• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else backed Dragonbane?

Not sure how I feel about those advancement rules yet, but the system does seem intriguing. And Free League makes some great product.
Yeah, not a big fan either (generally, not only in Dragonbane). I suspect that's one of the things I am going to remove with house rules.
But I guess, the BRP legacy, which seems to be important especially to the Swedish player base.

S'mon

Legend
I like the BRP-based advancement rules a lot, it's one of the things that differentiates it from level based games like D&D. I think doing the end of session awards as a cooldown should work well. I was wondering about allowing +1 to an Attribute as a Heroic Ability. That generally seems weaker than most HAs, roughly equivalent to Robust, but deals with the hangnail feel of having a 12 or 15, just below the next higher level for skills.

S'mon

Legend
One thing I've been doing is going through my printouts underlining Boon & Bane; it's easy to miss that eg shields give a Boon on parry attempts.

S'mon

Legend
While the game is generally lower powered than 5e D&D, some of the HAs look set to change that. I can see a dual sword wielding plate armoured knight with Duel Wielder + Double Slash cutting down 4 enemies in a round as their attacks bounce off him...

S'mon

Legend
Playing first game Sunday, I have to decide whether to convert the Quickstart PCs to the Beta rules with the much longer skill list. I wish they'd stuck with a shorter list.

MacDhomnuill

Explorer
Getting my kids switched over from dnd5e now, I actually prefer the longer skill list but I am old hat BRP and other skill based games. In fact until I started the 5e pandemic game I haded played a class and level game since 5th grade in 1986.

S'mon

Legend
First game today! Players happy, some said they preferred it to 5e - and it should get even better after teething troubles. We did have a PC death - Trystan the Bard (seen here at the back during attack on goblin camp) repeatedly shot by goblin arrows while playing his flute. He was on 0 hp and still fluting away when a lucky shot did his hp in damage and felled the unfortunate musician.

1676245989224.png

Maletherin

Explorer
First game today! Players happy, some said they preferred it to 5e - and it should get even better after teething troubles. We did have a PC death - Trystan the Bard (seen here at the back during attack on goblin camp) repeatedly shot by goblin arrows while playing his flute. He was on 0 hp and still fluting away when a lucky shot did his hp in damage and felled the unfortunate musician.

View attachment 275396
Good, sir, that duck rocks!

Remove ads