• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anthro-Griffin

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Anthro-Griffin
Medium Humanoid
HD: 2d8+2
Init: +0
Spd: 30ft, fly 80ft(average)
AC: 12 (+0 dex, +2 nat), Touch:10, Flat-Footed: 12
Attack: +3/ Grapple: +3
Melee: 1 bite 1d6+3c20, 2 claws 1d4+1c20
S/R: 5ft/5ft
SA: Pounce, Rake
SQ: Low-Light Vision, Scent
SV: Fort +5 / Ref +0 / Will -1
Abilities: Str 16/ Dex 10/ Con 14/ Int 8/ Wis 8/ Cha 10
Sk:
Feats: Flyby Attack
Env: Temperate Hills, Forests, or Mountains
Organization:
CR: 2
T: Standard
Align: Usually Neutral
Advancement: By Class
LA: -

Flight isn't nearly as big a thing as many make it out to be they'll get it in a couple levels anyway. The natural weapons are inferior to manufactured ones and so aren't worth an LA, nor is scent which if you read carefully just gives you knowledge that something invisible is somewhere close which has little mechanical effect. Biggest issue are the stats and pounce,rake. You're already sub-optimal via the 2 humanoid HD the Str and Con bonus are weighted by two mental penalties and the natural armor is very minor. Could probably do with a little more fleshing out but as a mechanical framework I think this should be fine.

EDIT: for stat purposes assume a base of all 10s

Well, according to SS, an anthro’s type changes to monstrous humanoid. Those created from large are medium sized with 2hd. Speed is 30 feet, so that doesn’t change. The change from large to medium increases fly speed by 50% and it improves one category.

The natural attacks change due to the decrease in size. Attacks that rely on non-humanoid shape become unavailable, meaning they wouldn’t get rake, as that is something done with the hind legs. This would also mean that they would no longer be able to pounce, I would assume.

They would still have dark vision 60’, low-light vision, and scent.

Str., dex., and con. all change do to the change in size. Str. 18-8=10, dex. 15+2=17, con. 16-4=12. Int becomes 11, wis 13+2=15, cha 8+4=12. That’s according to the rules in SS anyway.

CR is base creature +1

All other characteristics remain unchanged, so really natural ac should be +6, unless there is something in the size change that I’m forgetting about at the moment. I appreciate all the response to this, and the help I’ve gotten about fleshing it out, and how to tweak this and that. Hopefully I can have a workable race to show my DM the next time we get together.

Seriously the thing I think he’s going to come down the hardest on is the flight, he sees it as a big advantage in his games. The stat bonuses also seem high for a playable race, but then again an anthro-ape gets, str.+2, dex+6, wis+4 with no level adjustment. For those of you with SS you can take a look at some of the other animals used.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
guardianfallenangel said:
Well, according to SS
Ah if you wanted a SS character then you were right on the money. I took the MM griffon and created a race conforming to the archetype by eye. If you're going to use SS you WON'T get an LA+0 anthro-griffin, because for every part of SS that was useful two were garbage. SS intentionally penalized non-standard races, in many cases beyond playability.

well, the highest ecl for anthro-animals in SS is 5, and thats stuff like the orca. The orca gets str +8, dex +6, con +6, wis +6, and +6 natural armor... all of them are playable, it's just a matter of do you want to be 5 levels behind, just to have a hulking beefcake.

Maybe a middle ground exists where it's still flavorful and not way out of balance. Like I said I appreciate all the input I get from everyone. I'm really not that worried about mechanical advantages, I just think it's a cool idea for a character. The main thing is, I don't want it to be to weak, as that will drain all the fun out of it pretty quick.

Thanks again everyone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads