Anyone else have a hard time adjusting to Str, Dex, Con

Its 30 years ago, 1e/2e and all our character sheets, and adventures I wrote

Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Chr

and I still have to pause and process in my mind that everyone know does Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Chr

I feel Int, Wis got the short end of the stick, with someone deciding Dex and Con are way more important and so inferior abilities go to the back of the line.

I'm unconvinced of the notion of order suggesting importance or inferiority. Excepting when speaking about a single, specific attribute, people almost always talk about all of them at once, so the order doesn't really mean much.

SIWDCCh made sense in oD&D where the first three stats shared a category of 'being xp-boosters for each of the 3 classes' and the next three being general utility enhancers for all classes (with Charisma, the last one, being the most useful). The instant supplement I came out, introducing the thief class (using a former utility stat as a prime requisite) and making encumbrance Str-dependent (making class A care about class B's prime requisite, although technically this was true with Int already, given that it gave extra languages-known), any sort of coherence to this was disrupted. The order then changed to grouping physical together and socio-mental together, which, although kinda arbitrary, was the best categorical grouping left available.

Personally, I would have just alphabetized them, but if not that I don't know that there is any practical reason for any specific order.

It's just 'physical' then 'mental' stats. Nothing to do with inferiority. At some point, it was felt that was a logical grouping.
I dug out my 2nd edition PHB and while it doesn't have a character sheet, it lists the stats in the abilities section in the new order Str, Dex, Con etc. So I guess at that point everyone changed except for me whose character sheets were still in the 1e format.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Wasn't there an iteration of D&D (I want to say BECMI), where the order was Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis, Cha instead of Str, Dex Con, Int, Wis, Cha? Because I keep wanting to switch Dexterity and Constitution around, and I could swear that's why.

darkwillow

Explorer
I am much more troubled by the abbreviation CHR for Charisma.
official game accessories tho:

1647530158088.png

Remove ads