• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anthro-Griffin

Anthro-Griffin
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 2d8+1
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 ft., fly 120 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 17 ( +3 Dex, +4 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 14
Base Attack: +2
Attack: Bite +2 melee (2d4)
Full Attack: Bite + melee (2d4) and 2 claws + melee (1d3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +7
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 15, Cha 12
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pride (6–10)
Challenge Rating:
Treasure: None
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

looking for any input. i'd really like to have a low ecl so it's actually playable. from what i've seen high ecl races are cool, but when compared to an xlevel whatever they are pretty weak in comparison... so i'd like to avoid that. thanks

allright, i fixed the dex thing. yeah, i did mess that up a little. I see flight as being the major issue with the level adjustment, followed by scent. Though if you compare to a halfCelestial or a centaur the rest of it doesn't seem that bad. As far as the natural attacks, they are weak for a medium creature. Medium creatures get d6 for bite and d4 for claw, though if you look at the griffin they have weak natural attacks for being a large creature.

as far as stat bonuses, I remember reading somewhere that you minus 10 or 11 whatever gives you an even number. So, Str 10, Dex 17 (+6), Con 12 (+2), Int 11, Wis 15 (+4), Cha 12 (+2) as racial modifiers would be correct. Anyway, thanks for all the input so far. I hope to see more.

Last edited:

szilard

First Post
Your ability score bonuses are confused.

17 Dex gives you a +3 to things like Initiative, Reflex Save, and AC.

Otherwise, I'd mark this at about a +3 LA - so ECL 5... and probably CR 2.

-Stuart

Quartz

Hero
CR 5 is a little high - 2 seems more like it. And Con 12 is +1 so HP are 2d8 +2. imilarly Dex 17 gives an AC mod of +3, not +6. The stat mods for Wis and Cha also need attention.

For a PC race, looking at the stats we have Dex +2 and Wis +2. Then we have flight and a good natural AC, plus good saves from the monster HD and the other abilities. LA +2 seems about right, so a first level anthrogriffin will be a 5th level character. Favoured class would be Ranger: the species is perfect for the ranger archer archetype.

szilard

First Post
Quartz said:
For a PC race, looking at the stats we have Dex +2 and Wis +2. Then we have flight and a good natural AC, plus good saves from the monster HD and the other abilities. LA +2 seems about right, so a first level anthrogriffin will be a 5th level character. Favoured class would be Ranger: the species is perfect for the ranger archer archetype.

Actually, as written, for a PC it has:
Dex +6, Con +2, Wis +4, Cha +2

Really good flight. Rather good natural AC. Excellent natural attacks. Scent.

There's no way that should be had for +2 LA.

-Stuart

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads