• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any DM's not allowing Spiked Chains?

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The cost is a feat,,, which is very expensive when you can get the same effect with a guisarme and just be more aware of your movement.

The only time it gets wonky is when people start Expanding and doing crazy trip actions.

Even then... they used up a feat. It is pretty much the same as Short Haft. So would you ban that feat as well?

Now, if it is a flavor thing? Sure remove it from your game.

It really isnt an imbalanced weapon, it just can be cheesy in the right hands and when the rules arent strickly followed.

Wrathamon said:
Even then... they used up a feat. It is pretty much the same as Short Haft. So would you ban that feat as well?
The ability to *simultaneously* threaten two zones is what makes the Spiked Chain so much better than a polearm, even with Short Haft.

Suppose I'm using a Spring Attacking glaive-fighter in a duel. For every one attack you get, I get two. Move 15', attack you, move 15' away. You get a single attack, but provoke an AOO. One easy counter to this: move up through the threatened area, taking the AOO, and then try to grapple or disarm. If I threatened at close range, I'd get another AOO to stop you (Combat Reflexes is basically a must-have for any reach-weapon fighter), but I don't. I need to threaten at both 10' and 5' at the same time in order to a) make my normal tactic work; and b) prevent the obvious counter to my tactic. I don't think Short Haft will do that.

Improved Unarmed Strike might work to give close-range AOOs even with both hands occupied by the glaive, although I don't think spiked gauntlets would. Inhuman Reach (Lords of Madness) combined with a non-reach weapon also works for this, but has drawbacks.

Elethiomel

First Post
Seans: There was a whole thread on that on the OotS forums, and multiple build examples that would grant the same number of attacks of opportunity (Hold the Line was one example).

Plus, as the strip says, Roy didn't do well in the AoO class, so the half-ogre probably just tricked him. ;)

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I ban it, as well as several other minor pieces of the game that can lead straight into silliness, or abusive builds. The problem with the spiked chain is that it allows more abuse of the reach/AoO and Improved Trip rules. The easiest way to help keep those in control is to ban the spiked and normal chains. Yes, you can still do it with a reach weapon like a longspear, but there are at least some more restrictions there.

Nail

First Post
Elemental said:
For the life of me, I can't visualise how the heck you'd attack with one of those things (never mind two trips and two AoO's in six seconds while somehow defending yourself)..
Watch Kill Bill, Vol 1.

See a neat live-action spiked chain fight. You'll get the idea..... :]

Festivus

First Post
I allow it... though it usually ends up being sunder bait fairly quick... or my solution last time around was swallow whole and digest the chain (and the fighter).

nittanytbone

First Post
Elethiomel said:
Seans: There was a whole thread on that on the OotS forums, and multiple build examples that would grant the same number of attacks of opportunity (Hold the Line was one example).

Plus, as the strip says, Roy didn't do well in the AoO class, so the half-ogre probably just tricked him. ;)

Or the Half-Ogre has Hold the Line: One AoO for the movement out of a threatened square, one AoO vs. a charging foe.

Remove ads