Anybody remember the "Warlock" supplement?

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Yup. There’s what they ran at the Caltech gaming club ran in 1977 and therefore what we high schoolers in their orbit played. I remember parts of it very clearly, like the spell points and percentile skills and vast page of weapon vs armor type matrix, and others not at all, mostly because they never came up in our play. In clarity it was certainly light years ahead of AD&D 1e, then in the process of coming out, but that’s a low bar for clarity.

aramis erak

Legend
When I was a boy playing d&d in the late 70s, the group of college kids I played with used a supplement called "Warlock". I can't find any references to it on the net.

Anybody remember this? The cover had a dragon reared up and a wizard (err... warlock) on a rocky pinnacle near the dragon's head.
There are several oldies in the RPGGeek database; I used a cutoff of 1990

In the 90's, there are two RPGs with the name including Warlock prominently, one is not in english.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Not only am I familiar with it, but I've played it (it might be where my user title comes from)! It was still played by CalTech students as recently as a decade ago and you could download the rules in both PDF and Word format online (first from a Yahoo Group and, when those went away, from a private website maintained by a player). Most of those files are now gone forever, though.

Last edited:

Nutation

Explorer
Not only am I familiar with it, but I've played it (it might be where my user title comes from)! It was still played by CalTech students as recently as a decade ago and you could download the rules in both PDF and Word format online (first from a Yahoo Group and, when those went away, from a private website maintained by a player). Most of those files are now gone forever, though.
Still being played in the Los Angeles area by me and others, though not at Caltech. It started as original D&D, was immediately house-ruled, and grew into its own thing.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I still have the PDFs and would love to revisit it. I converted Rob Conley's Blackmarsh setting for use with Warlock. I dumped countless hours into that and setting up a campaign. Sadly, I didn't get to play it as much as I'd like to. Getting players for anything other than D&D 5e around here is a feat.

Remove ads