D&D 5E Anyone converted previous edition Fey?

darjr

I crit!
There is a sale on fey stuff at dmsguild now and when the Whitchlight book drops a companion PDF that is more like the Ravenloft Setting book is supposed to show up on Drivethru too. I dunno if it has a lot of monsters but I think it has a few and rules to make fey Domains of Delight and Arch Fey.
DMSGuild has fey offerings on sale!

affiliate link.

non-affiliate link.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What a coincidence this got necro'd today, because my above mentioned project is coming along nicely, and I just came to an agreement earlier today to hire ENWorlds very own @Gradine as a writer and content creator! Very stoked.

Last edited:

There is a sale on fey stuff at dmsguild now and when the Whitchlight book drops a companion PDF that is more like the Ravenloft Setting book is supposed to show up on Drivethru too. I dunno if it has a lot of monsters but I think it has a few and rules to make fey Domains of Delight and Arch Fey.
DMSGuild has fey offerings on sale!
Yeah, looking over the sale was what got me coming back to this thread. Doesn't look like there is yet one single product that will give me everything I'm looking for, but I'm trying to figure out how to get at much as I can with as few products as possible.

When you say a companion PDF, do you mean from WotC?

darjr

I crit!
Yeah, looking over the sale was what got me coming back to this thread. Doesn't look like there is yet one single product that will give me everything I'm looking for, but I'm trying to figure out how to get at much as I can with as few products as possible.

When you say a companion PDF, do you mean from WotC?
Yes. See the whichkight previews thread.

darjr

I crit!

the Jester

Legend
Thanks!

I'd be particularly interested in seeing your Brownie, Nymph, Oread, Spriggan, Sylph, Fossergrim, and Undine.
Here you go- please note that my spriggan was done before the official version, so think of mine as an alternate. I'm not sure what the character limit on posts is these days, so I will be splitting this in two.

Forgive the formatting, this is a quick cut and paste:

BROWNIE

Source:
1e Monster Manual.

A brownie is a small fey relative of the halfling, reputed to have mixed halfling and pixie blood. Shy but friendly to good folk, brownies usually live in isolated, pastoral settings. Some secret themselves in small villages, living alongside humans and their ilk, but most prefer to maintain a more distant relationship with their larger cousins.

A brownie stands between 18” and 24” tall and weighs about 10 lbs. It has nut-brown skin and red, curly hair. Brownies tend to wear bright green, yellow, or red clothes, usually with bright buckles on their shoes and belts.

Aid to the Good. Brownies are usually willing to aid good creatures in need when they encounter them. They distrust neutral creatures and despise evil, shunning, hindering, or even attempting to kill those whom the brownies believe to be malign.

Brownie Treasure. A group of ten to twenty brownies has a 20% chance each of having 1d6 gems, 1d4 art objects, and 1d4 potions. A group of 21 or more brownies instead has a 30% chance each of having 2d6 gems, 1d6 art objects, and 1d6 potions.

Brownie
Tiny fey, lawful good
Armor Class 14
Hit Points 5 (2d4)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 6 (-2), DEX 18 (+4), CON 10 (+0),
INT 14 (+2), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 13 (+1)

-
Saving Throws Str +0, Con +2, Wis +4, Cha +3
Skills Arcana +4, Nature +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4
Senses passive Perception 12
Languages Halfling, Sylvan
Challenge ½ (100 xp)

Innate Spellcasting. The bronwie's spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 11). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will- dancing lights.
1/day- confusion, misty step, mirror image.

Keen Hearing and Sight. The brownie gains advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks based on sight and hearing.

ACTIONS
Dagger.
Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4+4) piercing damage.

Fade Away. Until the end of its next turn, the brownie becomes invisible to creatures that are more than 5' away from it.

NYMPH

Source:
1e Monster Manual.

A nymph is a fey incarnation of beauty. Reclusive and vain, a nymph is so gorgeous that merely seeing one can blind or kill a creature. A nymph sometimes guards hidden areas of great natural beauty, preventing other creatures from despoiling it through persuasion, magic and the power of the nymph's allies.

Unearthly Beauty. As an embodiment of beauty, a nymph is a dazzling vision, often draped in diaphanous clothing that is easily removed. It is so beautiful that other creatures can sometimes acquire a small piece of its glamor; for example, a female humanoid that bathes in the same water as a nymph within 1 hour of the nymph's having done so increases its Charisma score and maximum by 2 for 24 hours. Sometimes nymph hair or blood is required by the recipes for certain magic items involving beauty or vanity.

Dalliances with Mortal Creatures. A nymph tends to enjoy romance with humans, elves, and other beautiful mortal creatures. While its flighty nature means that such relationships are usually fleeting, sometimes they result in half-nymph offspring that share a small portion of the nymph's beauty. Nymphs aren't very good parents, being too self-involved and narcissistic to pay much attention to something as needy as a child.

When a nymph is either tricked into dallying with a fiend or somehow finds itself sufficiently interested in one, such offspring show both sides of their nature as a forlarren. The nymph inevitably casts such a child out, showing no maternal instincts toward it whatsoever.

Nymph Treasure. Nymphs love beautiful things and are often showered with gifts by would-be suitors and other visitors. A nymph has a 25% chance each of having 2d6 gems and 1d4 art objects and a 20% chance each of having 1d4 potions and 1 random magic item. A group of two to six nymphs instead has a 60% chance each of having 3d8 gems and 2d6 art objects, as well as a 35% chance each of having 1d6+1 potions and 1d2 random magic items. A group of seven or more nymphs instead has a 60% chance each of having 5d10 gems and 3d6 art objects, as well as a 50% chance each to having 2d6 potions and 1d4 random magic items.

Nymph
Medium fey, chaotic good
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 27 (6d8)
Speed 30 ft.

STR 10 (+0), DEX 17 (+3), CON 10 (+0),
INT 16 (+3), WIS 17 (+3), CHA 30 (+10)

Skills Deception +12, Persuasion +12
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Sylvan
Challenge 4 (1,100 xp)

Spellcasting. The nymph is a 7th level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, guidance, poison spray, shillelagh.
1st level (4 slots): cure wounds, entangle, faerie fire.
2nd level (3 slots): animal messenger, heat metal, lesser restoration.
3rd level (3 slots): call lightning, dispel magic.
4th level (1 slots): freedom of movement, ice storm.

Unearthly Beauty. A humanoid that starts its turn within 30' of the nymph and doesn't avert its eyes must make a DC 20 Constitution save or be permanently blinded. If the nymph is nude, a creature that fails its save by 5 or more instead falls to 0 hit points. A creature that is immune to the charmed condition is immune to this effect.

A creature that averts its eyes can't see the nymph until the start of the creature's next turn.

ACTIONS
Dagger.
Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d4+3) piercing damage.

Stunning Glance. The nymph glances at one creature within 30'. The target must make a DC 20 Wisdom save or be stunned for 1 minute, repeating the save at the end of each of its turn and ending the effect on a success. A creature that is immune to the charmed condition is immune to this effect.

OREAD
Source:
3e Fiend Folio (originally from 1e Deities and Demigods).

An oread is a fey creature linked to a mountain, similar to how a dryad is linked to a tree. The oread guards the natural state of its mountain against those who would exploit its resources through mining, quarrying or deforesting it. An individual miner might be warned off and sent on its way, but a large party is likely to meet utter disaster.

An oread appears as a stern, handsome woman with stony skin. Its hair appears to be made of strands of stringy lichen, and is white when snow covers its mountain peak. An oread often wears a gown or dress woven from the metals of the mountain, and many wear uncut gems taken from the hidden depths of their mountain.

Willing Host for Monsters. An oread fiercely guards her mountain's untrammeled state, and prefers the presence of monsters over that of more civilized folk, since monsters are less likely to steal away the mountain's treasures. Even a wyvern that lairs in a crack in her mountain, jealously guarding a vein of metal or gems, doesn't actually damage the natural state of the mountain. A clan of dwarves, on the other hand, is bound to tunnel and dig, stealing her mountain's very bones, and such things can't be tolerated.

Brilliant Engineers. Oreads are brilliant stoneworkers and engineers. They rarely use these skills except when arranging deadly traps for those who would exploit their home mountain. An oread has neither need nor desire to build shelter or walls. It prefers to live on the natural ledges and heights of its peak, using its abilities to create deadfalls, avalanches, rockfalls and other similar traps that use the natural surroundings.

Oread Treasure. If an oread's secret cave lair can be found, it is 90% likely to contain 2d4 gems.

Oread
Medium fey, lawful neutral
Armor Class 18 (natural armor)
Hit Points 75 (10d6+40)
Speed 30 ft., burrow 30 ft.

STR 19 (+4), DEX 13 (+1), CON 18 (+4),
INT 14 (+2), WIS 13 (+1), CHA 16 (+3)

Saving Throws Dex +3
Skills Survival +3
Damage Immunities cold
Senses passive Perception 11
Languages Dwarven, Sylvan, Terran
Challenge 4 (1,100 xp)

Earth Glide. The oread can burrow through nonmagical, unworked earth and stone. While doing so, the elemental doesn't disturb the material it moves through.

Innate Spellcasting. The oread can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components and using Charisma as her spellcasting ability (save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks):
3/day- charm monster (will affect any creature type, but otherwise as charm person), spike growth, stone shape, transmute rock.
1/day- earthquake, move earth.

Mountain Dependency. For every hour that the oread spends more than one mile from its mountain, the oread gains one level of exhaustion that it can't lose until it completes a long rest within one mile of its mountain.

ACTIONS

Multiattack.
The oread makes two slam attacks.

Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6+4) bludgeoning damage.

Mountain Step. The oread instantly teleports from one spot on its mountain to another with no chance of error.

Stone Tell. The oread speaks to a stone or rock area, surface or object. The stone is friendly to her, and can relate what it has overheard or felt, but has no other senses.

SPRIGGAN
Source:
3e Fiend Folio
Spriggans are evil forest-dwelling cousins of gnomes who split from gnomekind eons ago over a joke gone wrong. Spriggans have the magical ability to grow to about the size of an ogre, often delivering a nasty surprise to enemies who underestimate it.

Spriggans are disgusting and foul, and carry a rank odor of grease and rancid flesh with them. They mat their red hair with lard to tease it into intimdiating wild shapes, and love to grow it to ridiculous lengths. A spriggan might have a wild, bushy mustache, lambchop sideburns, and a flared beard. Many work to grow exaggerated eyebrows and lashes, too. A spriggan is normally around 3' high, but when it enlarges itself, it grows to about 12' in height.

Bad Humor. Gnomes say that spriggans went bad because they can't take a joke, and there is certainly some truth to that. A spriggan that is the victim of a practical joke is most likely to respond with murderous rage, rather than laughing it off. Nonetheless, spriggans maintain the gnomish interest in jokes and pranks, albeit with a twist toward cruelty, as long as those jokes and pranks are played by the spriggans and not on them.

Spriggan Treasure. A typical spriggan carries 2d12 sp, 1d6 ep, and 2d10 gp. The lair of a pack of three to twelve spriggans also has a 25% chance each of having 1d8 x 100 sp, 1d6 x 100 gp, and 2d10 x 10 gp in trade goods. The lair of a gang of 13 to 40 spriggans instead also has a 30% chance each of having 2d6 x 250 sp, 2d10 x 100 gp, and 3d6 x 50 in trade goods, plus a 10% chance to have 1d4 potions (1-5), 1 piece of magical clothing (6-7), or 1 magic weapon (8-10).

Spriggan
Small fey (gnome), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (chain shirt)
Hit Points 22 (5d6+5)
Speed 25 ft.

STR 13 (+1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 12 (+1),
INT 11 (+0), WIS 9 (-1), CHA 11 (+0)

Skills Intimidation +2, Stealth +5
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Gnomish, Common, Sylvan
Challenge 1 (200 xp)

Gnome Cunning. The spriggan has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.

Innate Spellcasting. The spriggan is an 8th level caster. Its innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 10, spell attack +2). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will- produce flame, scare
1/day- shatter

Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the spriggan can deal an extra 7 (2d6) damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the spriggan that isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS

Enlarge (recharges after a short or long rest).
For 1 minute, the spriggan magically increases its size, along with anything it is wearing or carrying. While enlarged, the spriggan is Large, doubles its damage dice on Strength-based weapon attacks (included in the attacks), and makes Strength checks and saves with advantage. If it lacks the room to become Large, the spriggan attains the maximum size possible for the space available.

Long Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) slashing damage, or 6 (1d10+1) slashing damage if wielded in both hands; or 10 (2d8+1) slashing damage if enlarged, or 12 (2d10+1) slashing damage if enlarged and wielded in both hands.

Spriggan Enforcer
Small fey (gnome), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (chain shirt)
Hit Points 54 (12d6+12)
Speed 25 ft.

STR 17 (+3), DEX 16 (+3), CON 12 (+1),
INT 14 (+2), WIS 9 (-1), CHA 13 (+1)

Skills Insight +1, Itimidation +3, Stealth +6
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 9
Languages Gnomish, Common, Sylvan
Challenge 3 (700 xp)

Gnome Cunning. The spriggan has advantage on Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saves against magic.

Innate Spellcasting. The spriggan is an 8th level caster. Its innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 11, spell attack +3). It can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will- produce flame, scare
1/day- shatter

Martial Advantage. Once per turn, the spriggan can deal an extra 10 (3d6) damage to a creature it hits with a weapon attack if that creature is within 5 feet of an ally of the spriggan that isn't incapacitated.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The spriggan attacks twice with its battle axe.

Enlarge (recharges after a short or long rest). For 1 minute, the spriggan magically increases its size, along with anything it is wearing or carrying. While enlarged, the spriggan is Large, doubles its damage dice on Strength-based weapon attacks (included in the attacks), and makes Strength checks and saves with advantage. If it lacks the room to become Large, the spriggan attains the maximum size possible for the space available.

Battle Axe. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) slashing damage, or 8 (1d10+3) slashing damage if wielded in both hands; or 12 (2d8+3) slashing damage if enlarged, or 14 (2d10+3) slashing damage if enlarged and wielded in both hands.

Frightful Blow (recharges after a short or long rest). The spriggan makes one attack with its battle axe. If it hits, each ally of the target within 30' that can see the spriggan must succeed on a DC 11 Wisdom save or become frightened of the spriggan until the end of the spriggan's next turn.

the Jester

Legend
splitting this in two....
The sylph, fossergrim, and undine, or at least my takes on 'em.

SYLPH
Source:
2e Monstrous Manual.

A sylph resembles a beautiful female elf with gossamer wings resembling those of a dragonfly. Though the wings are only about 4' to 5' long, they allow the sylph to fly adroitly. Sylphs are said to be the result of the crossing of fey with some sort of air elemental creature; one theory suggests that nymphs and aerial servants may have dallied to create the first sylphs. Sylphs rarely descend into the lowlands, preferring higher elevations. Most sylphs live isolated lives, frolicking with the winds and flying creatures.

Lovers of Mortal Men. All sylphs are female. They reproduce by dallying with mortal males, preferring elves but sometimes accepting a halfling or human. Three months after conception, the sylph lays a silvery egg and summons an air elemental to guard it. Six months later, a delicate female child with wing buds hatches from it. The child grows approximately as fast as a human child, and its wings are grown enough for it to fly by the age of 10.

Generational Meetings. Every 28 years, a great gathering of sylphs from all over the world takes place. There, the sylphs renew friendships, welcome new members of the community, share news and rumors, and tell tales of their accomplishments.

Sylph Treasure. Sylphs favor gems. Each sylph has a 50% chance of having 2d12 gems.

Sylph
Medium fey, neutral good
Armor Class 11
Hit Points 17 (5d8-5)
Speed 30 ft., fly 90 ft.

STR 8 (-1), DEX 13 (+1), CON 8 (-1),
INT 15 (+2), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 17 (+3)

Skills Acrobatics +3, Persuasion +5, Stealth +3
Senses passive Perception 13
Languages Auran, Sylvan
Challenge 4 (1,100 xp)

Invisibility. The sylph can become invisible as a bonus action. Its invisibility lasts as long as it concentrates, and it doesn't end if the sylph attacks or casts a spell.

Magic Resistance. The sylph has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Spellcasting. The sylph is a 7th level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 12, +4 to hit with spell attacks). It has the following spells prepared:
Cantrips (at will): blade ward, dancing lights, friends, ray of frost.
1st level (4 slots): magic missile, shield.
2nd level (3 slots): magic mouth, Melf's acid arrow.
3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, lightning bolt, slow.
4th level (1 slots): dimension door, ice storm.

ACTIONS

Dagger.
Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d4+1) piercing damage.

Summon Air Elemental (1/day). An air elemental appears within 60 ft. of the sylph. It is friendly to the sylph and obeys her spoken commands. The elemental remains until the sylph dismisses it or until 1 hour passes.

If the sylph summons the elemental to guard its egg, the elemental remains until the egg hatches.

FOSSERGRIM
Source:
3e Fiend Folio.

A fossergrim is a reclusive fey that is tied to a waterfall, much like a dryad is linked to her oak tree. The fossergrim appears as a handsome human male with bluish-white hair.

The fossergrim doesn't usually bother creatures that bathe or drink from its waterfall, but those who pollute it, seek to dam or divert it, or otherwise offer insult or harm to the waterfall arouse the fossergrim's wrath.

Bound to Stay Close to Home. The fossergrim draws its strength from its waterfall. If it ever leaves it, it sickens and dies.Thus, a fossergrim only travels any distance under the most extreme duress, and if it must do so, it constantly complains about its aches and pains, about its growing insecurity and apprehension, and about how vulnerable its waterfall is without the fossergrim to watch over it.

