D&D General Anyone else heard of this dungeon 23 thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
If that is all you're going to do, you can find online generators, right?
I mean I guess, but an online generator is just soulless RNG. If I’m doing it myself, there will be a human brain fitting the results together in a conscious manner, ignoring the random results when they harm the overall design, and occasionally hand-crafting things entirely. And it’s not like I’m going to randomly generate the rooms themselves, just their contents.
I'm using this opportunity to update my first megadungeon to modern rules via an entire rebuild. I'm not going to hold myself to a room every day (because I have a life), but I will hold myself to 28 to 31 per month. Before it begins (tomorrow) I am respecking the plot, major players, and storylines. I will revise as I go, but I already know that:

1.) The 'dungeon' is an island with a village, fort, mansion and cavern complex under it - and mirror versions in the Shadowfell (a Ravenloft domain), Feywild (the abode of a Trickster Archfey), and the Ethereal Plane. It will go into the Underdark, as well as connect to additional planes. (Elemental, Hells, Astral).

2.) There are villains aplenty. There are short term low level groups with a bad guy leader, medium level powers that will stand in the way of the PCs, and high level threats that lurk in the shadows. I know what each wants, what each knows, and where they'll be located, roughly.

3.) Because it is 4 overlapping mirrored planes I will only need about 120 layouts - but many of them will be used 2, 3 or 4 times with modifications.
That sounds awesome! Good luck with it!

jgsugden

Legend
I mean I guess, but an online generator is just soulless RNG. If I’m doing it myself, there will be a human brain fitting the results together in a conscious manner, ignoring the random results when they harm the overall design, and occasionally hand-crafting things entirely. And it’s not like I’m going to randomly generate the rooms themselves, just their contents.
Is that less work than just creating? If you put in the effort in advance and have a plan, then writing an average of a room a day is pretty easy stuff, right? On the other hand, taking random offerings and then figuring out how to retrofit/regenerate them to fit into elements that were fairly randomly assembled earlier and that you don't have a creative tie to seems much harder.

It sort of feels like the difference between assembling a 3 foot by 3 foot 1500 piece showing thousands of people in a marathon and drawing a 3 foot by 3 foot picture showing a scene from your favorite book.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Is that less work than just creating?
Overall, probably about the same amount of work. But the important thing is that it’s work that can easily be done at a steady pace.
If you put in the effort in advance and have a plan, then writing an average of a room a day is pretty easy stuff, right?
I mean, I’ll be doing some advance work either way, and I’ll be doing an average of one room a day either way. The important thing is finding a workflow that’s going to be easy to maintain over a whole year.
On the other hand, taking random offerings and then figuring out how to retrofit/regenerate them to fit into elements that were fairly randomly assembled earlier and that you don't have a creative tie to seems much harder.
I disagree. Random generation is a great seed from which inspiration can bloom. Starting from a blank slate is a lot more overwhelming.
It sort of feels like the difference between assembling a 3 foot by 3 foot 1500 piece showing thousands of people in a marathon and drawing a 3 foot by 3 foot picture showing a scene from your favorite book.
I don’t follow the analogy. Regardless, by all means do whatever works for you. I know if I overplan in the early stages I’m gonna run out of steam before the end of the year.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are already two other threads on this on the first page of the forums.

So a third is a bit much. I'm going to close this one, and direct people to those others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads