• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any new SDAs out there?

Zhnov

First Post
Lil' house rule action...

Immortal Boon
The deity is capable of granting eternal life to mortals.
Prerequisites: Avatar, Possess Mortal
Benefit: The deity uses a portion of its own divine essence to bestow Divine Rank 0, and all associated benefits, on a mortal creature. A deity may perform this act a number of times equal to their current divine rank, before they themselves lose 1 divine rank.
Ascending mortals gain the following benefits:
*Becomes Immortal (doesn't age; does not need to sleep, eat, or breathe). [May die of wounds.]
*Get maximum HP for every HD they possess, [retroactive].
*Gain a faster movement speed, based on size (DDG p26)
*Gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to Cha bonus.
*Gain immunity to Transmutation, Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Ability Damage, and Mind-Affecting effects
*Gain DR 35/+4, Fire Resistance 20, and SR 32
Suggested Portfolio Elements: Supreme

Got any to share ??
thx, OP

Hey there Orlic! :)

Orlic Pazafar said:
Any new SDAs out there?

If you can wait a month or so I have over 200 new Divine Abilities in the Immortals Handbook. :cool:

...actually its more like +100 SDAs; +75 CDAs; +30 ODAs and +15 MDAs. ;)

Orlic Pazafar said:
Lil' house rule action...

Immortal Boon
The deity is capable of granting eternal life to mortals.
Prerequisites: Avatar, Possess Mortal
Benefit: The deity uses a portion of its own divine essence to bestow Divine Rank 0, and all associated benefits, on a mortal creature. A deity may perform this act a number of times equal to their current divine rank, before they themselves lose 1 divine rank.
Ascending mortals gain the following benefits:
*Becomes Immortal (doesn't age; does not need to sleep, eat, or breathe). [May die of wounds.]
*Get maximum HP for every HD they possess, [retroactive].
*Gain a faster movement speed, based on size (DDG p26)
*Gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to Cha bonus.
*Gain immunity to Transmutation, Energy Drain, Ability Drain, Ability Damage, and Mind-Affecting effects
*Gain DR 35/+4, Fire Resistance 20, and SR 32
Suggested Portfolio Elements: Supreme

Looks a touch overpowered. But don't WotC already have rules for creating Proxies (which are Divine Rank 1 rather than DvR 0 admittedly).

Orlic Pazafar said:
Got any to share ??
thx, OP

A friend of mine posted some here:

http://www.dicefreaks.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=123

Zhnov

First Post
Re: Re: Any new SDAs out there?

Upper_Krust said:
Hey there Orlic! :)

Howdy, Upper_Krust!

If you can wait a month or so I have over 200 new Divine Abilities in the Immortals Handbook. :cool:

...actually its more like +100 SDAs; +75 CDAs; +30 ODAs and +15 MDAs. ;)

Oh, I'll tell you--I'm pretty frustrated that the SRD hasn't come out already... I hoped to see the Imm Handbook out this last spring. With some longstanding immortal campaigns running, we are looking for a finely tuned system to breathe some fresh air into our own rules. ImH is greatly sought.... hurry up, we wish WotC would! (That means we hope you do not delay, either!!! :D)

Even still, noble UK, I'm wondering what other hrule SDAs folks may have put on the board (while patiently waiting for my search button to be enabled) ;)

Looks a touch overpowered. But don't WotC already have rules for creating Proxies (which are Divine Rank 1 rather than DvR 0 admittedly).

Indeed, but my objective was an immortal with a little less juice. We don't necessarily want PCs walking around thinking they are really Gods now, do we?:D

Actually, without the benefit of the ImH to map out some new territory, many DMs are probably stuck with the open ended questions posed by WotC in the DDG:

- Does the pantheon accept newcomers (open) or not (closed)
- Does the pantheon have domains currently unclaimed?
- Can the immortal claim a domain also held by another? If so, must he be bound to another power of the same domain?
- If immortal is not bound to a pantheon, does the local cosmos (overgod territory) accept newcomers?
- What is general availability of loosed power within the locality?
- What is the population of immortals and gods in the local pantheon(s)?
- Does the pantheon have a great struggle somewhere that would fuel the need for immortals?
- At what rate does a host god generally provide divinity awards? One point each decade or century, or on each significantly greater accomplishment?

*- What mechanics are reasonable for handling ascension?

Thanks for the link! I also look forward to see more previews of your book before it comes out... do you have a website with all the teasers available?

Orlic

Re: Re: Re: Any new SDAs out there?

Orlic Pazafar said:
Howdy, Upper_Krust!

Hello again Orlic mate! :)

Orlic Pazafar said:
Oh, I'll tell you--I'm pretty frustrated that the SRD hasn't come out already... I hoped to see the Imm Handbook out this last spring.

You and me both. :eek:

That said, the book has benefitted from the delays. ;)

Orlic Pazafar said:
With some longstanding immortal campaigns running, we are looking for a finely tuned system to breathe some fresh air into our own rules. ImH is greatly sought.... hurry up, we wish WotC would! (That means we hope you do not delay, either!!! :D)

Hopefully things will be a lot clearer by the end of this month.

Orlic Pazafar said:
Even still, noble UK, I'm wondering what other hrule SDAs folks may have put on the board (while patiently waiting for my search button to be enabled) ;)

I seem to recall there was a thread dedicated to new SDAs on the old Wizards Boards in the Deities & Demigods Forum.

*Goes and sees if he can find the thread in question*

Nope. I went back 9 pages in the Archive and couldn't find it. They seem to be missing six months though - maybe it was trimmed before?

Orlic Pazafar said:
Indeed, but my objective was an immortal with a little less juice. We don't necessarily want PCs walking around thinking they are really Gods now, do we?:D

Better to have them walk before they can run. :D

Orlic Pazafar said:
Actually, without the benefit of the ImH to map out some new territory, many DMs are probably stuck with the open ended questions posed by WotC in the DDG:

Not sure if you wanted these answered or not (?) Lets see what I can do on the fly...

Orlic Pazafar said:
- Does the pantheon accept newcomers (open) or not (closed)

Think of a Pantheon as an exclusive club. You can't 'get in' unless you are invited by a current member...following that there would of course be certain tests; responsibilities; duties... ;)

Orlic Pazafar said:
- Does the pantheon have domains currently unclaimed?

Well the way I work it is that every Deity gains two Portfolios (one chosen by the player, the other by the DM).

In the Book I list 46 Portfolios (some allow variants) and outline how to create your own. This means that just using the Portfolios in the book alone there are over 2000 combinations.

So the same Pantheon could have a God of Fire and Chaos; A God of Fire and Sun and a God of Fire (you can take the same Portfolio twice).

Orlic Pazafar said:
- Can the immortal claim a domain also held by another?

If by Domain you meant Portfolio (I mean two good aligned Gods could both have the Good Domain) then it depends on whether you are using an open (in which case yes) or closed (in which case no) cosmology.

Orlic Pazafar said:
If so, must he be bound to another power of the same domain?

Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

Orlic Pazafar said:
- If immortal is not bound to a pantheon, does the local cosmos (overgod territory) accept newcomers?

I would say yes, but of course such an immortal will run into problems should his worship encroach upon that of a Pantheon members.

Orlic Pazafar said:
- What is general availability of loosed power within the locality?

The Worship Points System covers this. Thats explained in the IH.

Orlic Pazafar said:
- What is the population of immortals and gods in the local pantheon(s)?

Techically there is no limit. But of course divinity must come from somewhere.

Orlic Pazafar said:
- Does the pantheon have a great struggle somewhere that would fuel the need for immortals?

Surely this is up to individual DMs. Though I have a special section on Pantheon threats in the IH.

Orlic Pazafar said:
- At what rate does a host god generally provide divinity awards? One point each decade or century, or on each significantly greater accomplishment?

This is tied in with the Worship Points System.

Orlic Pazafar said:
*- What mechanics are reasonable for handling ascension?

My Worship Points System in the Immortals Handbook.

Orlic Pazafar said:
Thanks for the link! I also look forward to see more previews of your book before it comes out... do you have a website with all the teasers available?