Lovers of Mortal Women. Fossergrims are notorious for seducing humanoid women, often leaving them pregnant. The child appears human at first, but as it ages, it eventually abandons its home to go seek a waterfall of its own.

Fossergrim Treasure. A fossergrim is 25% likely each to have 1d8 x 100 cp, sp, ep, and gp in the pool into which its watefall flows. It also has a 30% chance each to have 1d6 gems and pieces of jewelry.

Fossergrim
Medium fey, neutral
Armor Class 16 (chain)
Hit Points 37 (5d8+15)
Speed 30 ft., swim 60 ft.

STR 15 (+2), DEX 17 (+3), CON 16 (+3),
INT 12 (+1), WIS 15 (+2), CHA 18 (+4)

Senses green eyes, passive Perception 12
Languages Sylvan, Common
Challenge 2 (450 xp)

Power of the Splashing Waters. If the fossergrim starts its turn in splashing waters, it regains 5 hit points.

If the fossergrim is in spashing water, it has advantage on all saving throws and on attacks against creatures also in splashing water.

Waterfall Dependency. For every hour that the fossergrim spends more than 1,000' from its waterfall, the fossergrim gains one level of exhaustion that it can't lose until it completes a long rest within 1,000' of its waterfall.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The fossergrim makes two attacks with its battleaxe or two attacks with its longbow.

Battleaxe. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+2) slashing damage, or 7 (1d10+2) slashing damage if wielded in both hands.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, range 150/600', one target. Hit: 7 (1d8+3) piercing damage.

UNDINE
Source:
Homebrewed.

An undine is a water fey that looks like a beautiful. Blue-skinned, elfin-featured woman garbed in a swirling dress made of water. Usually friendly if approached with respect, the undine is as flighty and unpredictable as water itself, and is usually encountered in or near running water. If her wrath is aroused, her enemies will discover, to their chagrin, that she can use the water itself as a weapon- and if no other water is available, she can use the water she is wearing.

Keeper of Watery Secrets. An undine is usually aware of several underwater caves, areas hidden behind waterfalls, concealed coves, and similar areas. Sometimes, one will know the location of shipwrecks, submerged cities or dungeons, or lost treasures. However, the fickle undine's favor must usually be earned before it will reveal its knowledge. It might want an enemy or a local predator that it fears destroyed, a gift of pearls or shells, or some other desire fulfilled to share such information. Often, a bargain with an undine involves fulfilling some kind of whimsical or childish whim.

Undine Treasure. An undine's lair is 40% likely each to have 1d10 gems (often pearls) and 1d6 pieces of jewelry, and 15% likely each to have 1d2 pieces of magical jewelry (1-3) or miscellaneous magic items (4-6).

Undine
Medium fey, chaotic neutral
Armor Class 14 (water armor)
Hit Points 21 (6d6)
Speed 30 ft., swim 50 ft.
-
STR 8 (-1), DEX 13 (+1), CON 10 (+0),
INT 12 (+1), WIS 13 (+1), CHA 15 (+2)

Skills Acrobatics +3, Athletics +1
Damage Resistances fire
Damage Immunities cold
Senses green eyes., passive Perception 11
Languages Aquan, Sylvan
Challenge 1 (200 xp)

Aquatic. The undine can breathe both air and water.

Water Mistress. The undine is unaffected by currents, rapids, or other hazards caused by or composed of water.

ACTIONS

Rush of Water.
The undine chooses one creature she can see within 60' and unleashes a barrage of water at it. That creature must make a DC 12 Strength save, suffering 14 (4d6) bludgeoning damage on a failure or half that on a success. In addition, if a creature fails its save, the undine can move it up to 20'.

REACTIONS

Watery Wrath (1/day).
When the undine becomes bloodied, she can use her reaction to use Rush of Water against up to three different targets.

the Jester

Legend
Just a quick note- Green Eyes is a custom trait that allows a creature to see twice as far through watery conditions as a land-dwelling creature could. So it enhances vision through turbid water, allows them to see better through kelp or other obstructions, increases the depth at which they can see, etc.

dave2008

Legend
Here you go- please note that my spriggan was done before the official version, so think of mine as an alternate. I'm not sure what the character limit on posts is these days, so I will be splitting this in two.

Forgive the formatting, this is a quick cut and paste:
@the Jester , do you mind if I steal these, re-format them and post them over in my 5e Updates: Monstrous Compendium ?

I will of course credit you as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases