Any Roman history nerds here?

I think if your setting is coming off of a rare major war, granting the veterans of that conflict territory can makes sense as a one-off event. The longer the war lasted, the less likely it the units will want to break up and the more likely many of them never even learned how to be farmers. Being an active militia means the government could pay a partial salary, offsetting their lack of skill.

Plausible scenarios
  • The lands might have been part of the kingdom that were depopulated & destroyed during the war.
  • it was a hard to reach frontier and now there are roads built to supply the front.
  • an enemy found/improved an unknown mountain pass to launch a surprise attack and now they need defenses.
  • troops were shifted to the "real" front, so monsters and beasts flourished in this area and drove out the civilians.
  • Maybe there are a series of border fortresses that are to be built as a long term defense and these communities will be the source of supplies rather than shipping in food. (Maybe those fortresses don't happen due to the expense....)
  • And of course, it could be always be territory conceded/claimed as part of the war.

Last edited:

Digdude

Just a dude with a shovel, looking for the past.
I got a 4year degree in Classical Studies and stayed at a Holiday Inn once, so Im an expert.:unsure:

Mad_Jack

Legend
I got a 4year degree in Classical Studies and stayed at a Holiday Inn once, so Im an expert.:unsure:

He stayed at a Holiday Inn once, so therefore he's the world's foremost expert on the subject, and you should listen to him.

(I once stopped at a Holiday Inn to ask directions once, so that's like the equivalent of an associate degree, right? :p )

Last edited:

Remove ads