Silver with appropriately Draconian names.
Yeah... don't even get me started on the Adamaaz, Ferak, and Kobaaz.

Thanks for the answers, BTW!

davethegame

Explorer
Most of the draconians death throes seem pretty easy to implement in 4e, but how does the baaz work? Do they still turn to stone and trap your weapon when they die?

They still do indeed. There's a level 2 Soldier and a Level 8 Minion Soldier version, both make a reflex attack against the attacker in melee. If it hits, the weapon is stuck, needs a standard action to remove.

So there are seven new dragon types introduced in the way the three new chromatics were in Draconomicon 1? Good gravy! That is pretty awesome if that is true.

Yep, though it's definitely at the cost of other monsters. Not nearly the same variety of other dragon critters as was in Draconomicon 1.

Yeah... don't even get me started on the Adamaaz, Ferak, and Kobaaz.

Thanks for the answers, BTW!

Sure thing!

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
Yep, though it's definitely at the cost of other monsters. Not nearly the same variety of other dragon critters as was in Draconomicon 1.
Umm, excuse me, but have you seen my jaw somewhere? It seems to have clattered to the floor. Perhaps we will see more Draconian types in Dragon mag (to fill out the rest of the types).

Shroomy

Adventurer
They still do indeed. There's a level 2 Soldier and a Level 8 Minion Soldier version, both make a reflex attack against the attacker in melee. If it hits, the weapon is stuck, needs a standard action to remove.

Cool, I don't mind powers that target equipment or specific power sources, as long as its not a total "screw you!" to the players and can be reasonably overcome (totally crippling is totally lame). BTW do any of the new draconians have death throes that affect implements?

Rechan

Adventurer
1) Aside from the new dragons, and the Draconians... what other monsters are there?

2) What the heck is Orium?

3) OK. We see in the excerpt they mention about good and evil metallics. There's obviously material in there about Helpful dragons (Mentors, the Old Man assisting you, etc etc). What about Metallics as antagonists - are there any concrete plots offered, any advice in general beyond what we saw in the excerpt, or is it just "Well they can be evil, unaligned, or still antagonists... figure it out for yourself!"

4) Subdual encounteres - what the hell is that? We get the excerpt Friday, I just want an idea of what that is.

5) Any surprises we're not expecting? Or anything that surprised you, at least.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads