Any 2e?

Gwaihir

Explorer
I know there are many OD&D & 1E players still using those rulesets, but with all the recent 4E talk, I find myself wondering:

Does anyone still play Second Editiion?

Just Curious. No Edition War intended or contemplated.

Flynn

First Post
Prior to 3E and v3.5, 2nd Edition was my favorite of the D&D/AD&D engines, and it stills hold a warm place in my nostalgic heart. I have not, however, played it in probably six years, though.

I like v3.5, but it has grown quite cumbersome, in a way that 2nd Edition never did for me. While I can run v3.5 well, I am looking for something different that is easy to DM, and that I can find players for. I can find players for v3.5, because it's the current edition, but I don't think I could find players for 2nd Edition anymore.

With Regards,
Flynn

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Freak of Nurture said:
Yep. With some 1E flavor and houserules I think 2E kicks butt.

I played so much 2nd ed like that. Its the way to do it. And we had fun.

But I was very glad to move on.

Mieric

First Post
We still play our 1e/2e/Basic campaign once a month [sometimes even twice, if our SR4/FRCS 3.0 hybrid game gets cancelled] with no end in sight.

12 Years... 5 Players... 20 Characters (that are still alive at least)... 4 Different Parties...

The characters in our highest party are just now hitting 11, 12, and 13th levels in the old Grey Box realms. :p

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Because I started gaming in the 90s, the rules I grew up on were AD&D 2nd edition and OD&D 5th version. When 3e came out, I dropped both for all the shiny new d20 system games, but as the d20 system has grown so bloated and cumbersome over the years, it's a change that I really regret.

These days, I'm happy playing my OD&D 5v (Black Box, Rules Cyclopedia, Thunder Rift, etc.), but if I were ever to once again pick up any iteration of Advanced D&D (by which I mean 1e through 4e), it would definitely be 2e. I have so much nostalgic investment in that edition. Baldur's Gate alone brings a warm fuzzy feeling to my heart ("Go for the eyes, Boo, THE EYES!!!"), but the thought of brining those black-cover 2e books back the game table again (along with a copy of the Complete Psionics Handbook and 1e Oriental Adventures, of course -- the game wouldn't be complete without psionicists, monks, and ninjas) does certainly have its appeal. Ah, the good old days...

The special thing about 2e was that it was the edition that came closest to a "heavy roleplaying" version of D&D. It's the version of the game that made city adventures more fun than dungeon crawls. It's probably because I grew up on 2e and the Black Box in tandem that my own play style tends towards such an even mix of method acting and wargamey hack-n-slash. :)

5v was such a board-gamey rendition of D&D... all the adventures came with little cardboard stand-ups of characters and monsters, and big poster maps with tactical grids for all the rooms. (Anybody remember Escape from Zanzer Tem's Dungeon?) Couple that with the in-depth roleplay encouraged by the 2e Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide, and you have what is IMHO the perfect RPG.

Last edited:

Remove ads