any reason a Lich couldnt be assassinated (ie: Death Attack)

Ardenian

First Post
i killed once last night, and we think it could have been immune to death attacks...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

thanks all,
-Russ

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Undead are immune to both sneak attack and death effects, so a death attack will not work on them. Look in the monster manual for undead traits. Their was an epic feat in 3.0 that let you do this. I think it was in Dragon # 292.

calypso15

Explorer
Death Attack:

If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies.

Undead Type:

-Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

-Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.

Calypso

Pyrex

First Post
Undead are immune to [Death] effects, but the Assassin's Death Attack is not a [Death] effect.

It is contingent upon a successful sneak attack though, which Undead are immune to as a result of being immune to critical hits.

Even if you somehow (feats, spells, the new augment crystal in the forthcoming Magic Item Compendium, etc) manage to Sneak Attack an Undead, the Death Attack *still* won't work because Undead are immune to any effect that allows a Fort save unless that effect can affect objects (i.e. Disintegrate, which works great against undead with their typically poor Fort saves)

calypso15

Explorer
Pyrex said:
Undead are immune to [Death] effects, but the Assassin's Death Attack is not a [Death] effect.

It doesn't say that they're immune to spells with the [Death] descriptor. It says that they're immune to death effects. And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that "death attack" is not a death effect.

Calypso

Nail

First Post
FWIW, I agree with calypso15.

Death Attack (Ex) can't be used on an Undead because:
  • They're immune to "death effects", and
  • they're immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

Ardenian

First Post
calypso15 said:
It doesn't say that they're immune to spells with the [Death] descriptor. It says that they're immune to death effects. And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that "death attack" is not a death effect.

Calypso

sneak attack works is the target is occupied or engaged in another battle, no?

Nail

First Post
Ardenian said:
Nope.

It has nothing to do with "the target is occupied". Sneak attack works if:
  • the target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or
  • when the rogue flanks her target. [/quote]

IcyCool

First Post
Ardenian said:

No, not for undead. Any creature that is immune to critical hits (like the undead) are also immune to the extra damage from sneak attacks. This also makes them immune to the assassin's death attack (read the death attack description). Even if that weren't the case, undead are still immune to any effect that gives a Fortitude save (unless it works on objects, which death attack doesn't). And last but not least, undead are immune to "death" effects.

Remove ads