• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any 2e?

I have a bunch of Al-Qadim stuff that hasn't seen use, plus I keep finding Dark Sun boxed sets and modules. I can pretty much run 2E in my sleep. Maybe I should run it again? Hmmm....

RFisher

Explorer
I'd have little choice but to choose 1e over 2e. I fear my 2e books (& 1e UA) wouldn't survive further wear & tear. (^_~) Despite none of them having been used nearly as much as my pre-UA 1e books.

(I too look to 2e for ideas & house-rules for use with my edition-of-choice.)

Thurbane

First Post
Gwaihir said:
I know there are many OD&D & 1E players still using those rulesets, but with all the recent 4E talk, I find myself wondering:

Does anyone still play Second Editiion?

Just Curious. No Edition War intended or contemplated.
Don't play it now, but deep down inside, it's still my personal favorite edition, possibly because of the group I played with back then. :)

Treebore

First Post
I kind of run 2E. Its the version I turn to most for spells, magic items, and monster versions to use in my Castles and Crusades game. I even kind of adapted "Specialty Priests" to my C&C home game.

Before I discovered C&C 2E was the rules system I was going to return to when I realized it was time for me to quit DMing 3E.

So I still have a great fondness for the edition even though I started out playing 1E and OD&D.

So I could definitely be talked into playing 2E again.

Heck, my game is really a hodge podge of every edition of D&D. Skills from 3E, certain rules from 3E, magic items, spells, and monsters from 2E and 1E, mass combat rules from OD&D, and more.

So in a way I think I can say I love every edition of D&D.

Settembrini

First Post
I run it, RAW.

Right now we are playing "Kingdom of the Ghouls" by Wolfgang Baur, the predecessor to the upcoming "Empire of the Ghouls".

It´s terrific, and actually 2e accomplishes a LOT that 4e claims to accomplish.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
One of my players still runs it in an online game. It's probably the edition of the game I "grew up" on, so to speak. I started with Basic D&D and moved onto 1st edition from there. I took the survey in Dragon magazine that paved the way for 2nd edition and played the heck out of it.

I still think the Core Rules CD-ROM was hands-down, the best electronic gaming aid ever. The mapping software wasn't that great, but for writing adventures and pulling together packets of houserules/optional rules in play, it was awesome.

JediSoth

Whisper72

Explorer
Unfortunately, no. I never really ran a full 2e game however, always a 1e/2e hybrid: the DMG from 1st Ed, the PHB from the first 2nd ed (the one with the charging warriro) and the 2E Monstrous Manual (the black spine) for most monsters with the 1st Ed MMI, MMII and FF as back up. Furthermore, I used the DSG and WSG from 1E.

Stormtower

First Post
My beloved homebrew was born in 2e back in 1990, and I also met my future wife at a 2e table in 1991 (she player, me DM) so those rules have a deep and wonderful nostalgia for me. When we were poor and down on our luck in the early 90's we played with the 2e PHB, DMG and Monstrous Compendium (the crappy 3-ring binder thing) plus college-ruled paper, dice and imagination. I'm sure many here have similar memories!

However, as a usable and balanced set of rules mechanics I feel that 3.5 serves me better. It also doesn't hurt that we have disposable income now and have been able to make a serious investment in 3.5 books, minis and game aids. Viva 3.5... but without 2e my family wouldn't be playing D&D at all today.

I still pull out the old Dark Sun and 2e Undermountain and Myth Drannor boxed sets for a good read sometimes. The creativity therein is always useful for mining ideas. I think my favorite thing about 2e was that it seemed to liberate us from trying to play the "right way" and showed how the AD&D system vis-a-vis Gygax, Arneson et. al could be extended with sensible (or sometimes, not-so-sensible) rules.

Remove ads