Anybody played the latest Lair Assault yet?

Dice4Hire

First Post
I played in it and we actually managed to do everything in about the best way. We beat it on the 19th round. First one our group has beaten on the first try.

It is not too original, but it is a good lair assault.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I played in it and we actually managed to do everything in about the best way. We beat it on the 19th round. First one our group has beaten on the first try.

It is not too original, but it is a good lair assault.

Interesting. We had a big group and I think we could have beaten it, but I had to leave early. My grappling human fighter worked pretty well in game, though. A lot of the players were new to each other and not all that experienced with the rules, so that was kind of a hindrance.

I assume there was a way around the portals that would allow you to get to the "right" portal, though? My PC went through the portal and ended up going to the "air" plane, then to the "astral" plane. I'm guessing it had something to do with the incense balls the evil cleric had on level 1... but, my PC had an INT of 8, so couldn't really shout that out at the table.

Unfortunately, because it was a big group, they had to shut it down not long after I had to leave. It took a while to get through everybody's turn each round.

mbcestelle

First Post
I ran it twice already.

The first time, had a group of five players. They managed to defeat the challenge though it was tough they managed to pull together and finished with a few rounds to spare.

The second time, I only had three players. One of the guys played a second character and another was his first time playing 4e. Surprisingly, only one character died during the challenge. They were unable to defeat the challenge as they ran out of time.

Overall, I enjoyed the Lair Assault and will miss not having any more of them. I hope WotC creates another similar program for this year.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I ran it twice already.

The first time, had a group of five players. They managed to defeat the challenge though it was tough they managed to pull together and finished with a few rounds to spare.

The second time, I only had three players. One of the guys played a second character and another was his first time playing 4e. Surprisingly, only one character died during the challenge. They were unable to defeat the challenge as they ran out of time.

Overall, I enjoyed the Lair Assault and will miss not having any more of them. I hope WotC creates another similar program for this year.

Was there a secret to keeping the party together in going from room 1 to room 2? Ours was scattered all over.

mbcestelle

First Post
Was there a secret to keeping the party together in going from room 1 to room 2? Ours was scattered all over.

Yes, there was.

[sblock="Spoiler:"]For the first time, the challenge penalizes you for the skills you leave off. If you have the correct training and make the DC roll, you can control where you end up.[/sblock]

RedFox

First Post
Technically
you only control where OTHER people end up. If you can see them enter. So someone's going to end up being left behind, if they're good at that skill and tip to the idea of sending everyone into the cyst.

Our group ran out of time at 20 rounds, and I spent most of my time sitting around doing nothing because the priest had me perma-dominated. Teaches me for having a 19 Will Defense, but it still wasn't very fun. Dominate: Touch the pillar. Dominate: Touch the pillar again. Dominate: Listen to the whispers and gain a madness effect. Dominate: Do it again. etc.

I ended up with five out of the eight madness effects and got about 3 of the 20 rounds to actually do anything. The Lair Assault lasted nearly 5 hours, too. Found it pretty tedious and exhausting.

Next time I'm bringing a monk with some good ways of avoiding domination.

Riki the centered breath escaped thrall raccoon dog hengeyokai monk.

mbcestelle

First Post
Our group ran out of time at 20 rounds, and I spent most of my time sitting around doing nothing because the priest had me perma-dominated. Teaches me for having a 19 Will Defense, but it still wasn't very fun. Dominate: Touch the pillar. Dominate: Touch the pillar again. Dominate: Listen to the whispers and gain a madness effect. Dominate: Do it again. etc.

Really? Hard to believe it went that badly for you. Did your DM use the requirement for that Dominate effect? I can't believe you had that much bad luck.

Remove ads