Any OA campaigns out there?

Chronosome

First Post
Hey, all. :)

I was wondering: is anyone here running (or playing in) an Oriental Adventures
campaign? How's it going? Tell me all about it...it's theme, high
points, low points, characters, plot...

...even if it's Rokugan. (Though I'd prefer a homebrew.)

I'm really wondering if anyone's actually using that gigantic book. :)

Dr Midnight

Explorer
Bump.

I'm also very curious. I'd like to know how it works, how enjoyable everything is, etc... I'd like to play, but I'm skeptical of the flavor of adventure you might get from an OA campaign.

Rune

Once A Fool
Yes, I am. The link to my story hour is in my sig. It's a homebrew and its...different. In fact, I'd say that it's more homebrew than it is OA, but I'm using the OA rules (although I allowed the Core PC races). I'm having a lot of fun with it, anyway...

Villano

First Post
A Player, Not A DM...

I'm currently playing in a Rokugan/OA game. We started before the Rokugan book was released, so there are a few differences.

With that said, I really love the setting. I can honestly say that it's my favorite so far (okay, I've only played in generic 3E games before...:)). What I like about it is that everything is well defined. The world is laid out in detail. Incredible detail. You get a complete veiw of virtually every aspect of the world. I like the idea of knowing where your character stands in a campaign.

And besides that, I'm a sucker for those old samurai movies like Shogun Assassin or the Zatoichi films. Now I'm living it!:D

exempt

First Post
Here's a link to a journal of the campaign I DM:

http://www.geocities.com/winspir/wei/dragon2.htm

It's based on the traditional Japanese setting, but with enough twists to make people know its' definitely fantasy they're in.

As for Rune's campaign, that thing would be interesting even if it were not OA-based. Definitely check it out.

I suppose the real difference between an OA campaign and a 'vanilla' one is not a lot of stuff you get in the book -- feats, classes, martial arts, and weapons. It's more how your character interacts with the campaign world, how they show respect to the mayor, how they regard other PC's of lower status, how they try not to offend as often someone elsewhere might. I know all these are blatant stereotypes, but they each hold a grain of truth.

Hope I haven't offended somebody with this... we see playing the stereotypical bushido-bent samurai as fun as someone else likes playing the chivalric knight, I guess. Both stereotytpes and historically inaccurate.

That is, if you're looking for the 'flavor' of an OA campaign, you can see some of it in the artwork of the source book and the chapter on creating campaigns, but it's also what you and the playters bring in.

Neowolf

First Post
We just started a mid-level (4th) campaign in a homebrew world I cooked up using a lot of the material from OA. It's going pretty well so far, our party is consists of 2 samurai, an archer-style fighter, a shaman and a sorceress. One thing I decided about this world was that sorcerers would be hated and feared because it's believed that their powers are linked to the Oni (major demons/bad guys in my setting).

Rune

Once A Fool
exempt said:
As for Rune's campaign, that thing would be interesting even if it were not OA-based. Definitely check it out.

Hey, thanks! I'll definitely have to check your campaign out! It's funny you should mention the fact that my campaign could be a non-OA campaign; the setting originally was not (and any published version will not specifically be) Oriental Adventures games. I decided to use an Oriental theme/flavor (and the OA rules) to add an exotic touch to an otherwise bizarre setting.

Last edited:

Emiricol

I once read a fascinating rant from the creator of 7th Sea (I dont play the game) and the gist of the rant was this; "Everything Louder Than Everything Else." He meant that colors should be brighter, noises louder, evil more evil, quests more noble, etc. than they are in the boring ol' real world.

That's the typical Euro-centric fantasy campaign.

OA, far as I can tell, is fundamentally different. Like, "everything quieter" not "louder", but a lot more deadly. A political campaign would fit just so perfectly :)

Remove ads