• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any CRPGs dynamically generating story?

Ry

Explorer
I was wondering if there were any CRPGs yet that dynamically generate story.

Graphics is a non-issue, interface is a real issue.

Ry

Explorer
Bladerunner was more of a very wide set of branches, wasn't it?

Anyway, I'm looking for something between TES:Daggerfall and Fable, but as I don't care about graphics I was hoping that some strange upstart company had done it as a minigame with 2d graphics or something.

I gave up on videogames some time ago, but I like to check in once in awhile to see if the game I've always wanted was being made.

Bront

The man with the probe
Not likely. It would take a lot of development, and what usually ends up happening is you end up with very little plot.

Darklands is probably the closest that what you're looking for, and that's an OLD game, and had it's own problems.

Now, if you're not afraid of modding, there are games out there that can get close to an adaptive story line, but you have to fill in the text for yourself. I know X3: Reunion is a space sim game, but you can mod it so that the races will start to war with each other, and take over other sectors. And since you can build your own fleet, you can influence it though your actions (or just take over space for yourself.

Ry

Explorer
That's a shame. I was hoping someone, somewhere would take the approach beyond what Darklands / Daggerfall did.

Ah well. You can't have everything.

Bront

The man with the probe
rycanada said:
That's a shame. I was hoping someone, somewhere would take the approach beyond what Darklands / Daggerfall did.

Ah well. You can't have everything.
Yes they have, MMORPGs.

Beyond those, you're not going to get that kind of development into a stand alone playable at home game.

Bront

The man with the probe
trancejeremy said:
There is "Dwarf Fortress", which is a rogue like, but seems to have a lot of randomly generated stuff...

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html
I'd worry a little bit about a game that's been in the works for 6 years (2000-2006) and still not done, nor updated reciently.

Honestly, pidgeon-holed open ended is easier to do than just plain old open ended, so something like this, where you have a general idea, but can go about it fairly openly is more likely than a true freeform game.

Ry

Explorer
Bront said:
Yes they have, MMORPGs.

Beyond those, you're not going to get that kind of development into a stand alone playable at home game.

I was under the impression that MMORPGs just have a lot of scripted quests, not dynamically generated story. TES:Morrowind / TES:Oblivion has as many as I could want of those - I was under the impression MMORPGs have the same model, but with a bunch of jerk non-NPCs running around :(

Are there MMORPGs that are dynamically generating story?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads