D&D 5E Any one have any clue about the DC to apply poison?

zaratan

First Post
apply poison in what? like anoint an arrow in the poison that is in a vial?

Unless the guy have no arms and legs, I don't think you need a roll to do that.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Well, the Poisoner's Kit does state add your proficiency bonus to any ability checks you make to craft or use poisons.

The bolded text implies there is a DC to using poisons that the Poisoner's Kit applies to.

Lanliss

Explorer
I thought of that as applying to the stealth roll when adding poison to someone's drink, or something similar. I don't think you really need a check for dipping an arrow in a vial, or pouring that vial on a sword.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I think that passage is meant more along the lines of "should your DM decide that use of poison in particular circumstances is not certain to succeed (i.e. dip an arrow head in an injury type poison), and not certain to fail (i.e. trying to put an inhalation type poison on a dagger), and thus an appropriate time to call for some kind of check, you should gain your proficiency bonus on that check if proficient with this tool."

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I think that passage is meant more along the lines of "should your DM decide that use of poison in particular circumstances is not certain to succeed (i.e. dip an arrow head in an injury type poison), and not certain to fail (i.e. trying to put an inhalation type poison on a dagger), and thus an appropriate time to call for some kind of check, you should gain your proficiency bonus on that check if proficient with this tool."

That's a whole lot of should for two words in a brief tool description.

Most likely that is the direction of intent, yet vague doesn't quite sum up the information about it. And if that is the original intent, there are no examples in the core books about applying improper poisons or applying them in strenuous circumstances. I doubt it is something that would ever come up in my own games, but it would be nice to see clarified for those interested.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Most likely that is the direction of intent, yet vague doesn't quite sum up the information about it. And if that is the original intent, there are no examples in the core books about applying improper poisons or applying them in strenuous circumstances. I doubt it is something that would ever come up in my own games, but it would be nice to see clarified for those interested.
I think this is one of the many cases where specific examples actually serve the opposite purpose - rather than helping uncertain DMs gain certainty and empowering DMs to call for checks and set DCs as appropriate to the circumstances of their individual campaigns, they cause uncertainty or leave a less-confident DM adhering to the examples even when those examples are not fully appropriate for the circumstances of their campaign.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I think this is one of the many cases where specific examples actually serve the opposite purpose - rather than helping uncertain DMs gain certainty and empowering DMs to call for checks and set DCs as appropriate to the circumstances of their individual campaigns, they cause uncertainty or leave a less-confident DM adhering to the examples even when those examples are not fully appropriate for the circumstances of their campaign.

So, zero examples for a less-confident DM are more empowering than any examples? I see where you are going, and I understand the thought process, but I have never seen that method work out in real tabletop play by anything but an already well-seasoned DM. Little things like this tend to bog down less-confident DMs, as they deal with the advice from the members of their table.

If I ran into this in my own game, I'd generally just handwave it to keep the game moving. If they were trying to apply poison while doing some crazy physical action, I'd prefer to have them make a check for that action over the application of potion check. I guess, in that circumstance, the Poisoner's Kit could apply to that other action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases