• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone else having a problem updating the Character Builder?

Lojaan

Hero
When I try to update it AVG (my security program) halts it saying high level malware threat detected, CB closes down, and I get one of those 'send error report/don't send' boxes. I've never had a problem before.

How's it going with everyone else?

Well the server was down for a while but now no probs on either my laptop or main PC. I use NOD and get no AV warnings, just shut AVG down then DL it. AVG was deleting iTunes just recently (IIRC) so it maybe being a bit trigger happy! That said NOD insists that the ask.com task bar is malware so AVG is not alone in this

Shroomy

Adventurer
I didn't have any problems with the update on 8-4 or the emergency fix on 8-5. I had to give my approval to my security software like a billion times, but no real problems.

Probably some kind of false alarm. Unless the Charbuilder is indeed malware. ;)

It's not that uncommon, we had it with our software, too. Very unfortunate, though, because it confuses customers and you might get a bad reputation. But usually calling in the creator of the security software can fix this quickly.

Rydac

Explorer
When I try to update it AVG (my security program) halts it saying high level malware threat detected, CB closes down, and I get one of those 'send error report/don't send' boxes. I've never had a problem before.

How's it going with everyone else?

Yes I'm having problems too. Nothing to do with anti-virus or security. It says it is downloading and please be patient, but nada has happened in two days of trying.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I've tried to update it a couple of times since Tuesday and each time it just doesn't work - eventually when I hit cancel download (after ten or fifteen minutes) I get the "we're having problems" message.

I'll try getting the download directly from the Wizards site and go from there.

Henrix

Explorer
I have two simple things that may (or not) help some of you:

1) Do you have administrative rights when running the updater? I had this problem when I tried updating the first time.

2) Are you running the full version (i.e. paid subscription)? The updater does not work in the demo, you have to download a new updated copy and reinstall.

Obryn

Hero
Running Vista, I had problems with this update at first. I ended up running CB as Administrator, then letting the update do its thing.

I think something might have been broken with the progress bar - it updated successfully, but I never saw the progress bar move.

-O

Remove ads