Any Gamers In Brighton (Sussex, England)? A New Game Shop Is Opening

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Sadly, I'm not going to make it, as I'm doing overtime at work (but hey, it's time-and-a-half so that's good).

Hopefully some of you will put up some impressions about the day!

Jonny Nexus

First Post
Hi all,

I was there on Saturday, fairly late on, and managed to have a bit of a chat with Guy, the owner of the shop. I also got to take a few pictures. At the moment, there doesn't appear to be a huge range of stock in, and most of what stock is present is wargames related. But it's probably a good move to keep stock levels low initially and then see what people want (rather than tie up lots of capital on things that might not sell).

I ended up buying the 1st World War Famous Aces version of Wings of War, together with two models - a Fokker Triplane and a Sopwith Snipe.

This is the main section of the store (it's on three split levels):

WargamesHeaven-Opening-4-Sm.jpg

And another view from the coffee area:

WargamesHeaven-Opening-1-Sm.jpg

It's not yet fitted out, but the area above the main shop is going to be a coffee shop, where gamers attending the club (and parents of gamers attending the club) can get refreshments. From what I could see, it looked like a pretty good "full cafe" set up, rather than the traditional fridge plus snacks arrangement you get in lots of games shops.

WargamesHeaven-Opening-2-Sm.jpg

There's also customer toilets in that area too, which is pretty nice.

And then beyond the coffee shop is a third level, which will be the games club room. This will be open all day (including evenings) on weekdays, and then during the day on Saturday and Sunday. From the first week onwards it will only be open to members of the "Valhalla Club". (I didn't get any details of that). It's pretty big.

WargamesHeaven-Opening-3-Sm.jpg

When I was there, it was set up with various wargaming displays, but I'm guessing that once it gets going there will be plain tables for people to play board games or RPGs.

It's a pretty impressive setup.

Heselbine

Explorer
D&D Worldwide Game Day

Been down there again today - my kids did an introductory painting lesson (for free!!!).

I'm trying to persuade the owner to run D&D worldwide game day on September 19. I've been in touch with Charles Ryan and he says it's not too late.

If you're in the shop over the next few days, mention it to him if you'd like to participate. It would be great to support our new local shop with a big kick-off event like this.

I'm happy to DM and I guess Mathew might too? Anyone interested in playing?

Jonny Nexus

First Post
Been down there again today - my kids did an introductory painting lesson (for free!!!).

I'm trying to persuade the owner to run D&D worldwide game day on September 19. I've been in touch with Charles Ryan and he says it's not too late.

If you're in the shop over the next few days, mention it to him if you'd like to participate. It would be great to support our new local shop with a big kick-off event like this.

I'm happy to DM and I guess Mathew might too? Anyone interested in playing?

Talked with Guy (the owner) yesterday, and it sounds like this is going ahead. He's going to get back to me with more details, and when he does, I'll post them here.

Zge

First Post
While I was searching for a place for RPG players in Brighton, I found out this forum. I am going to Brighton for a month and want to spend sometime with playing RPGs or looking for sth for warhammer army. The place you discussed about, is it still active and can I play RPGs? Because last time I came I was so bored. Because all ppl I knew was going to clubs everynight!

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
Wargames Heaven is still open, but I don't know how much D&D they're doing. They aren't currently running D&D Encounters. They have the space, though, and I'm sure they'd be willing to listen if any enterprising GM volunteered to help them out with it!

Zge

First Post
It does not have to be D&D, other systems could be tried. I've played many systems, but thank you by the way. I will check the place when I am in Brighton. :)

Remove ads