WotC Anybody a little worried about how useful their paid VTT library will be in a year+?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Oh, I think that will 100% change.
They will want you playing on DND's VTT the instant it's implemented. They'll shut down the Beyond20 browser extension. They want your monthly subscription on their VTT. They aren't going to let a free browser extension take that from them.
This has been a concern to us also.

I like the Beyond20 extension, and I buy books on Beyond, so I was hoping that was enough profit for WotC to keep allowing it, but I'm not sure anymore.

Retreater

Legend
I'm not sure they can shut down that extension, as it doesn't actually use the OGL or contain any copyrighted text. It just tells one window on your browser what is happening on another window, and adds an overlay on your screen allowing you to roll. It's independent of any license and as hard for WotC to stop as an "ad blocker" extension.
I'm not sure about tech requirements, but they've taken it down before. And taken down the Foundry equivalent. Others have come up to replace the originals, but I'm sure Wizards will be going after it with gusto.

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I'm not sure about tech requirements, but they've taken it down before.
Was that WotC?
It's stopped working a few times, but I believe that was following Roll20 updates.

And taken down the Foundry equivalent. Others have come up to replace the originals, but I'm sure Wizards will be going after it with gusto.
I'm unfamiliar with that story. Can you provide a link to a breakdown?

Also, Beyond20 works on the Foundry.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I'm not sure they can shut down that extension, as it doesn't actually use the OGL or contain any copyrighted text. It just tells one window on your browser what is happening on another window, and adds an overlay on your screen allowing you to roll. It's independent of any license and as hard for WotC to stop as an "ad blocker" extension.
I would have to check again but I think that Beyond20 and similar tools violate the D&DBeyond TOS.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
On the broader point I do not see myself changing my VTT of choice for the OneVTT unless the value proposition is crazy good. I am sure it will look pretty but I am extremely sceptical that a 3D VTT will be at all easy to manage and while D&DBeyond is pretty good it lacks any DM campaign management tools that I would want.
I am perfectly prepared to hand roll encounters, monsters and maps and cut and paste or even type out the material I need to run the game. I did it before and will do it again.
Nothing so far indicates that the OneVTT has the DM quality of life stuff that I currently enjoy and value on FantasyGrounds.

Remove ads