any reason a Lich couldnt be assassinated (ie: Death Attack)

IcyCool

First Post
Ardenian said:
alright - well.. dont tell my dm... 'cause i chopped that focker up like Ed Gein

Here's the relevant passages from the PHB and DMG as well:

PHB said:
A rogue can sneak attack only living creatures with discernable anatomies - undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks.

DMG said:
Death Attack: If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly either paralyzing or killing the target (assassin's choice).

Edit - Also, as a moderator will eventually tell you, don't try to bypass the profanity filter.

Nail

First Post
Actually, Ed Gein skinned corpses he exhumed, but....the idea is similar. I doubt any of the corpses were undead, though......

Sejs

First Post
calypso15 said:
And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that "death attack" is not a death effect.

Name a single instance of a death effect, other than your proposal of an assassin's Death Attack ability, that is not a spell.

If you are able to find one, does the ability expressly go out of its way to state that it is a death effect?

Edit: For the record, I do agree that undead are immune to an assassin's Death Attack, I just do not belive that it is a [death] effect.

Though it'd be cool if it were. Then you wouldn't be able to cast Raise Dead anyone killed by an assassin.

Last edited:

calypso15

Explorer
Sejs said:
Name a single instance of a death effect, other than your proposal of an assassin's Death Attack ability, that is not a spell.

If you are able to find one, does the ability expressly go out of its way to state that it is a death effect?

Death Domain power:

You may use a death touch once per day. Your death touch is a supernatural ability that produces a death effect. You must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When you touch, roll 1d6 per cleric level you possess. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies (no save).

and yes, it does. But that doesn't prove that death attack isn't, merely that this is.

Ardenian

First Post
Nail said:
Actually, Ed Gein skinned corpses he exhumed, but....the idea is similar. I doubt any of the corpses were undead, though......

he did do that - in addition to killing scads of women and chopping them up for chum.

Remove ads