I'll pull my finger out (so to speak) and get the website finished by the end of this month with general information; some previews; and some artwork. :cool:

Zhnov

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Any new SDAs out there?

Upper_Krust said:
Hello again Orlic mate! :)

Howdy again, might one.

Edit: removed uncooperative custom smilie.

Not sure if you wanted these answered or not (?) Lets see what I can do on the fly...

No, but thank you! I appreciate your perspective. Having developed my own imm system, mechanics can hinge on some of these questions, and I've been forced to consider the differences in pantheons, how these questions might apply to each, and how to build the mechanic to support the possible answers. Surely you went down this same road a long time ago. :)

Orlic said:
If so, must he be bound to another power of the same domain?
Originally posted by UK
Not sure exactly what you mean by this.

Well, IMC, ascended mortals are "bound" (obliged to obey, possibly serve) the power which granted them immortality. Deities who join pantheons are similarly bound to the "supreme" token holder of the pantheon, and pantheon leaders are bound to overgods. He who gives can also take away.

In some cases, immortals are not bound to a pantheon, but are "free powers". They may establish a new pantheon some day, perhaps... and prefer not to be bound. Being bound does have its benefits however, that of sanctuary, purpose, and perhaps growth.

Like many of the other questions I mentioned earlier (although not really looking for specific answers--thank you for your perspective, though)... questions also posed in the DDG, the question of 'binding' is one of many that each DM will have to ask for themselves: "How will it be IMC?"

I've read parts of the IH thread over a long while (hard to keep up with at times... lengthy), and percieve that the IH will cover the comprehensive mechanics required to link the mortal and divine "worlds". UK, the answers to your questions show that you have considered some of these previously flexible elements, while some matters will still be a matter of application by individual DMs.. which is very good, IMO (your system not being narrowed to a particular type of pantheon, or open/closed systems).

...get the website finished by the end of this month with general information; some previews; and some artwork. :cool:

Cool, very cool... thank you.

~Orlic Pazafar
Scribe of Carrandoe
Hobbit Archmage

Last edited:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any new SDAs out there?

Orlic Pazafar said:
Howdy again, might one.

Hiya mate! :)

Orlic Pazafar said:
No, but thank you!

No need to thank me, but appreciated nonetheless.

Orlic Pazafar said:
I appreciate your perspective. Having developed my own imm system, mechanics can hinge on some of these questions,

Absolutely.

Orlic Pazafar said:
and I've been forced to consider the differences in pantheons, how these questions might apply to each, and how to build the mechanic to support the possible answers. Surely you went down this same road a long time ago. :)

Practically a millenia ago. ;)

Originally posted by UK
Well, IMC, ascended mortals are "bound" (obliged to obey, possibly serve) the power which granted them immortality. Deities who join pantheons are similarly bound to the "supreme" token holder of the pantheon, and pantheon leaders are bound to overgods. He who gives can also take away.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see what you mean now. Yes that would be my take on it. Of course the obligation means different things to different alignments.

Orlic Pazafar said:
In some cases, immortals are not bound to a pantheon, but are "free powers". They may establish a new pantheon some day, perhaps... and prefer not to be bound. Being bound does have its benefits however, that of sanctuary, purpose, and perhaps growth.

Like many of the other questions I mentioned earlier (although not really looking for specific answers--thank you for your perspective, though)... questions also posed in the DDG, the question of 'binding' is one of many that each DM will have to ask for themselves: "How will it be IMC?"

Indeed.

Orlic Pazafar said:
I've read parts of the IH thread over a long while (hard to keep up with at times... lengthy),

Tell me about it. :rolleyes:

Orlic Pazafar said:
and percieve that the IH will cover the comprehensive mechanics required to link the mortal and divine "worlds". UK, the answers to your questions show that you have considered some of these previously flexible elements, while some matters will still be a matter of application by individual DMs.. which is very good, IMO (your system not being narrowed to a particular type of pantheon, or open/closed systems).

You need that flexibility simply because of the possible diversity.

Orlic Pazafar said:
Cool, very cool... thank you.

Anytime mate.

Remove ads