Any other Lazy DM's?

Firedancer

First Post
I'm officially a Lazy DM!!

Well, looks like I got my wish (having posted about the availability of such a book previously):
Creative Conclave critters

A book full of levelled beasties ready to chuck at the players at short notice, saving me time creating statblocks.

Wonder what other aids they've got in the works.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I saw this and was curious. I really like the idea. Have you had a chance to look at it, yet? How does it seem?

Since I haven't bought it yet, does that make me only an unofficial Lazy DM? I know I'm lazy enough.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Cool, I hope you find it useful!

In the works are:

Reptilians - Kobolds, Lizardfolk and Troglodytes
Orcs, Gnolls, Ogres Trolls - the remaining common evil humanoids
Familiars and Animal Companions - a sort of companion piece really, will probably include some of those Celestial/Fiendish summoned creatures too.

There may be an underwater one, perhaps giants. I think some of the more complex creatures are going to be more useful since with humanoids the parts that stem from the humanoid are quite easy to change. By the time you've got a 16th level cleric lich hobgoblin, for example, the hobgoblin bits (+2 Dex, +2 Con, Darkvision 60 ft. and +4 Move Silently - I know those off by heart) are quite minor parts of all the stats. Where you have racial HD it gets a bit harder to level them up, especially if you're a Lazy DM ;)

[Edit: I'd be interested to hear what you think, too. Something that has just occured to me (a duh moment!). I was a bit bothered by the dead space that cropped up in places. We statted up the gobbos according to the levels shown in the SRD which gives 6-8th level leaders. Hence up to 8th level before going to the 'character' types. That meant that a lot of the 8th level leaders ended up on a page by themselves due to the typesetting. I've just realised that we could have gone a few levels more! Gah. Next time. Well, the idea was that you copy/paste or print as needed, not that you print out the whole thing in one batch so hopefully it won't waste too much paper.]

Simon

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
I'm interested in it too, I've got a game with goblins as a big setting element and I've been scooping up a bunch of goblin stuff lately. I wonder how long it will take before it is up on rpgnow.com.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Voadam said:
I wonder how long it will take before it is up on rpgnow.com.

I'm working on it :). Still getting to grips with the mechanics of the One Book Shelf merger.

Last edited:

sjmiller

Explorer
Either I missed it or I cannot see how many pages this is. It would be interesting to know that and maybe see what one of the critters is like.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I am not a huge fan of One Book Shelf. If that's the only place to get it, then I will have to pass.

Wystan

Explorer
sjmiller said:
Either I missed it or I cannot see how many pages this is. It would be interesting to know that and maybe see what one of the critters is like.

Also, to be perfectly honest, I am not a huge fan of One Book Shelf. If that's the only place to get it, then I will have to pass.

From the front Page of ENWorld, News Items... :):
The Creative Conclave has released its first product, The Lazy GM: Goblinoids, which features 116 pages of thematically-oriented sword fodder for GMs to drop into their games. This product includes various goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, worgs and dire wolves.

Voadam

Legend
The_Gneech said:
Gee, WotC published a book like this and got crucified for it. :p

-The Gneech :cool:

I wish WotC made a book like this sounds like.

100 pages of plug and play goblin stats sounds comprehensive and useful for my campaign with lots of goblins, more than the "here are five different classed orcs and then 4 drow, and 4 gnolls" as done in MMIV.

wakedown

Explorer
Well.. releasing an MM with only a half dozen classed monsters with cool names (like Arcane Guards and Dark Snupers) gives you solid identifiable options for collectable miniatures ;)

A book with 200 statblocks would dilute the odds of customers identifying something as rememberable in an encounter by a simple phrase and then having the impulse/urge to go buy the minis when they pop up a few months later.

Not that I'm advocating the MMIV format, but it definately makes sense what Wizards is doing. I do know I was a "lazy DM" recently and having remembered Lolth's Sting as pregen'd Drow Ninjas threw a quick encounter with those and my players know totally identify "Lolth's Sting" as a certain archetype (the DDM minis absolutely helped to reinforce... "ohhhh so thats what those do!!")

Remove ads